A little piece of history

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Simon, Feb 6, 2003.

  1. Simon

    Simon Guest

    Saw this and thought of all those old folks that post here.

    http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=67441

    Simon

    ***-=[ http://www.tau-designs.co.uk ]=-***
    The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely
    for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended
    recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in
    reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

    The views expressed here are my own & do not represent or reflect the views or policies of
    Tau-Designs.co.uk

    Tags:

  2. Panda

    Panda Guest

    so is this a four bar link?

    panda

    "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Saw this and thought of all those old folks that post here.
    >
    > http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=67441
    >
    > Simon

    > ***-=[ http://www.tau-designs.co.uk ]=-***
    > The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended
    > solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone
    else
    > is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
    distribution
    > or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
    prohibited
    > and may be unlawful.
    >
    > The views expressed here are my own & do not represent or reflect the
    > or policies of Tau-Designs.co.uk

  3. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:L[email protected]...
    > Saw this and thought of all those old folks that post here.
    >
    > http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=67441
    >
    > Simon

    <snipped uber-sig>

    Any UK ambers remember the Raleigh Activator 2? Very similar technology except for the cunning
    top-tube mounted spring, which on the Raleigh was replaced by a rubber bung that in another life
    stopped doors hitting walls. The ubiquitous transport of teenagers back round 1990-2, the Raleigh
    Activator 2 was maybe one of the nastiest bicycles ever built. IIRC, the suspension was so sloppy
    that the wheels tried to remain vertical when trying to corner.

    Andy Chequer, had a Falcon Cheetah which first broke after 50 yards. Still have the thumbies though.

  4. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](removethisbittosend)secretworldgovernment.org> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...

    | "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | > Saw this and thought of all those old folks that post here.
    | >
    | > http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=67441
    | >
    | > Simon
    |
    | <snipped uber-sig>
    |
    | Any UK ambers remember the Raleigh Activator 2? Very similar technology except for the cunning
    | top-tube mounted spring, which on the Raleigh was replaced by a rubber bung that in another life
    | stopped doors hitting
    walls.
    | The ubiquitous transport of teenagers back round 1990-2, the Raleigh Activator 2 was maybe one of
    | the nastiest bicycles ever built. IIRC, the suspension was so sloppy that the wheels tried to
    | remain vertical when trying to corner.
    |
    | Andy Chequer, had a Falcon Cheetah which first broke after 50 yards. Still have the
    | thumbies though.

    Apologies for the "uber sig" OE adds it for me and sometimes I forget to delete it. I need it
    BTW for work.

    Simon...still got a grifter somewhere!

  5. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

  6. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Andy Chequer wrote:

    > <snipped uber-sig>
    >
    > Any UK ambers remember the Raleigh Activator 2?

    Remember them? I used to sell them...

    Very similar technology
    > except for the cunning top-tube mounted spring, which on the Raleigh was replaced by a rubber bung
    > that in another life stopped doors hitting walls.

    The bung was actually at the top of the rear triangle

    > The ubiquitous transport of teenagers back round 1990-2, the Raleigh Activator 2 was maybe one of
    > the nastiest bicycles ever built. IIRC, the suspension was so sloppy that the wheels tried to
    > remain vertical when trying to corner.

    A superb piece of machinery that seemed only to come in a 23" frame size.

    And now, due to the wonders of Google, for those who have no idea what we're talking about:
    http://www.trekking-web.de/equip/normal/activator.jpg
    http://www.trekking-web.de/equip/normal/activator1.jpg

    Schweeeet...

  7. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    > Andy Chequer wrote:
    >
    > > <snipped uber-sig>
    > >
    > > Any UK ambers remember the Raleigh Activator 2?
    >
    > Remember them? I used to sell them...

    There was you thinking you had some sort of moral fibre. The 3-in-1's on your hands, boy.

    > Very similar technology
    > > except for the cunning top-tube mounted spring, which on the Raleigh was replaced by a rubber
    > > bung that in another life stopped doors hitting
    walls.

    > The bung was actually at the top of the rear triangle

    Yup. Still, it made the Muddy Fox Rock-n-Roll look good, which MF must have been happy about.

    > > The ubiquitous transport of teenagers back round 1990-2, the Raleigh Activator 2 was maybe one
    > > of the nastiest bicycles ever built. IIRC, the suspension was so sloppy that the wheels tried to
    > > remain vertical when trying to corner.
    >
    > A superb piece of machinery that seemed only to come in a 23" frame size.

    LOL! That's right. "You'll grow into it, son" - yeah right, after a few sessions on the rack maybe.

    > And now, due to the wonders of Google, for those who have no idea what we're talking about:
    > http://www.trekking-web.de/equip/normal/activator.jpg
    > http://www.trekking-web.de/equip/normal/activator1.jpg

    Horrifying.

    I think that's a later model than the one I've got in mind - I remember them with the bung at the
    top of the seattube, not half way up it.

    But nevertheless, Horrifying.

