A mad cycling "song"

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John Clayton, Feb 21, 2006.

  1. John Clayton

    John Clayton Guest

    Heard tonight on radio6, "Fishface" by (I think) "Abdoujaparov".
    Where a bloke rants at a motorist, with lines like "cycling used to be fun"
    and a fair bit more besides.
    Song quality's rotten though - nice sentiments, shame about the song.

    --
    John Clayton
    www.calder-clarion.co.uk

    Tags:

  2. davek

    davek Guest

    John Clayton wrote:
    > Heard tonight on radio6, "Fishface" by (I think) "Abdoujaparov".

    They've been around a couple of years - I remember a while ago hearing
    them on 6Music and emailing in to help the DJ (Andrew Collins, IIRC)
    with pronunciation of the name, and explaining who the Tashkent Terror
    was. :)

    d.

  3. Bronzie

    Bronzie Guest

    The band was formed by Les Carter (aka "Fruitbat") from Carter (The
    Unstoppable Sex Machine) - Les is a keen cyclist and used to take to
    the stage wearing a cotton racing cap with the peak turned up which was
    always an interesting sight!

    Full biog on the band at http://www.abdou.co.uk/index2.html

    Ta
    Bronzie

  4. davek

    davek Guest

    Bronzie wrote:
    > The band was formed by Les Carter (aka "Fruitbat")

    Of course! I'd forgotten that.

    d.

  5. Bronzie wrote:

    > Les is a keen cyclist and used to take to
    > the stage wearing a cotton racing cap with the peak turned up which was
    > always an interesting sight!

    Indeed he did - I can recall seeing Carter USM on TOTP and suchlike and
    it was usually a Z-Peugeot cap.

    David Belcher

  6. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    Bronzie wrote:

    >The band was formed by Les Carter (aka "Fruitbat") from Carter (The
    >Unstoppable Sex Machine) - Les is a keen cyclist and used to take to
    >the stage wearing a cotton racing cap with the peak turned up which was
    >always an interesting sight!

    Indeed, he was briefly a member of the Dulwich Paragon. We hoped at
    one stage we might be able to get rid of a massive over-order of caps.
    :)

  7. Bronzie

    Bronzie Guest

    Just twigged that you can download the "Fishface" song from the
    website's download page.

    The lyric quoted by the OP is in fact:
    "I remember when the bicycle was safe and it was fun,
    But next time I cycle, I'm gonna bring a gun............
    ........... that's right fishface, just for you!"

    In the words of Louis Walsh - "Oy loiked it".

    Ta
    Bronzie

  8. John Clayton

    John Clayton Guest

    Ta people, I'm the OP.
    I told me mate tonight and he paid once to see them, in Leeds.
    Along with three others and a whippet (he claims).

    --
    John Clayton
    www.calder-clarion.co.uk