A Leg Cramp Treatment???

> OK Bananas have l bunch of availible Potassium, but as
> everyone here should know, they also contain a good dose
> of carbohydrates. What other foods have a high potassium
> concentration, but now carbs?? I have heard that "TVP"
> contains a lot. TVP is Textured Vegetable Protien made
> from Soya (usually). I am not sure if it is naturally
> occuring or added. What are some others?

Food sources of potassium:

bananas figs raisins orange juice potatoes garlic yogurt
whle grains honeydew melon prunes dates tomato puree dried
apricots swede raisins lima beans cantaloupe strawberries
winter squash tomato juice vegetable juice cocktail avocado
cooked dried beans black strap molasses beef chicken halibut
pork salmon veal parsnips peanut butter plums spinach
watermelon yams

and from Wikipedia:

Potassium in the body Potassium is an important ion in the
body, its concentration in the blood is closely regulated as
minor fluctuations can affect action potentials causing
heart and nervous problems. Many antibiotics, such as the
one produced by the bacterium Bacillus brevis, affect cells
by setting up positive ion gates, where the K+ and Na+ ions
are permitted to cross the membrane, thus disrupting the
action potential of the cell membrane. Potassium is at a
relatively low level in blood plasma (usually 3.5 -
5. mmol/L), but at a high concentration inside cells (about
100 mmol/L). Low blood levels are called hypokalemia,
high levels are hyperkalemia; both high and low levels
are dangerous to the heart.

For info on cramp from a sport point of view try the
archives of:

http://bjsm.bmjjournals.com/ http://journal.ajsm.org/
http://tinyurl.com/22psp

Might [or might not] have anything useful. [Suggested by a
cycling friend who is not diabetic but is periodically
plagued with leg cramp.]

The cycling friend also vaguely remembered a government
study of dehydration amongst miners during the war years
which showed that 1 spoonful of salt and 4 spoonfuls of
sugar dissolved in a pint glass of warm water, followed by
plain water, alleviated dehydration, but he couldn't
remember any more about it, and thought that formula
wouldn't be much use to a diabetic.

Maggie

I did find one sports drink Ultima replenisher lemon/lime It
has 9 grams of carb. I know nothing about it other than the
website www.ultimareplenisher.com.

PJ

"Peanutjake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Thanks Jennifer. Because of a heart attack with heart
> damage some 5 years ago the doctor
has me on 2 diaretics.
> Demadex and Spirolactone, in order to prevent fluid
> buildup in the lungs
and heart sack. That makes
> for a lot of urination. I also am on a potassium pill. But
> still have leg
cramps.

> hba1c=6.3

You need to mention the leg cramps to your Dr. And what is
normal for your lab on the A1c? 6.3 is a bit high for mine.
You might have an imbalance due to the potassium pill or it
might be something else like neuropathy or a circulation
problem. At any rate, don't self treat.

--
Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

> >> I am not looking for opinions, but I am looking for
> >> proof.
> >Well you're looking in the wrong place Peanut. This is a
> >newsgroup not a science lab. Having said that, I cured
> >leg cramps instantly. A lick of
salt.
> >Beav
>
> Quinine will reduce leg cramps. not sure on diabetic
> implications though.

Try 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar - - -It works for
me.

George D

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 18:54:33 +1100, Alan
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 22:49:01 -0800 (PST),
>[email protected] (rainbow) wrote:
>
>>CPM. for me ... calcium, potassium, magnesium. I see
>>someone posted a list of foods, that all work for me. And
>>I take an OTC CPM supplement. My mom does, too, but also
>>the quinine water that her dr. said to. Alternately, he
>>suggested white raisins. ( NOT dark ones ) soaked in gin.
>>He aid his running partner used this. He told her to soak
>>them in gin and keep them in the fridge and eat about 10
>>before bed ... Oh boy, I hope I don't start a stampede to
>>the liquor cabinet and the fridge ! LOL ! I also have an
>>herbal hot pack I use. I heat in the microwave and apply
>>it before bed. It is a fabric pillow type thing, filled
>>with herbal material. It helps. Rainbow
>
>Gin-soaked raisins? Might not cure the cramp, but if ate
>enough of them, I probably wouldn't care, at least until
>the hangover in the morning ;-) Cheers, Alan, T2,
>Australia.

