A Marin on eBay - question.

Eatmorepies

Guest
There is a Marin Mount Vision on eBay - Item number: 4061795739

The description gives London as the location yet the price is in dollars.

I sent an email asking for clarification but have not recieved a reply;
except for mail delivery failed message from osborneandcollins.co.uk there
is nothing remotely uk like in my inbox. They appear to be electrical
engineers.

I don't like to open links in unknown emails. So, can anyone shed any light
on the seller of the Marin Bikes? Or what osborneandcollins have got to do
with anything - bearing in mind they might be being used by spammers?

John

"Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There is a Marin Mount Vision on eBay - Item number: 4061795739
>
> The description gives London as the location yet the price is in dollars.
>
> I sent an email asking for clarification but have not recieved a reply;
> except for mail delivery failed message from osborneandcollins.co.uk there
> is nothing remotely uk like in my inbox. They appear to be electrical
> engineers.
>
> I don't like to open links in unknown emails. So, can anyone shed any

light
> on the seller of the Marin Bikes? Or what osborneandcollins have got to do
> with anything - bearing in mind they might be being used by spammers?
>
> John

Saw this item too and am a little cautious about it.

Dont like conditions like WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CANCEL ANY BID MADE
WITHOUT A PRIOR CONTACT.

A lot of indicators that this mike may be in the USA.
The spelling of Tires rather than tyres and the tyres fitted dont seem to be
standard spec here, neither do the brake levers.

If is in the USA whats the problem? Why isnt the vendor up front about it?

Note the seller has a feedback score of 0.

Gerald

"Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There is a Marin Mount Vision on eBay - Item number: 4061795739
>
> The description gives London as the location yet the price is in dollars.

Zero feedback for the seller - run away screaming.

"PLEASE DO NOT BID ON THE AUCTION. WE WILL SELL THE BIKE (STOCK LIMIT) TO
THE FIRST PERSON WHO WILL PAY THE BUY IT NOW PRICE."
- run away screaming.

Lots of auctions suddenly appearing for expensive new bikes, all under
price - run away screaming.

cheers,
clive

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 20:34:30 +0000, Eatmorepies wrote:

> There is a Marin Mount Vision on eBay - Item number: 4061795739

It's a scam, as are many bikes on ebay at the moment.
Report it to ebay, and it'll be gone in a couple of days, but no doubt the
scammer will re-register and try it again.
Alan.

http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.

In article <[email protected]>,
alan@darkroom.+.com says...
> It's a scam, as are many bikes on ebay at the moment.
> Report it to ebay, and it'll be gone in a couple of days, but no doubt the
> scammer will re-register and try it again.
> Alan.

Yes, jut do a search on "Litespeed"!

--
Mark (MSA)
Remember, half the people you know are below average

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:19:49 +1100, dannyfrankszzz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The "0 feedback" is a definite warning sign.

It's not even the biggest warning sign on that particular listing,
there are plenty of them.

There's no doubt at all, that auction is a scam.

--

Call me "Bob"

"More oneness, less categories,
Open hearts, no strategies"

in message <[email protected]>, Eatmorepies
('[email protected]') wrote:

> There is a Marin Mount Vision on eBay - Item number: 4061795739
>
> The description gives London as the location yet the price is in
> dollars.

It was fraud and has been removed.

> I don't like to open links in unknown emails. So, can anyone shed any
> light on the seller of the Marin Bikes? Or what osborneandcollins have
> got to do with anything - bearing in mind they might be being used by
> spammers?

They're more likely the innocent victims than the villains themselves.

...but have you *seen* the size of the world wide spider?

wrote:

> The "0 feedback" is a definite warning sign.

Not necessarily - everyone has to start somewhere. Selling in dollars from
a UK location isn't necessarily anything to be alarmed about either. It's
not uncommon, especially when the target market is foreign. These factors
only become worrying in combination with the private bidder list, the
request to deal off eBay, the silly price, the language used, and all the
other similar auctions.

James Thomson

"Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There is a Marin Mount Vision on eBay - Item number: 4061795739
>
> The description gives London as the location yet the price is in dollars.
>
> I sent an email asking for clarification but have not recieved a reply;
> except for mail delivery failed message from osborneandcollins.co.uk there
> is nothing remotely uk like in my inbox. They appear to be electrical
> engineers.
>
> I don't like to open links in unknown emails. So, can anyone shed any
> light
> on the seller of the Marin Bikes? Or what osborneandcollins have got to do
> with anything - bearing in mind they might be being used by spammers?

The ebay question seems to have been answerer - the mail delivery failed is
a virus - if you're running anti virus the worm should have been stripped
out.

Details here
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?id=38727

Russ

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:00:34 -0000, "Clive George"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Zero feedback for the seller - run away screaming.

Hi Clive

I don't use eBay but wouldn't first-time sellers automatically have a
zero rating?

James

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:00:34 -0000, "Clive George"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Zero feedback for the seller - run away screaming.

> Hi Clive
>
> I don't use eBay but wouldn't first-time sellers automatically have a
> zero rating?

Yup. However they could get some feedback by buying stuff first, or selling
cheap stuff.
Alternatively you could make sure the transaction is such that you can't be
stiffed - eg payment after delivery.

cheers,
clive

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:14:54 GMT, James Hodson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I don't use eBay but wouldn't first-time sellers automatically have a
>zero rating?

First time sellers have to start somewhere.

But they don't have to start with _my_ money.

Clive George wrote:

> Yup. However they could get some feedback by buying stuff first, or selling
> cheap stuff.
> Alternatively you could make sure the transaction is such that you can't be
> stiffed - eg payment after delivery.

Yes, feedback alone is not a good indicator. I have seen a few where
the 100% feedback ratings can all be traced back to the seller.

Tony

James Hodson wrote:

> I don't use eBay but wouldn't first-time sellers automatically
> have a zero rating?

Yes, unless they'd bought some stuff. Selling and buying feedback are
combined. With a zero-feedback seller you need to exercise a little
more caution. A while back I spotted a rare book on eBay that I was
interested in. I used Abebooks to check dealer prices for that edition.
I found one, a well-established book shop, that had an almost identical
description of the book. I e-mailed the dealer to bring the auction to
his attention, and he replied that he was in fact also the eBay seller.
He'd been using Abe for ages but had only just decided to give eBay a
try.

--
Dave...

On 22 Dec 2004 09:29:22 -0800, I wrote:

>Yes, unless they'd bought some stuff. Selling and buying feedback are
>combined. With a zero-feedback seller you need to exercise a little
>more caution. A while back I spotted a rare book on eBay that I was
>interested in. I used Abebooks to check dealer prices for that edition.

Hmm... That might have made more sense if I'd mentioned that my
suspicions had been aroused because the seller had zero-feedback and
was giving a very dealer-like description.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain