A mixed mode mixed bag

Just Zis Guy

Guest
Today I went to the inaugural lecture of my friend Seamus Higson, now Professor of Bio and Electro
Sensing at Cranfield University. I went by train and bike, taking the recumbent by train from
Reading to Paddington, cycling to Farringdon and then taking the train to Flitwick, finally cycling
to Silsoe.

Cycling through London in the daytime was fine - actually very enjoyable (even if I did get horribly
lost - and thanks to the taxi drivers for setting me straight!). Coming back was a bit less pleasant
- dark, drizzly, the roads slippery and full of MDGs enmeshed in the Evening Hate. The low point was
(after getting lost /again/) trying to cross four lanes from right to left, with absolutely no
bugger giving me a break, even approaching traffic lights. If I ride more in London I think I'll get
a mirror on the left as well. Or more to the point a Brompton.

I was goignt o come back on the tube, but after having let me right onto the platform of the
Hammersmith & City along came Jobsworth and told me I'd have to wait until 7pm before I could get on
a train. Actually it might have been quicker than my circumnavigation of the West End (although
riding round theatreland is always interesting).

I am now starting to envy people who live in London: one of Seamus' friends, Paul, is a member of
the RI and regularly attends their lectures. It doesn't cost much and is apparently fascinating.
Mind you, "not much" to Paul is not much of an indicator, as he works in the City.

--
Guy

Marvin is dead, long live Zaphod!

> If I ride more in London I think I'll get a mirror on the left as well. Or more to the point a
> Brompton.

Good grief!! Heresey!!!! ;-)

Guy contemplates getting an upwrong in favour of the bent - even if the upwrong is a Brompton!!!

Cheers, helen s ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~
h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**$s$@*$$a**$*ol*$*.*$$c$om*$ by getting rid of the
overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

Guy [email protected] Chapman wrote: ( The low point was (after getting lost /again/)
trying to cross four lanes ) from right to left, with absolutely no bugger giving me a break, even (
approaching traffic lights. If I ride more in London I think I'll get ... ) ... a Brompton.

Whilst choosing to become a foot passenger in order to cross four lanes of traffic is
understandable, folding your bicycle up for such a short pedestrian journey is hardly
necessary, surely?

(Put it down to lack of sleep last night...)

Helen S wrote:

> As much as I like bents - that one is awful!

With the caveat that I've only ridden one - that belonging to the designer who is about a foot
shorter than me, and that in the wrong shoes - it rode very well, and I am given to understand that
the recumbent conversion adds very little to the size of the folded package. It doesn't take much
longer to fold either, and if you think it looks bad, well, it's a veritable Princess Charlotte of
Monaco in comparison with this: http://www.bikefriday.com/bigbike99.cfm?BF=10&CAT=0

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote:

> Good grief!! Heresey!!!! ;-)
>
> Guy contemplates getting an upwrong in favour of the bent - even if the upwrong is a Brompton!!!

Not really, it's still held to be weird by people you pass, so really is Quite All Right for a
budding Sith warrior to get about on. The last few yoofs who've laughed at me from astride their
gaspipe full-sus MTBs have declined my offers of a race, however, so maybe they're not *quite* so
stupid as they look (though we are in damning with faint praise territory here... ;-))

I'm reasonably sure that my next purchase will be another Wedgie, in the form of a Burrows 8
Freight. A Brox would be Darker and carry more, but is out of my budgetary league and more than I
need in the carrying capacity stakes as well. If it's good enough for Mike Burrows, it's good enough
for me (and you too!)...

> As much as I like bents - that one is awful!

Why? Though there are some very beautiful recumbents about, it's really more about form than
function. By all accounts the Brompton recumbent conversion is very comfortable, which is the main
point of a recumbent. But though it doesn't add that much to the folded size, a little is still
more than none, and since I chose a Brom in large part for the fold I prefer the upright version:
just makes more sense for what I do with it. By the ugliness criteria, a Birdy is pretty horrible
thanks to the layout of the front suspension. But if you'd refuse one as a gift on those grounds,
you need help!

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/