My mum creates Damson Gin.......bloody lovely stuff but
terrible for BG.

Pete

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 19:54:32 -0000, "Beav"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Peanutjake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> >berlin.de...
> >> I was talking to a friend who is an athletic coach. I
> >> told him about the leg cramps I get at night. He said
> >> that when a athlete sweats a lot he can suffer from leg
> >> cramps
> >because of an electrolyte
> >> imbalance.. To avoid this the athlete drinks a Sport
> >> Drink like
Gatorade.

> >> Well as a diabetic, I urinate a lot and, I presume,
> >> lose a lot of
> >electrolytes. I told him that
> >> Gatorade has too many carbs for me. He said that I
> >> probably could find a carb free substitute at a health
food
> >store.
>
> >> Well, before I go shopping and spend my money I thought
> >> that I would
ask
> >here if there was any
> >> scientific evidence that would help.
>
> >> I am not looking for opinions, but I am looking for
> >> proof.
> >Well you're looking in the wrong place Peanut. This is a
> >newsgroup not a science lab. Having said that, I cured
> >leg cramps instantly. A lick of
salt.
> >Beav
>
> Quinine will reduce leg cramps. not sure on diabetic
> implications though.

When I had leg cramps I discovered pretty quickly that a
sprinkle of salt on my min meal stopped it dead in it's
tracks. I told the doc this, but he prescribed Quinine
Sulphate (not BIsulphate). Anyone interested in a packet
:)

I prefer the lick of salt myself. At least with that I KNOW
what the risks are.

Beav

Thanks Maggie!

and I just got some "lower carb" Molasses to use for
flavoring..

--Jeremy

Maggie Davey wrote:
>>OK Bananas have l bunch of availible Potassium, but as
>>everyone here should know, they also contain a good dose
>>of carbohydrates. What other foods have a high potassium
>>concentration, but now carbs?? I have heard that "TVP"
>>contains a lot. TVP is Textured Vegetable Protien made
>>from Soya (usually). I am not sure if it is naturally
>>occuring or added. What are some others?
>

> Food sources of potassium:
>
> bananas figs raisins orange juice potatoes garlic yogurt
> whle grains honeydew melon prunes dates tomato puree dried
> apricots swede raisins lima beans cantaloupe strawberries
> winter squash tomato juice vegetable juice cocktail
> avocado cooked dried beans black strap molasses beef
> chicken halibut pork salmon veal parsnips peanut butter
> plums spinach watermelon yams
>
> and from Wikipedia:
>
> Potassium in the body Potassium is an important ion in the
> body, its concentration in the blood is closely regulated
> as minor fluctuations can affect action potentials causing
> heart and nervous problems. Many antibiotics, such as the
> one produced by the bacterium Bacillus brevis, affect
> cells by setting up positive ion gates, where the K+ and
> Na+ ions are permitted to cross the membrane, thus
> disrupting the action potential of the cell membrane.
> Potassium is at a relatively low level in blood plasma
> (usually 3.5 -
> 5. mmol/L), but at a high concentration inside cells
> (about 100 mmol/L). Low blood levels are called
> hypokalemia, high levels are hyperkalemia; both high
> and low levels are dangerous to the heart.
>

> For info on cramp from a sport point of view try the
> archives of:
>
> http://bjsm.bmjjournals.com/ http://journal.ajsm.org/
> http://tinyurl.com/22psp
>
> Might [or might not] have anything useful. [Suggested by a
> cycling friend who is not diabetic but is periodically
> plagued with leg cramp.]
>
> The cycling friend also vaguely remembered a government
> study of dehydration amongst miners during the war years
> which showed that 1 spoonful of salt and 4 spoonfuls of
> sugar dissolved in a pint glass of warm water, followed by
> plain water, alleviated dehydration, but he couldn't
> remember any more about it, and thought that formula
> wouldn't be much use to a diabetic.
>
> Maggie

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:27:44 -0000, "Beav"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 19:54:32 -0000, "Beav"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >"Peanutjake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>> >berlin.de...
>> >because of an electrolyte
>Gatorade.

>> >electrolytes. I told him that
>food
>> >store.

>ask
>> >here if there was any

>> >Well you're looking in the wrong place Peanut. This is a
>> >newsgroup not a science lab. Having said that, I cured
>> >leg cramps instantly. A lick of
>salt.
>> >Beav
>>
>> Quinine will reduce leg cramps. not sure on diabetic
>> implications though.
>
>When I had leg cramps I discovered pretty quickly that a
>sprinkle of salt on my min meal stopped it dead in it's
>tracks. I told the doc this, but he prescribed Quinine
>Sulphate (not BIsulphate). Anyone interested in a packet
>:)

Ah that's the stuff!!

>I prefer the lick of salt myself. At least with that I KNOW
>what the risks are. Beav

Bet its a bugger sharing with the sheep eh??

Pete

"Ted Rosenberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> cc'd by email WHY ARN"T YOU TAKING YOUR MEDS ? !!!

Big assumption there Ted. I take it you came to that
conclusion because he urinates a lot? Well that's not
necessarily because he's not taking his meds. I know it's
not, because *I* urinate a lot too and with an A1c in the
5%'s, I doubt that I could be accused of not taking MY meds.
Why do I urinate a lot? Because I drink a lot.

> You are clearly out of control, and dehydrating.
>
> Also, a sport drink makes it WORSE for diabetics

I think if you read peanuts post properly Ted, you'll see he
already knows that. Preaching to the converted doesn't
usually do any good I've found.

> Eat bananas today (for potassium), and IMMEDIATLY get your
> BG under control, or you will see a lot worse then leg
> cramps soon.
>

> When your BG is under control, your leg cramps, frequent
> urination, dry mouth, etc. will all go away.

If only that were true!!! Regular BG tests throughout the
day of between 3 and 8, and an A1c for the last fkuc knows
how many years of 5% or thereabouts and I STILL get leg
cramps occasionally. The cold weather doesn't help.

> Without control, your kidneys will fail, OR, if you are
> lucky, you will merely lose your arms and legs.

Indeed, but IS he out of control?

Beav

Beav Yes, it is possible he is NOT out of control, BUT he is
describing a classic case of BG running over 200.

NO, in any single case it might not be the reason, but
in light of his discription, I'd but the odds at better
than 20 to 1

People THINK that they urinate a lot because they
drink a lot, in most cases (but not 100%) it is the
other way around.

This is not an occasional leg cramp, this guy is going so
much that his electrolytes are being drained, REGULARLY,
THAT is pathalogical

In a diabetic, the main reason is high BG

Beav wrote:

> "Ted Rosenberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>cc'd by email WHY ARN"T YOU TAKING YOUR MEDS ? !!!
>

> Big assumption there Ted. I take it you came to that
> conclusion because he urinates a lot? Well that's not
> necessarily because he's not taking his meds. I know it's
> not, because *I* urinate a lot too and with an A1c in the
> 5%'s, I doubt that I could be accused of not taking MY
> meds. Why do I urinate a lot? Because I drink a lot.
>
>>You are clearly out of control, and dehydrating.
>>
>>Also, a sport drink makes it WORSE for diabetics
>

> I think if you read peanuts post properly Ted, you'll see
> he already knows that. Preaching to the converted doesn't
> usually do any good I've found.
>
>>Eat bananas today (for potassium), and IMMEDIATLY get your
>>BG under control, or you will see a lot worse then leg
>>cramps soon.
>>

>>When your BG is under control, your leg cramps, frequent
>>urination, dry mouth, etc. will all go away.
>

> If only that were true!!! Regular BG tests throughout the
> day of between 3 and 8, and an A1c for the last fkuc knows
> how many years of 5% or thereabouts and I STILL get leg
> cramps occasionally. The cold weather doesn't help.
>
>>Without control, your kidneys will fail, OR, if you are
>>lucky, you will merely lose your arms and legs.
>

> Indeed, but IS he out of control?
>
> Beav

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >When I had leg cramps I discovered pretty quickly that a
> >sprinkle of salt
on
> >my min meal stopped it dead in it's tracks. I told the
> >doc this, but he prescribed Quinine Sulphate (not
> >BIsulphate). Anyone interested in a
packet
> >:)
>
> Ah that's the stuff!!

I've heard a lot of people talk of bi-sulphate, but when
I mentioned it to the doc when he prescribed bi, he said
bi-sulphate isn't the right thing. I dunno, coz I don't
take either-)

> >I prefer the lick of salt myself. At least with that I
> >KNOW what the
risks
> >are. Beav
> >
> Bet its a bugger sharing with the sheep eh??

They don't seem to mind too much:)

Beav

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >When I had leg cramps I discovered pretty quickly that a
> >sprinkle of salt
on
> >my min meal stopped it dead in it's tracks. I told the
> >doc this, but he prescribed Quinine Sulphate (not
> >BIsulphate). Anyone interested in a
packet
> >:)
>
> Ah that's the stuff!!

I've heard a lot of people talk of bi-sulphate, but when
I mentioned it to the doc when he prescribed bi, he said
bi-sulphate isn't the right thing. I dunno, coz I don't
take either-)

> >I prefer the lick of salt myself. At least with that I
> >KNOW what the
risks
> >are. Beav
> >
> Bet its a bugger sharing with the sheep eh??

They don't seem to mind too much:)

Beav

"Ted Rosenberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Beav Yes, it is possible he is NOT out of control, BUT he
> is describing a classic case of BG running over 200.

Indeed he is Ted, but you should know the problem with
making assumptions based on a single post.

> NO, in any single case it might not be the reason, but
> in light of his discription, I'd but the odds at better
> than 20 to 1
>
> People THINK that they urinate a lot because they
> drink a lot, in most cases (but not 100%) it is the
> other way around.
>
> This is not an occasional leg cramp, this guy is going so
> much that his electrolytes are being drained, REGULARLY,
> THAT is pathalogical

Why do I have the same problem then?

> In a diabetic, the main reason is high BG

Agreed, but not in every case, and not even in this
diabetic's case, and if it's not true for me, why must it
be true for Peanut? He may have other issues we know
nothing about.

Beav

Beav, I don't know WHY you are having the problem, but I
think it is something to worry about.

The odds are that... You obviously know your condition
enough to know that that is not YOUR case. Most people
don't.

Beav wrote:
> "Ted Rosenberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Beav Yes, it is possible he is NOT out of control, BUT he
>>is describing a classic case of BG running over 200.
>

> Indeed he is Ted, but you should know the problem with
> making assumptions based on a single post.
>
>>NO, in any single case it might not be the reason, but
>>in light of his discription, I'd but the odds at better
>>than 20 to 1
>>
>>People THINK that they urinate a lot because they
>>drink a lot, in most cases (but not 100%) it is the
>>other way around.
>>
>>This is not an occasional leg cramp, this guy is going so
>>much that his electrolytes are being drained, REGULARLY,
>>THAT is pathalogical
>

> Why do I have the same problem then?
>
>>In a diabetic, the main reason is high BG
>

> Agreed, but not in every case, and not even in this
> diabetic's case, and if it's not true for me, why must it
> be true for Peanut? He may have other issues we know
> nothing about.
>

> Beav

"Ted Rosenberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Beav, I don't know WHY you are having the problem, but I
> think it is something to worry about.

