A Modest Proposal

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Melba's Jammin, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. Without moving from my seat I can think of these pastas in my larder: Orzo, vermicelli, umbria,
    shells, fusilli, ditalini, elbow spaghetti, rings, capellini. OK, I got up and looked. I also
    have little teeny stars, something shaped sort of like a conch shell. orrechiette, corkscrews and
    some linquine.

    How do you use what you have? I propose a submission of recipes using the pastas and these 'rules':
    Each post should have a recipe and the subject line should indicate the type of pasta used, and each
    post should contain REC to indicate there's a recipe included. E.g., REC: Spaghetti - Spaghetti
    Bravissimo. I'm suggesting separate posts for each recipe so that the pissing contests that are sure
    to ensue will be appropriately placed. Maybe it will contain the drift a bit. I'll go first. :)
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

    Tags:

  2. NancyJaye

    NancyJaye Guest

    1 package of vermicelli 2 envelopes Knorr's pesto sauce 1 lb med shrimp butter and garlic and
    salt to taste

    Perpare vermicelli as directed. Prepare pesto as directed. Saute shrimp in butter garlic and salt
    until pink. Mix all together. Serve with a mixed green salad and garlic bread.

    NancyJaye

  3. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > Without moving from my seat I can think of these pastas in my larder: Orzo, vermicelli, umbria,
    > shells, fusilli, ditalini, elbow spaghetti, rings, capellini. OK, I got up and looked. I also have
    > little teeny stars, something shaped sort of like a conch shell. orrechiette, corkscrews and some
    > linquine.

    Oh. I read the subject and thought you were starting a thread about that essay by Jonathan Swift.

    Best regards, Bob

  4. In article <[email protected]>, "NancyJaye"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > 1 package of vermicelli 2 envelopes Knorr's pesto sauce 1 lb med shrimp butter and garlic and salt
    > to taste
    >

    > Perpare vermicelli as directed. Prepare pesto as directed. Saute shrimp in butter garlic and salt
    > until pink. Mix all together. Serve with a mixed green salad and garlic bread.
    >
    > NancyJaye

    What do you add to make the pesto sauce from the mix? This sounds like a winner in August when I've
    beaucoup basil out front. Or maybe if I took some of the frozen stuff from the freezer. . . .
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

  5. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > How do you use what you have?

    Spaghetti: Spaghetti rustica, or at least just plain old meat sauce

    Fettucine: Fettucine alfredo, or Fettucine with cream sauce (yes, I still remember that thread a
    month or two ago...)

    Capellini: I refuse to call it "angel hair" :p I use it like I do spaghetti

    Linguini: again, like spaghetti -- it needs meat sauce

    Rigatoni: meat sauce, but usually I bake up like a casserole and add some mozzarella cheese and
    pepperoni.

    Rotini: meat sauce

    elbow macaroni: My wife calls it "goulash," but everyone else calls it "chili mac." It sucked in the
    school cafeteria but when I make it, it rocks. I also make macaroni and cheese from scratch in a
    modified Alton Brown recipe.

    Fiori (hexagons): I add this to chicken stew.

    Come to think of it, the vast majority of my pasta sauces have ground beef in them, if not also
    sausage or prosciutto.

    If there are spelling errors, I blame Captin Morgan. Yes, it is his fault. Also the shot
    glasses. Ciao.

    --
    John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/ [email protected]

  6. On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:17:57 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >the pastas and these 'rules': Each post should have a recipe and the subject line should indicate
    >the type of pasta used, and each post should contain REC to indicate there's a recipe included.
    >E.g., REC: Spaghetti - Spaghetti Bravissimo. I'm suggesting separate posts for each recipe so that
    >the pissing contests that are sure to ensue will be appropriately placed. Maybe it will contain the
    >drift a bit. I'll go first. :)

    A few days ago I bought a 1/4 lb piece of Coho salmon downstairs. I boiled 6 oz of speghattini
    (Setarro) in salty water. While it was boiling I minced a clove of garlic finely and put it in a
    little bowl covered with OO, maybe 2 TBSP.

    I sliced the salmon into 5-6 mm slices. When the pasta was al dente I poured it through a strainer
    into a bowl (to heat the bowl), then dumped the bowl, put the garlic and oil in, dumped the pasta on
    top, put the salmon on top of the pasta, and tossed all together.

    The salmon gets cooked as much as it needs from the pasta. I used little enough garlic, and finely
    enough minced, so it was ok as well. YMMV.

    My wife liked it, as did I. It probably would have worked fine with the much cheaper farmed salmon,
    but I have been queasy about farmed salmon lately.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    MOM CASTS TOT IN CEMENT

    Most experts voice cautious optimism

  7. EskWIRED

    EskWIRED Guest

    In rec.food.cooking, Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Without moving from my seat I can think of these pastas in my larder: Orzo, vermicelli, umbria,
    > shells, fusilli, ditalini, elbow spaghetti, rings, capellini. OK, I got up and looked. I also have
    > little teeny stars, something shaped sort of like a conch shell. orrechiette, corkscrews and some
    > linquine.

    > How do you use what you have?

    I just use it for whtatever. If it is something hearty, like sausage, I use a heavier, chewier
    pasta, like rigatoni. If it is something light, I use a finer pasta. Its no big dea

    --
    ...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

    - The Who

  8. NancyJaye

    NancyJaye Guest

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "NancyJaye" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > 1 package of vermicelli 2 envelopes Knorr's pesto sauce 1 lb med shrimp butter and garlic and
    > > salt to taste
    > >

    > > Perpare vermicelli as directed. Prepare pesto as directed. Saute shrimp in butter garlic and
    > > salt until pink. Mix all together. Serve with a mixed green salad and garlic bread.
    > >
    > > NancyJaye
    >
    > What do you add to make the pesto sauce from the mix? This sounds like a winner in August when
    > I've beaucoup basil out front. Or maybe if I took some of the frozen stuff from the freezer. . . .
    > --
    > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

    Hi Barb.

    I'm pretty sure it's just OO and water that is added to the Knorr's pesto
    mix.

    NancyJaye

  9. Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > Without moving from my seat I can think of these pastas in my larder: Orzo, vermicelli, umbria,
    > shells, fusilli, ditalini, elbow spaghetti, rings, capellini. OK, I got up and looked. I also have
    > little teeny stars, something shaped sort of like a conch shell. orrechiette, corkscrews and some
    > linquine.
    >
    > How do you use what you have? I propose a submission of recipes using the pastas and these
    > 'rules': Each post should have a recipe and the subject line should indicate the type of pasta
    > used, and each post should contain REC to indicate there's a recipe included. E.g., REC: Spaghetti
    > - Spaghetti Bravissimo. I'm suggesting separate posts for each recipe so that the pissing contests
    > that are sure to ensue will be appropriately placed. Maybe it will contain the drift a bit. I'll
    > go first. :)
    > --
    > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

    Hah! I have not one single type of pasta in my cupboard. Until 2 weeks ago I had some tarhonya but
    used it up to make Hungarian sauerkraut soup. I love pasta but seems I don't make it very often. And
    what I usually have, when I have it it plain old spaghetti. Sometimes I buy frozen ravioli or frozen
    or boxed tortellini. I use rice or potatoes much more often. Once a year I make homemade noodles for
    turkey noodle soup. But I was just thinking lately that I hadn't made spaghetti in a long time and
    that I should make some some day soon. Kate
    --
    Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that
    smiles back, Until you bite their heads off.” What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all

  10. Kate Connally wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > >
    > > Without moving from my seat I can think of these pastas in my larder: Orzo, vermicelli, umbria,
    > > shells, fusilli, ditalini, elbow spaghetti, rings, capellini. OK, I got up and looked. I also
    > > have little teeny stars, something shaped sort of like a conch shell. orrechiette, corkscrews
    > > and some linquine.
    > >
    > > How do you use what you have? I propose a submission of recipes using the pastas and these
    > > 'rules': Each post should have a recipe and the subject line should indicate the type of pasta
    > > used, and each post should contain REC to indicate there's a recipe included. E.g., REC:
    > > Spaghetti - Spaghetti Bravissimo. I'm suggesting separate posts for each recipe so that the
    > > pissing contests that are sure to ensue will be appropriately placed. Maybe it will contain the
    > > drift a bit. I'll go first. :)
    > > --
    > > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!
    >
    > Hah! I have not one single type of pasta in my cupboard. Until 2 weeks ago I had some tarhonya but
    > used it up to make Hungarian sauerkraut soup. I love pasta but seems I don't make it very often.
    > And what I usually have, when I have it it plain old spaghetti. Sometimes I buy frozen ravioli or
    > frozen or boxed tortellini. I use rice or potatoes much more often. Once a year I make homemade
    > noodles for turkey noodle soup. But I was just thinking lately that I hadn't made spaghetti in a
    > long time and that I should make some some day soon.

    Oops! I lied. I do also use egg noodles about once or twice a year and I make that summer pasta
    salad I took to the cook-in with rigatoni or ziti. Kate