a little friendly motivation and a new goal

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Guest, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Well, to say the least, my average speed on my bike (having just started riding a few months ago) was less than to be desired. Okay, it was slow....da.mn slow!

I felt like I had hit a brick wall and was getting discouraged about even riding. I couldn't get past this same average speed, it seemed, for the last couple months.

I was really starting to get so down about it that I was starting to not like riding anymore. A friend of mine that I ride with, heard me bitch about this over and over. One day, we went out for a ride. I noticed that he had picked up his pace. So, I kept up with him. I didn't think about my speed much, just tried to stay with him.

When it was all said and done with and we got back, I checked my average speed. I had surpassed it by 3 mph! I hadn't been able to break my same average speed for months! And, NOW, I had broken it by 3 more mph! Anyway, I looked at my friend, who was now smiling at me. It seems, he knew I could do it all along. I just needed the proper motivation. LOL

Anyway, every ride I have had after that has been significantly faster that what I had been doing for months before. I guess I just needed a little convincing.

Just thought I would share that with you...it is 90% mental.

Tags:

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I think that with any type of training you reach a plateau. It's very difficult to crest that limitation and then when you do, it opens new vistas.

Congrats

To paraphrase a Yogi Beraism "80% of the game is 90% mental".

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I think it might have also been an effect of putting in more base miles. I still don't ride as much as I would like because I do multisport. But, I am glad that I have re-ignited my interest for riding again. And, I look forward to kicking butt at my next race.

Next race? a nice flat fast ride by the ocean...can't wait!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Had the exact same experience when I started cycling. I always did my training rides alone, then, after a month or two, my husband started riding with me. I asked him not to go too fast, I won't be able to keep up. Needles to say, he did not listen. But when we finished our ride, I was amazed to see how my avarege improved. From there on, it just got better and better. Unfortunately, I now have to train all by myself, but I try to stay motivated.