Well I thught so to, so I went to the quack. He took a few
vials of blood and the results came back showing nothing out
of the ordinary. Trigs where they should be, potassium the
same, I just get (got) cramps. A sprinkle of salt on my
evening meal stopped them dead in their tracks. Could've
been the cold weather, it could've been that I was using my
legs more than I normally do, but if a lick of salt is
enough to stop them, I "think" it may be becasue I need a
lick of salt.

> The odds are that... You obviously know your
> condition enough to know that that is not YOUR case.
> Most people don't.

Agreed, but Peanut's not posted any numbers and it's easier
to get information of this sort with a few questions than it
is with a few assumptions is all I'm saying.

Beav

"Beav" <[email protected]> wrote

> Agreed, but Peanut's not posted any numbers and it's
> easier to get information of this sort with a few
> questions than it is with a few assumptions is all
> I'm saying.
>
> Beav

Ok, here is my med list. I am very careful about taking all
my meds every day.

digoxin 0.125mg 1 a day k-dur 20meq 1 a day warfarin 2.5mg 1
a day alternating with 2 tablets every other day nexium 40mg
1 a day spironolactone 25mg 1 a day nitro-dur patch 0.1mg/hr
1 a day demadex 20mg 1 a day tricor 160mg 1 a day plavix
75mg 1 a day pravachol 20mg 1 a day childrens aspirin 1 a
day foltx 1 a day lopressor 25mg 2 times a day cozaar 25mg 2
times a day amaryl 4mg 2 a day prandin 4mg 3 times a day
nitroquick 0.4mg sublingual as needed lidoderm --Lidocaine
patch 5% on leg as needed

I low carb and try to limit the carbs to 100 a day.

My fasting readings vary from 88 to 140.

I seem to be very slow to recover from a high.

For example two weeks ago, breaking my regular low carb
diet, I ate a large portion of a wonderful Birthday cake and
regular ice cream at about 7pm.

At 8 am next morning the reading was 256. Whoops! . So the
rest of the day I ate zero carbs. I tested every hour. It
wasn't until 11 pm that the reading came down to 120. The
next morning the reading was 88.

As long as I limit carbs, my readings seem OK.

PJ

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 13:58:45 -0500, "Peanutjake" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Beav" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Agreed, but Peanut's not posted any numbers and it's
>> easier to get information of this sort with a few
>> questions than it is with a few assumptions is all I'm
>> saying.
>>
>> Beav
>>

>Ok, here is my med list. I am very careful about taking all
>my meds every day.
>
>digoxin 0.125mg 1 a day k-dur 20meq 1 a day warfarin 2.5mg
>1 a day alternating with 2 tablets every other day nexium
>40mg 1 a day spironolactone 25mg 1 a day nitro-dur patch
>0.1mg/hr 1 a day demadex 20mg 1 a day tricor 160mg 1 a day
>plavix 75mg 1 a day pravachol 20mg 1 a day childrens
>aspirin 1 a day foltx 1 a day lopressor 25mg 2 times a day
>cozaar 25mg 2 times a day amaryl 4mg 2 a day prandin 4mg 3
>times a day nitroquick 0.4mg sublingual as needed lidoderm
>--Lidocaine patch 5% on leg as needed
>
>I low carb and try to limit the carbs to 100 a day.
>
>My fasting readings vary from 88 to 140.
>
>I seem to be very slow to recover from a high.
>
>For example two weeks ago, breaking my regular low carb
>diet, I ate a large portion of a wonderful Birthday cake
>and regular ice cream at about 7pm.
>
>At 8 am next morning the reading was 256. Whoops! . So the
>rest of the day I ate zero carbs. I tested every hour. It
>wasn't until 11 pm that the reading came down to 120. The
>next morning the reading was 88.
>
>As long as I limit carbs, my readings seem OK.
>
>PJ

PJ, that list would terrify me.

Presumably they are all prescribed and necessary. You
have my sympathy for whatever the conditons are that
require them.

I presume at least one of your doctors is fully aware of the
entire list and has researched all possible interactions and
side-effects?

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.