A little invention for ALL!

terrybigwheel

Guest
Maybe I'm a bit presumptuos, but at least I haven't seen it before. I
got tired of my valve stem "sinking" towards the rim each time I push
the pump onto the stem, so I came up with the something I call, the
"Stem-lock". It solves the problem, and the stem stays put while
pushing the pump onto it; won't budge even a bit! I LOVE IT! Can't
patent it because the clip already exists; anybody can get one! Too bad
for me-great for you!:D

|Filename: stemlock2.jpg |

terrybigwheel

Terry
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

For the metal stems, there are threaded rings you can thread on, and
they usually come stock. Here is the one on my 29er:

|Filename: mini-DSCF1146.JPG |

UniTyler

Part of the Muni ComMUNIty
UniTyler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6120

UniTyler wrote:
> For the metal stems, there are threaded rings you can thread on, and
> they usually come stock. Here is the one on my 29er:

I was aware of the tubes w/metal stems, but have never seen them on a
uni. Most, if not ALL uni tubes I've seen, have RUBBER, not metal
stems.

--
terrybigwheel

Terry
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

The metal ones are called Presta valves, and the rubber ones are called
Schraeder valves. Often, more expensive bicycle rims will be drilled
for Presta, but Schraeder are more common because most people don't
ride the more expensive bikes and because they're standard for motor
vehicles.

--
phlegm
phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

phlegm wrote:
> The metal ones are called Presta valves, and the rubber ones are called
> Schraeder valves. Often, more expensive bicycle rims will be drilled
> for Presta, but Schraeder are more common because most people don't
> ride the more expensive bikes and because they're standard for motor
> vehicles.

I thought presta valves referred to the actual nozzle configuration,
not the fact that the stem is metal instead of rubber. Again, I have
not seen the metal valve stems (aside from Trials_uni) on unicycles. I
would be VERY interested to know if the majority of list members uni's
have rubber or metal stems.:confused:

--

phlegm wrote:
> The metal ones are called Presta valves, and the rubber ones are called
> Schraeder valves. Often, more expensive bicycle rims will be drilled
> for Presta, but Schraeder are more common because most people don't
> ride the more expensive bikes and because they're standard for motor
> vehicles.

The Nokian Gazz 24x3.0 tube in my Muni has a Shraeder valve and a metal
stem, with the locking mechanism that Tyler's photo shows.

I'm pretty sure that "Schraeder" and "Presta" refers to the actual
valve configuration and stem diameter, not the stem material.

--
entropy
entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

entropy wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that "Schraeder" and "Presta" refers to the actual valve
> configuration and stem diameter, not the stem material.

Yep. I was just using the language that was already at play in the
thread. ;)

1 of 3 of my unis has a Presta valve--the one being my 29er, which has
a 700c rim that was probably originally designed for bicycle use.

--
phlegm
phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

My punctured and replaced Nokian 24x3" tube had the metal valve and
obviously the WTB tube in my Nimbus 29er does. My freestyle with an
unknown tube (the LBS did the tire replacement) has a rubber valve and
so does my current generic Muni tube. Of course my two el cheapo
Torker CX's (16" and 20") have rubber, also.

--

terrybigwheel wrote:
> ANYWAY............................I was only trying to help with my idea
> to secure the *_rubber_valve_stem_* while attaching
> the pump! GEESH! I think I'll just keep things to myself!:eek:

Wow. Please don't freak out like that! We enjoy your ideas, and I had
no idea that I would offend you by offering an alternative solution. I
understand that would work somewhat well for a rubber valve.

--

UniTyler wrote:
> Wow. Please don't freak out like that! We enjoy your ideas, and I had
> no idea that I would offend you by offering an alternative solution. I
> understand that would work somewhat well for a rubber valve.

I wasn't "freaking out". I should have put the familiar "LOL" in there.
Sometimes it's hard to determine accurate intentions from certain
posts. My bad brah. Your "alternative" is only useful if you already
HAVE the metal valve;in which case it's not even an issue. I was simply
trying to show a simple fix for those who have the RUBBER stems. And I
think it would be a waste of time and money to switch tubes just so you
can have a threaded ring to secure a metal stem, when my idea
eliminates the need to make the switch altogether :rolleyes:

--

terrybigwheel wrote:
> Again, I have not seen the metal valve stems (aside from Unityler) on
> unicycles. I would be VERY interested to know if the majority of list
> members have rubber or metal stems on their unis, like the one pictured
> below. :confused:

I'm pretty sure that that's a Presta valve, the same as on my 29's
tube. Mine also has the little nut on the valve stem. There are other
valves with slim metal stems too; I'm told that one which I've seen on
some Miyata unis is called a Woods valve. I don't know much about them,
though.

I like the Presta, myself. The Schrader needs a bigger hole in the rim
and is harder to get into a pump nozzle.

--
weeble

======================
To avoid danger of suffocation
keep away from babies
and small children
======================
weeble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1625

phlegm wrote:

> The metal ones are called Presta valves, and the rubber ones are called
> Schraeder valves.

As others have pointed out, there are all metal Schrader valves. For
pictures of the different valve type, scroll down to "Presta" on this page:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html

Roger

terrybigwheel wrote:
> Maybe I'm a bit presumptuos, but at least I haven't seen it before. I
> got tired of my valve stem "sinking" towards the rim each time I push
> the pump onto the stem, so I came up with the something I call, the
> "Stem-lock". It solves the problem, and the stem stays put while
> pushing the pump onto it; won't budge even a bit! I LOVE IT! Can't
> patent it because the clip already exists; anybody can get one! Too bad
> for me-great for you!:D

Scott uses a plastic tie-wrap around the stem to help stabilize the
valve; this approach seems to work pretty well.

--
U-Turn

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton