A little invention for ALL!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by terrybigwheel, Feb 7, 2006.

  1. Maybe I'm a bit presumptuos, but at least I haven't seen it before. I
    got tired of my valve stem "sinking" towards the rim each time I push
    the pump onto the stem, so I came up with the something I call, the
    "Stem-lock". It solves the problem, and the stem stays put while
    pushing the pump onto it; won't budge even a bit! I LOVE IT! Can't
    patent it because the clip already exists; anybody can get one! Too bad
    for me-great for you!:D

    |Filename: stemlock2.jpg |

    terrybigwheel

    Terry
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  2. UniTyler

    UniTyler Guest

    For the metal stems, there are threaded rings you can thread on, and
    they usually come stock. Here is the one on my 29er:

    |Filename: mini-DSCF1146.JPG |

    UniTyler

    Part of the Muni ComMUNIty
    UniTyler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6120

  3. UniTyler wrote:
    > For the metal stems, there are threaded rings you can thread on, and
    > they usually come stock. Here is the one on my 29er:

    I was aware of the tubes w/metal stems, but have never seen them on a
    uni. Most, if not ALL uni tubes I've seen, have RUBBER, not metal
    stems.

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Terry
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  4. phlegm

    phlegm Guest

    The metal ones are called Presta valves, and the rubber ones are called
    Schraeder valves. Often, more expensive bicycle rims will be drilled
    for Presta, but Schraeder are more common because most people don't
    ride the more expensive bikes and because they're standard for motor
    vehicles.

    --
    phlegm
    phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

  5. phlegm wrote:
    > The metal ones are called Presta valves, and the rubber ones are called
    > Schraeder valves. Often, more expensive bicycle rims will be drilled
    > for Presta, but Schraeder are more common because most people don't
    > ride the more expensive bikes and because they're standard for motor
    > vehicles.

    I thought presta valves referred to the actual nozzle configuration,
    not the fact that the stem is metal instead of rubber. Again, I have
    not seen the metal valve stems (aside from Trials_uni) on unicycles. I
    would be VERY interested to know if the majority of list members uni's
    have rubber or metal stems.:confused:

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Terry
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  6. entropy

    entropy Guest

    phlegm wrote:
    > The metal ones are called Presta valves, and the rubber ones are called
    > Schraeder valves. Often, more expensive bicycle rims will be drilled
    > for Presta, but Schraeder are more common because most people don't
    > ride the more expensive bikes and because they're standard for motor
    > vehicles.

    The Nokian Gazz 24x3.0 tube in my Muni has a Shraeder valve and a metal
    stem, with the locking mechanism that Tyler's photo shows.

    I'm pretty sure that "Schraeder" and "Presta" refers to the actual
    valve configuration and stem diameter, not the stem material.

    --
    entropy
    entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

  7. phlegm

    phlegm Guest

    entropy wrote:
    > I'm pretty sure that "Schraeder" and "Presta" refers to the actual valve
    > configuration and stem diameter, not the stem material.

    Yep. I was just using the language that was already at play in the
    thread. ;)

    1 of 3 of my unis has a Presta valve--the one being my 29er, which has
    a 700c rim that was probably originally designed for bicycle use.

    --
    phlegm
    phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

  8. ANYWAY............................I was only trying to help with my idea
    to secure the *_rubber_valve_stem_* while attaching
    the pump! GEESH! I think I'll just keep things to myself!:eek:

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Terry
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  9. UniTyler

    UniTyler Guest

    My punctured and replaced Nokian 24x3" tube had the metal valve and
    obviously the WTB tube in my Nimbus 29er does. My freestyle with an
    unknown tube (the LBS did the tire replacement) has a rubber valve and
    so does my current generic Muni tube. Of course my two el cheapo
    Torker CX's (16" and 20") have rubber, also.

    --
    UniTyler

    Part of the Muni ComMUNIty
    UniTyler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6120

  10. UniTyler

    UniTyler Guest

    terrybigwheel wrote:
    > ANYWAY............................I was only trying to help with my idea
    > to secure the *_rubber_valve_stem_* while attaching
    > the pump! GEESH! I think I'll just keep things to myself!:eek:

    Wow. Please don't freak out like that! We enjoy your ideas, and I had
    no idea that I would offend you by offering an alternative solution. I
    understand that would work somewhat well for a rubber valve.

    --
    UniTyler

    Part of the Muni ComMUNIty
    UniTyler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6120

  11. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

  12. UniTyler

    UniTyler Guest

  13. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

  14. UniTyler wrote:
    > Wow. Please don't freak out like that! We enjoy your ideas, and I had
    > no idea that I would offend you by offering an alternative solution. I
    > understand that would work somewhat well for a rubber valve.

    I wasn't "freaking out". I should have put the familiar "LOL" in there.
    Sometimes it's hard to determine accurate intentions from certain
    posts. My bad brah. Your "alternative" is only useful if you already
    HAVE the metal valve;in which case it's not even an issue. I was simply
    trying to show a simple fix for those who have the RUBBER stems. And I
    think it would be a waste of time and money to switch tubes just so you
    can have a threaded ring to secure a metal stem, when my idea
    eliminates the need to make the switch altogether :rolleyes:

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Terry
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  15. Eroick

    Eroick Guest

  16. weeble

    weeble Guest

    terrybigwheel wrote:
    > Again, I have not seen the metal valve stems (aside from Unityler) on
    > unicycles. I would be VERY interested to know if the majority of list
    > members have rubber or metal stems on their unis, like the one pictured
    > below. :confused:

    I'm pretty sure that that's a Presta valve, the same as on my 29's
    tube. Mine also has the little nut on the valve stem. There are other
    valves with slim metal stems too; I'm told that one which I've seen on
    some Miyata unis is called a Woods valve. I don't know much about them,
    though.

    I like the Presta, myself. The Schrader needs a bigger hole in the rim
    and is harder to get into a pump nozzle.

    --
    weeble

    ======================
    To avoid danger of suffocation
    keep away from babies
    and small children
    ======================
    weeble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1625

  17. Roger Light

    Roger Light Guest

    phlegm wrote:

    > The metal ones are called Presta valves, and the rubber ones are called
    > Schraeder valves.

    As others have pointed out, there are all metal Schrader valves. For
    pictures of the different valve type, scroll down to "Presta" on this page:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html

    Roger

  18. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    terrybigwheel wrote:
    > Maybe I'm a bit presumptuos, but at least I haven't seen it before. I
    > got tired of my valve stem "sinking" towards the rim each time I push
    > the pump onto the stem, so I came up with the something I call, the
    > "Stem-lock". It solves the problem, and the stem stays put while
    > pushing the pump onto it; won't budge even a bit! I LOVE IT! Can't
    > patent it because the clip already exists; anybody can get one! Too bad
    > for me-great for you!:D

    Scott uses a plastic tie-wrap around the stem to help stabilize the
    valve; this approach seems to work pretty well.

    --
    U-Turn

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
    -- Dave Stockton