A mask for cyclist?

shek266

Jun 12, 2007
research have found out that city cycling do more harms than good.
people ride behind trucks and buses breathing in all the exhaust.
Why people never wear a mask when cycling?
Should there be one specially designed for cyclist?
Please give opinions :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Reactions: haleylx4
I want a mask that will allow me to breath freely without swallowing a couple of pounds of bugs on each ride, especially during flying ant season:eek: . Darn things get halfway down and then start trying to crawl back out, causing me to cough up a lung before I can get my water bottle and wash them on down.

kdelong said:
I want a mask that will allow me to breath freely without swallowing a couple of pounds of bugs on each ride, especially during flying ant season:eek: . Darn things get halfway down and then start trying to crawl back out, causing me to cough up a lung before I can get my water bottle and wash them on down.
There's no such thing as a vegetarian cyclist.

:D

Hey Don!

I've seen a few different ones. Some people where them in the city areas. I'm thinking it should be like a BMX helmet that covers the mouth with a filter kind of thing. Kind of cumbersome but a regular bicycle helmet to me doesn't do much. It doesn't protect your face and it seems like a flimsy piece of styrofoam. Ya know.

I've seen cyclists with bandanas tied around their lower face. It's not too uncommon here since it gets so cold in the winter.

Another popular option I've seen are motorcycle scarves...short cylindrical scarves that go around your neck and extend up to cover the lower face and nose. They're usually in some kind of stretchy fabric that clings to your face and lets you breath freely. They look like this.

My boyfriend's dad motorcycles and he wears one to stay warm and keep from eating too many bugs :) You could probably find one at a bike shop, but I've also seen them in the scarf/hat section of sport and outdoor supply stores.

I do not see people wearing anything to protect themselves from the pollution. It would be a great idea to start looking for ways to protect oneself from the harmful fumes especially city riders. A bandana or scarf may not be the best option but I do not see myself wearing a mask though. Hope something will come out soon to address this issue

Out in China with all the smog and pollution in the major cities the cycling population rides around with sort of like industrial masks on. The sort of masks you seen worn in woodwork classes and the like. They are basic and quite simple but also very effective I have heard. Why not use them as they are quite cheap and do a good job?

Slightly related, my brother rides a motorbike and has an open-face helmet he uses and he also ties a bandanna around his nose and mouth which he says works great. Personally I don't use a mask because I love the smell of burnt fuel in the mornings, even though it may not be doing me much good!

Fortunately, I live in an area that doesn't have a lot of pollution. There can be a lot of traffic on the main streets but that's only on certain times during the day. Usually during rush hours in the morning and afternoon. However, I can understand the need to wear some kind of mask to protect against health hazards transmitted in the air. If one was manufactured that would be comfortable to wear, I could definitely see the potential.

I use the bike more often than not to commute to work and back, and I do think there is something to be said for wearing a mask.

I've noticed myself that traffic seems to be getting worse, especially in the major cities and before long I think it's going to be hard to ride in a built up area without one.

I've never heard of any such thing as a mask for riders but I must say it's a pretty good idea. I would want to have one if it were available. There is just too much smug in the air and a mask would definitely be a good protection from all that getting into ones system.

designed for cyclist? Maybe this mask with active carbon filters. Like this https://www.skysper.com/collections/mask/products/ultralight-cycling-mask

skysper-cycling-mask-black-side_370x.jpg