    Andy "Horrified" Chequer

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Andy Chequer wrote:

    >>>Any UK ambers remember the Raleigh Activator 2?
    >>
    >>Remember them? I used to sell them...
    >

    > There was you thinking you had some sort of moral fibre. The 3-in-1's on your hands, boy.

    What can I say? I was young, impressionable and I needed the money.

    >>Very similar technology
    >>
    >>>except for the cunning top-tube mounted spring, which on the Raleigh was replaced by a rubber
    >>>bung that in another life stopped doors hitting
    >>
    > walls.
    >
    >>The bung was actually at the top of the rear triangle
    >

    > Yup. Still, it made the Muddy Fox Rock-n-Roll look good, which MF must have been happy about.

    Oh my, forgot about those...

    >>>The ubiquitous transport of teenagers back round 1990-2, the Raleigh Activator 2 was maybe one of
    >>>the nastiest bicycles ever built. IIRC, the suspension was so sloppy that the wheels tried to
    >>>remain vertical when trying to corner.
    >>
    >>A superb piece of machinery that seemed only to come in a 23" frame size.
    >

    > LOL! That's right. "You'll grow into it, son" - yeah right, after a few sessions on the
    > rack maybe.
    >

    >>And now, due to the wonders of Google, for those who have no idea what we're talking about:
    >>http://www.trekking-web.de/equip/normal/activator.jpg
    >>http://www.trekking-web.de/equip/normal/activator1.jpg
    >

    > Horrifying.
    >
    > I think that's a later model than the one I've got in mind - I remember them with the bung at the
    > top of the seattube, not half way up it.
    >
    > But nevertheless, Horrifying.

    As far as I remember, that was the only model, however, I could be wrong. Prior to that was the
    Activator, which only had front suspension. I say 'front suspension'...

    I suggest we start a new thread: 'bikes that we loathed'.

  9. rudeboymcc

    rudeboymcc New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    guys i'm nearly crying here. i've just recently got a Raleigh Activator II (for free, i didn't pay for it) and i was getting used to it. it's not that bad a bike! mine's got 21 gears with the thumb shifters (is that what you call the ones that are under the bars, and there are two buttons, one goes up, one goes down?).

    k the suspension is crap, but for me i find that it's the easiest to ride. from what i've tried.

    and i love it when my friends come up to me and say "what kinda bike is that?", and i reply "the first full sus mtb". they just look at it in amazement. am i right at least? 1st?

    well it's lasted this long so it cant be that bad. i need new wheels though, they don't spin straight.

    and one more thing, anyone know if i can fit v brakes onto a cantilever moutned bike? i know i have to replac ehte levers as well, but will teh brakearms fit on the frame?

  10. David L

    David L Guest

    "rudeboymcc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > guys i'm nearly crying here. i've just recently got a Raleigh Activator II (for free, i didn't pay
    > for it) and i was getting used to it. it's not that bad a bike! mine's got 21 gears with the thumb
    > shifters (is that what you call the ones that are under the bars, and there are two buttons, one
    > goes up, one goes down?).
    >
    > k the suspension is crap, but for me i find that it's the easiest to ride. from what i've tried.
    >
    > and i love it when my friends come up to me and say "what kinda bike is that?", and i reply "the
    > first full sus mtb". they just look at it in amazement. am i right at least? 1st?
    >
    > well it's lasted this long so it cant be that bad. i need new wheels though, they don't spin
    > straight.

    you can get them trued.

    > and one more thing, anyone know if i can fit v brakes onto a cantilever moutned bike? i know i
    > have to replac ehte levers as well, but will teh brakearms fit on the frame?

  11. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    rudeboymcc wrote:
    > guys i'm nearly crying here. i've just recently got a Raleigh Activator II (for free, i didn't pay
    > for it) and i was getting used to it. it's not that bad a bike! mine's got 21 gears with the thumb
    > shifters (is that what you call the ones that are under the bars, and there are two buttons, one
    > goes up, one goes down?).

    Pictures! We need pictures! Get some pictures and put them up on the web - if you need help with
    hosting, let me know. There are only about 2 pics of Activators on the 'net - they definitely
    deserve more coverage!

    > k the suspension is crap, but for me i find that it's the easiest to ride. from what i've tried.
    >
    > and i love it when my friends come up to me and say "what kinda bike is that?", and i reply "the
    > first full sus mtb". they just look at it in amazement. am i right at least? 1st?

    Not really. It was the first _cheap_ full suspension bike and to describe it as an 'mtb' is a
    misnomer, but it definitely holds a special place in history.

    > well it's lasted this long so it cant be that bad. i need new wheels though, they don't spin
    > straight.

    Just get them trued.

    > and one more thing, anyone know if i can fit v brakes onto a cantilever moutned bike? i know i
    > have to replac ehte levers as well, but will teh brakearms fit on the frame?

    Yep, V-brakes will go on there no problems, however, the power may give you major grief with flexing
    tubes - the 'engineering' on Activator's was truly terrible.