a little helpful info

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by shokhead1, Apr 27, 2003.

1. shokhead1

shokhead1 New Member

Looking to get a decent steel road bike under $2000.Want a nice riding one for these old bones.I guess a longer wheelbase and chainstay,shorter top bube is right?So far i have to look at is the LeMond B/A,cervelo prodigy,fuji roubaix pro or marsellie,masi speciale,and supergo has the scattante R853.Am i missing something?

Tags:

2. J-MAT

J-MAT New Member

Steel is an excellent frame material, although a little heavier than carbon or aluminum. Titanium flexes too much for me.

The most important aspect of frame geometry for overall comfort is seat tube angle.

I normally ride a 60 cm (center-to center) and I won't consider a frame over 73 degrees of seat tube angle. Time trialers and triathletes have steep seat tube angles like 74-78+ degrees, but they don't usually ride for hours over bumpy roads.

Road shock is transmitted straight up the seat tube to your butt and back. The more "slack" your seat angle is, the less the shock can tavel in a straight line to your backside!!!

Lemond's bike have a very good reputation, and Greg really has input on geometry. He knows his stuff!!!

Also check out some Eddy Merckx frames. They are some of the finest frames out there, and Eddy's steel frames are legendary. Like LeMond, Eddy Merckx is also a HUGE bike fit fanatic.

Greg probably learned a thing or two from Eddy!!!

Good luck!!!

3. Kristian

Kristian New Member

I agree. I have had all types of frame material etc. Steel is great! At the moment I am racing on a Ciombola. It is columbus ultra foco with carbon rear stays and carbon fork. Super smooth and great to ride. I train on a steel ciombola too. It is also a great ride.

4. clever_guy

clever_guy New Member

shokhead1;

I have tried a few Lemond's and they are nice, but pricey.

I have had steel frames in the past. I don't think I would go back. I would have to try a steel frame with a good carbon forks to see how it felt, "road buzz" from steel frames is still a recent memory.

-CG

5. shokhead1

shokhead1 New Member

I thought steel didnt do that,road buzz.

6. clever_guy

clever_guy New Member

shokhead1;

The ones I have had/ridden seemed to have had a fair amount of road buzz. I had a heavy steel frame that I thought rode well, until I bought a cro-mo (triathalon) bike that cut it in half. Don't get me wrong I like the Lemond, but after riding it for 50km on broken paths - I remembered why I sold my steel frame.

Might be me though, maybe I am just sensitive to road buzz - but I still remember crawling off my steel frame after 120km with numb hands, a numb butt, and a headache.

-CG

7. shokhead1

shokhead1 New Member

So what do you ride?

8. clever_guy

clever_guy New Member

shokhead1;

Right now I am riding a Softride Solo set up for road (see http://www.cyclingforums.com/t23596.html for specifics). It's a pretty nice bike, eats a lot of road buzz with the carbon beam. has a different feel to it than a standard frame, and you sort of bounce on it when you first ride it. Wouldn't be an ideal bike to use if you race competitively, it isn't UCI approved.

-CG

9. shokhead1

shokhead1 New Member

Dont race.I'm looking for a nice ride for longer weekend rides which for me would be like 50-60 miles.Right now i have a felt,sr71.My 50 year old bones are getting that aluminum buzz.