a little too late to start cycling?

hurricane

Mar 15, 2005
I am about to turn 19 in 2 months, and finally in about a month, ready to get a real road bike . I have only been doing casual just for fun cycling on a beater bike around roads mostly, as my "cycling." But then I see many people and how they start real competitive cycling at around 16 years of age and around that age. I am 160 pound 5 foot 11 and just a little fat here and there. I woudl like to pursue with the local cycling club some racing after a year or two later ......... and the question is, at 19, is it too late to start? I am confused. What do you think? Too late?

no worries, mate. you have a long road ahead as most racers come into their own well into the 20's as there is so much the learn in terms of strategy and tactics, let alone identifying and developing talent.

as for myself, i rode as a teen, never quit, got into racing until my 30's, and got small success peak at 34 and onward...
i was fortunate enough to find a team that had an active mentor program.
i attended every coaching review, clinic, race simulation and training race i could.

the guys i saw who participated in these team events were then accused of being natural talents, as they were so far ahead in experience from what was taught by those in the know.

i might add don't worry 'bout your weight, sounds workable indeed.
people were concerned at my weight loss when the training started kickin' in.

hurricane said:
I am about to turn 19 in 2 months, and finally in about a month, ready to get a real road bike . I have only been doing casual just for fun cycling on a beater bike around roads mostly, as my "cycling." But then I see many people and how they start real competitive cycling at around 16 years of age and around that age. I am 160 pound 5 foot 11 and just a little fat here and there. I woudl like to pursue with the local cycling club some racing after a year or two later ......... and the question is, at 19, is it too late to start? I am confused. What do you think? Too late?

I know a lot juniors who I raced with back when I was 14, 6 years ago, and they are no longer doing it. Many of them either got burned out, or just didn't care for it anymore, even though a couple were national level.
There is no reason at all why you should not get into racing. Right now there are thousands of guys in their 30s and 40s (or older), who wish they could have started when they were our age.

hurricane said:

Oh man! It's funny for me to hear someone at 19 wondering if it's too late to start serious cycling since I'm 44 and just did my first race a couple of weeks ago! Not that I'm ever going to turn pro or anything. But even if that's your goal you should be able to go for it. Probably a good idea to try racing out a bit before you dedicate the rest of your life to it though.

Unless you are talking about going Pro, you will have no problem at all (and unless you have some indication of superior ability at endurance sports such as swimming or running that isn't reality anyway). Just for a hobby you are decades younger than many people that get into bike racing. I started racing when I was like 21 or so, and I found that most guys were much older than me away from collegiate racing. You will have no problem at all.

wilmar13 said:
Unless you are talking about going Pro, you will have no problem at all (and unless you have some indication of superior ability at endurance sports such as swimming or running that isn't reality anyway). Just for a hobby you are decades younger than many people that get into bike racing. I started racing when I was like 21 or so, and I found that most guys were much older than me away from collegiate racing. You will have no problem at all.
you don't need to start racing before 19 if you want to become a pro. there are many pros out there who started in college.

hurricane said:
at 19, is it too late to start? I am confused. What do you think? Too late?
Absolutely not...the sky's the limit!

Cycling ISN'T like golf or tennis, or other high skill sports where you really need to to start at a VERY young age.

velomanct said:
you don't need to start racing before 19 if you want to become a pro. there are many pros out there who started in college.

I stand corrected. Therefore you have no disadvantage to starting now, even if you want to get to the top.

I started in triathlon at 32, and in cycling at 34. Just do it if you love it, and if you love it enough, I suspect you could race pro. There's a lot between now and then, though, and I would think for now, just get out there and ride. Don't worry so much! Have fun! :p

If you're passionate about it, age shouldn't hinder your desire to race and all that jazz.

I got my rode bike when I was 19, I'm 20 now and have just started to get into the proper shape to race. If you want it enough, you'll succeed sooner or later.

I also got my first road bike last year, which I was 19. I'm about the same height and weight as you are. Also don’t get stressed out about the bike. It’s not about the bike. Give me anything under 20lbs, I’ll go race in it. I've been racing since this March and I'll upgrade to Cat4 sometime soon. Set your goals: local, regional, national and etc... Without commitment and dedication, you are going to have a hard time getting better unless you are naturally talented.

You shouldn't have to worry. I learned to ride a few months ago (December, took me 20 mins to learn) and I'm 20 going on 21 in Oct.

It's never too late to start racing. Some don't start until they're in their sixty's. Get into it and enjoy it.

Just don't be in too much of a hurry to be world champion. It takes about 2 years to get your body ready, then you can begin to learn racecraft

It’s NEVER too late to start cycling…

I rode MANY miles in the late 60s, 70,s and early 80s, then stopped. And in 2003 I started riding again. I figured a 25+ year rest was long enough. FWIW I’ll be 50 in November.

I’ll never race, but hey your only 18… and have MANY years of good cycling still in you legs, I know I do.

Go and buy your first road bike and ride, ride, and ride some more….

By no means is it too late! It may not seem like it to you, but 19 is still extremely young. Get with it now, train RIGHT, and not just hard, and you may be competitive while you are still in the U21 category, and you will certainly be a very good contender by the time you hit the elite's.

hurricane said: