A Majority of Mountain Bikers Break the Law (was Re: Inconsiderate bikers)

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc' started by Mike Vandeman, Aug 5, 2004.

  1. On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:25:42 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    ..RE/
    ..>But I am disturbed by the number of bikers here in New Mexico that do not
    ..>obey the rules and postings that are meant to protect the Open Space here in
    ..>Albuquerque.
    ..>
    ..>In the back areas it is clearly posted "Do not enter...
    ..
    ..It's partially the "one-percenter" effect. IMHO one reason why nobody should
    ..want their favorite passtimes to be come too popular - MTB-ing,
    ..Windsurfing.....current becoming a recognized phenomonon in kitesurfing...
    ..
    ..Once the raw numbers exceed a certain level, one percent becomes enough people
    ..to cause problems.

    BS. On IMBA's web site is a study showing that a MAJORITY of mountain bikers
    break the law.

    ..Another part is education. At least some of those people aren't thinking too
    ..deeply and if there were some way to make them see the consequences at least
    ..some of them would change their behavior.

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    Tags:

  2. GaryG

    GaryG Guest

    Please ignore poor Mikey. He is either a troll or a head case. Either way,
    he's been posting nonsense in this and other usenet groups for a long time.

    A Google groups search for "Mike Vandeman" and "troll" returns 1880 hits,
    dating back over over 6 years:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q="Mike Vandeman" troll&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wg

    "Mike Vandeman" and "asshole" returns 381 hits:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q="Mike+Vandeman"+asshole&btnG=Search

    "Mike Vandeman" and "moron" returns 502 hits:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q="Mike+Vandeman"+moron&btnG=Search

    > On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:25:42 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > .RE/
    > .>But I am disturbed by the number of bikers here in New Mexico that do

    not
    > .>obey the rules and postings that are meant to protect the Open Space

    here in
    > .>Albuquerque.
    > .>
    > .>In the back areas it is clearly posted "Do not enter...
    > .
    > .It's partially the "one-percenter" effect. IMHO one reason why nobody

    should
    > .want their favorite passtimes to be come too popular - MTB-ing,
    > .Windsurfing.....current becoming a recognized phenomonon in

    kitesurfing...
    > .
    > .Once the raw numbers exceed a certain level, one percent becomes enough

    people
    > .to cause problems.
    >
    > BS. On IMBA's web site is a study showing that a MAJORITY of mountain

    bikers
    > break the law.
    >
    > .Another part is education. At least some of those people aren't

    thinking too
    > .deeply and if there were some way to make them see the consequences at

    least
    > .some of them would change their behavior.
    >
    > ===
    >
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  3. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    GaryG wrote:
    > Please ignore poor Mikey. He is either a troll or a head case.
    > Either way, he's been posting nonsense in this and other usenet
    > groups for a long time.
    >
    > A Google groups search for "Mike Vandeman" and "troll" returns 1880
    > hits, dating back over over 6 years:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q="Mike Vandeman" troll&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wg

    > "Mike Vandeman" and "asshole" returns 381 hits:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q="Mike+Vandeman"+asshole&btnG=Search

    > "Mike Vandeman" and "moron" returns 502 hits:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q="Mike+Vandeman"+moron&btnG=Search

    Mike Vandeman" and "dicklick" returned just one hit:

    Some guy who went to his junior high school and doesn't want to talk about
    it.

    Bill "sorted pass reveals sordid past" S.

  4. MLL

    MLL Guest

    The ONLY idiots are those that respond to Mike.

  5. On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 19:21:20 -0700, "GaryG"
    <[email protected]_SPAMBEGONE_software.com> wrote:

    ..Please ignore poor Mikey. He is either a troll or a head case. Either way,
    ..he's been posting nonsense in this and other usenet groups for a long time.

    So you don't want to admit that I am RIGHT, huh?

    ..A Google groups search for "Mike Vandeman" and "troll" returns 1880 hits,
    ..dating back over over 6 years:
    ..
    ..http://groups.google.com/groups?q="Mike Vandeman" troll&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wg
    ..
    .."Mike Vandeman" and "asshole" returns 381 hits:
    ..
    ..http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q="Mike+Vandeman"+asshole&btnG=Search
    ..
    .."Mike Vandeman" and "moron" returns 502 hits:
    ..
    ..http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q="Mike+Vandeman"+moron&btnG=Search
    ..
    .."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    ..news:[email protected]
    ..> On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:25:42 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
    ..>
    ..> .RE/
    ..> .>But I am disturbed by the number of bikers here in New Mexico that do
    ..not
    ..> .>obey the rules and postings that are meant to protect the Open Space
    ..here in
    ..> .>Albuquerque.
    ..> .>
    ..> .>In the back areas it is clearly posted "Do not enter...
    ..> .
[...]
    ..> ===
    ..> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    ..> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    ..> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
    ..>

  6. On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 07:22:07 -0400, "MLL" <[email protected]> wrote:

    ..The ONLY idiots are those that respond to Mike.

    Good point.
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  7. Gary S.

    Gary S. Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 15:39:44 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 07:22:07 -0400, "MLL" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >.The ONLY idiots are those that respond to Mike.
    >
    >Good point.
    >===

    And you constantly reply to your own messages.
    Happy trails,
    Gary (net.yogi.bear)

    Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

  8. Gary S.

    Gary S. Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 15:39:10 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 19:21:20 -0700, "GaryG"
    ><[email protected]_SPAMBEGONE_software.com> wrote:
    >
    >.Please ignore poor Mikey. He is either a troll or a head case. Either way,
    >.he's been posting nonsense in this and other usenet groups for a long time.
    >
    >So you don't want to admit that I am RIGHT, huh?

    How does that prove that you are right?

    For data, you keep reposting your own opinion articles.

  9. On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 16:28:42 GMT, Gary S. <[email protected]> wrote:

    ..On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 15:39:10 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>
    ..wrote:
    ..
    ..>On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 19:21:20 -0700, "GaryG"
    ..><[email protected]_SPAMBEGONE_software.com> wrote:
    ..>
    ..>.Please ignore poor Mikey. He is either a troll or a head case. Either way,
    ..>.he's been posting nonsense in this and other usenet groups for a long time.
    ..>
    ..>So you don't want to admit that I am RIGHT, huh?
    ..>
    ..How does that prove that you are right?

    I already gave you the proof. Since you refuse to go look at it, here it is:

    From 78-83% of mountain bikers break the law. It's all on IMBA's own web site:

    From http://www.imba.com/resources/science/trail_etiquette.html:

    One management concern related to the increased use of mountain bikes on
    multiple-use trails is that heavily used sites may suffer damage to natural
    resources. An important part of the trail etiquette guidelines advocated by the
    International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA) is protecting trail
    resources. The purpose of this study was to examine mountain bicyclists behavior
    in two resource trail etiquette settings. The study took place at a protection
    road (dirt, fire road) on Mt. Tamalpais in Marin County, California. In the
    resource conditions, the behavior of mountain bicyclists was unobtrusively
    recorded as they passed a designated area to observe whether the behavior
    complied with trail etiquette guidelines. The first situation entailed whether
    bicyclists rode or walked their bikes across a section of single-track trail
    that is closed to riding. The second situation involved whether the bicyclists
    traveled through a stream or across a bridge. There was a significant difference
    between the number of subjects (78.1%) who rode their bicycles across the trail
    and those (21.9%) who walked their bicycles across the trail. At the stream
    crossing 83.1% of the bicyclists traveled through the stream and 16.7% crossed
    the bridge. Significant differences were also present for gender and two
    potential specialization equipment indicators. In these two resource conditions
    the majority of mountain bicyclists are not following trail etiquette
    guidelines. These results imply that continued inappropriate behavior could
    result in resource degradation at these sites. Education and enforcement
    regarding these two particular resource conditions has not been a priority of
    land managers on Mt. Tamalpais, but should be considered in the future.

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande