A moment of silence please...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by K2, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. K2

    K2 Guest

    My loyal Bianchi Reporto Corse died this morning. On my daily work
    commute from SE Portland, OR to the IBM campus on 159th & Walker in
    Beaverton, heading West on Walker in the intersection of Mayfield and
    Walker, an older woman driving Eastbound decided to take a left turn
    directly in front of me (I had the green) giving me no option but to use
    the side of her car as a launching pad.
    Making contact at 16+ mph on her rear quarter panel I could hear the
    carbon forks snap like twigs. From there it all happened really quickly
    but a witness says I did nice flip in the air before my Celeste
    companion and I landed on the opposite side of the car against the far
    curb. I think it was a good thing the forks went so easily. Doing so
    drove my handle bars into the side of the car which took a lot of the
    shock out of the collision (left a nice dent in her car too!). Oh, I do
    remember, and the damage to my helmet proves it, that my flip was
    started from the top of my head hitting the rear of her car after my
    handlebars dug into her car. My heads fine, I need a new helmet now too
    (RIP).
    Anyway, the frame is a complete loss. The top tube was crimped, front
    Spinergy was mangled, I'll be able to salvage the Dura Ace/Ultegra set
    though maybe not the brake levers. Physically I'm more or less fine (you
    don't hit a car and simply be "fine") with a road rash on one knee and
    elbow, though I'll know better when I wake up in the morning what else
    might have been compromised.
    Well, thanks for listening. Be careful out there.
    Karl
    --
    If replying directly, please edit out the cleverly
    decorated bits from my email address.

    Tags:

  2. On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:19:40 GMT, K2 <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]_s02>:

    [snip tale of near-lethal cager incompetence]

    Shoot them and burn the bodies. It's the only solution.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  3. R15757

    R15757 Guest

    <snip> Karl's tale.

    Much better to run into the left-turning car than have
    the left-turning car run into you.

    Glad you're ok. That incident should cost her insurance
    company several thousand, sounds like.

    Robert

  4. On 26 Jun 2004 18:57:37 GMT, [email protected] (R15757) wrote:

    >Glad you're ok. That incident should cost her insurance
    >company several thousand, sounds like.

    One would hope.

    -Luigi

    >Robert

  5. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    K2 wrote:
    || My loyal Bianchi Reporto Corse died this morning. On my daily work
    || commute from SE Portland, OR to the IBM campus on 159th & Walker in
    || Beaverton, heading West on Walker in the intersection of Mayfield and
    || Walker, an older woman driving Eastbound decided to take a left turn
    || directly in front of me (I had the green) giving me no option but to
    || use the side of her car as a launching pad.
    || Making contact at 16+ mph on her rear quarter panel I could hear the
    || carbon forks snap like twigs. From there it all happened really
    || quickly but a witness says I did nice flip in the air before my
    || Celeste companion and I landed on the opposite side of the car
    || against the far curb. I think it was a good thing the forks went so
    || easily. Doing so drove my handle bars into the side of the car which
    || took a lot of the shock out of the collision (left a nice dent in
    || her car too!). Oh, I do remember, and the damage to my helmet proves
    || it, that my flip was started from the top of my head hitting the
    || rear of her car after my handlebars dug into her car. My heads fine,
    || I need a new helmet now too (RIP).
    || Anyway, the frame is a complete loss. The top tube was crimped, front
    || Spinergy was mangled, I'll be able to salvage the Dura Ace/Ultegra
    || set though maybe not the brake levers. Physically I'm more or less
    || fine (you don't hit a car and simply be "fine") with a road rash on
    || one knee and elbow, though I'll know better when I wake up in the
    || morning what else might have been compromised.
    || Well, thanks for listening. Be careful out there.
    || Karl

    Glad you're okay and I hope you get a brand new bike (and a better one than
    you had).

  6. garmonboezia

    garmonboezia Guest

    K2 <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]_s02:

    > My loyal Bianchi Reporto Corse died this morning. On my daily work
    > commute from SE Portland, OR to the IBM campus on 159th & Walker in
    > Beaverton, heading West on Walker in the intersection of Mayfield and
    > Walker, an older woman driving Eastbound decided to take a left turn
    > directly in front of me (I had the green) giving me no option but to
    > use the side of her car as a launching pad.
    > Making contact at 16+ mph on her rear quarter panel I could hear the
    > carbon forks snap like twigs. From there it all happened really
    > quickly but a witness says I did nice flip in the air before my
    > Celeste companion and I landed on the opposite side of the car against
    > the far curb. I think it was a good thing the forks went so easily.
    > Doing so drove my handle bars into the side of the car which took a
    > lot of the shock out of the collision (left a nice dent in her car
    > too!). Oh, I do remember, and the damage to my helmet proves it, that
    > my flip was started from the top of my head hitting the rear of her
    > car after my handlebars dug into her car. My heads fine, I need a new
    > helmet now too (RIP).
    > Anyway, the frame is a complete loss. The top tube was crimped, front
    > Spinergy was mangled, I'll be able to salvage the Dura Ace/Ultegra set
    > though maybe not the brake levers. Physically I'm more or less fine
    > (you don't hit a car and simply be "fine") with a road rash on one
    > knee and elbow, though I'll know better when I wake up in the morning
    > what else might have been compromised.
    > Well, thanks for listening. Be careful out there.
    > Karl

    Sorry to hear. Sounds like it's time to look at the new Bianchis, or
    Serrotta, depending on what her insurance says.

    Mike

  7. Steve Knight

    Steve Knight Guest

    though it is not your fault you need to watch all the cars in a intersection.
    expect them to turn and not see you. slow down a bit too. I have had several
    cars start or turn in front of me. but I am always slowing down when they do it
    because I expected them to do it,
    never trust a driver.

    " Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"

  8. Steve-o

    Steve-o Guest

    wrote:

    >My loyal Bianchi Reporto Corse died this morning.

    [silence]

    Sorry about your bike, glad about your intact head. I hope you have
    another way to get around, since, alas, you're still able to get
    around.

    I appreciate you posting your story. It's instructive on many levels
    to people like me who have yet to deal with such an event. If you're
    so inclined, keep us posted on how the legal/financial/physical
    aftermath plays out.

    Cheers,
    Steve

  9. On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:19:16 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:19:40 GMT, K2 <[email protected]>
    >wrote in message <[email protected]_s02>:
    >
    >[snip tale of near-lethal cager incompetence]
    >
    >Shoot them and burn the bodies. It's the only solution.

    Guy, I wouldn't expect you to know this, but in the USA you must shoot
    and burn the entire family so there is no one left who can sue you.

    Michael J. Klein [email protected]
    Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
    Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings

  10. On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:19:40 GMT, K2 <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >My loyal Bianchi Reporto Corse died this morning.

    <snip>

    Man, what a story Karl. I'm glad you are "fine" relatively speaking.
    Did the motorist stop? Did she even know she did something wrong?
    Was there an apology?

    Michael J. Klein [email protected]
    Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
    Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings

  11. On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:57:10 +0800, Michael J. Klein
    <[email protected]>:

    >>[snip tale of near-lethal cager incompetence]
    >>Shoot them and burn the bodies. It's the only solution.

    >Guy, I wouldn't expect you to know this, but in the USA you must shoot
    >and burn the entire family so there is no one left who can sue you.

    Over in uk.rec.cycling that would be expressed as: "for values of
    'them' including the entire family" :)

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  12. K2

    K2 Guest

    Michael J. Klein wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:19:40 GMT, K2 <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>My loyal Bianchi Reporto Corse died this morning.

    > <snip>
    >
    > Man, what a story Karl. I'm glad you are "fine" relatively speaking.
    > Did the motorist stop? Did she even know she did something wrong?
    > Was there an apology?

    Michael,
    Yes she did stop, but apology? Not 10 seconds after getting out of her
    car (which seemed to take a long time, I think she was discussing her
    angle with the passenger in the car) she was barfing up some bs about
    how she thought I was going to something else (I'm still not sure what
    it was) since I was in the "inside lane" (the inside lane was the bike
    lane). This story morphed into "I was turning with a green arrow" which
    the 3rd party witnessed flatly refuted since she was coming up behind me
    about to enter the same intersection.
    Follow up to damages. I got myself checked out and confirmed that there
    appears to be nothing broken and while my shoulder is very sore it seems
    to be getting better already so I don't foresee and long term effects
    from this, though I will be able to make a better determination later
    this week as the swelling from the bruising diminishes.
    I had my bike and associated items damaged in the accident assessed.
    $5100 for the bike and another $150 for the helmet. And you know? I'm
    not going to hesitate one minute to charge her insurance company for
    this, added pain and suffering and medical charges that has and might
    still incur. This woman should not be on the road.
    Oh and BTW, I took my recumbent out yesterday and did a grueling century
    just to piss her off!

    thanks for your concern,
    Karl

    --

  13. K2 wrote:

    > I had my bike and associated items damaged in the accident assessed.
    > $5100 for the bike and another $150 for the helmet. And you know? I'm
    > not going to hesitate one minute to charge her insurance company for
    > this, added pain and suffering and medical charges that has and might
    > still incur. This woman should not be on the road.

    Just to strengthen your resolve:

    I know a person who was hit by a car while walking across a Pittsburgh
    street, in a crosswalk, obeying a walk signal. She was knocked to the
    ground.

    Unfortunately, she didn't do the routine about calling cops, accident
    report, insurance company, etc. She felt she was fine. She let the
    perpetrator go.

    Now, about three months later, she's wearing a knee bandage because of
    some apparently hidden damage that surfaces only when she exercises
    vigorously.

    Don't let the woman off the hook.

    --
    --------------------+
    replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

  14. On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:29:23 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:57:10 +0800, Michael J. Klein
    ><[email protected]> wrote in message
    ><[email protected]>:
    >
    >>>[snip tale of near-lethal cager incompetence]
    >>>Shoot them and burn the bodies. It's the only solution.

    >>Guy, I wouldn't expect you to know this, but in the USA you must shoot
    >>and burn the entire family so there is no one left who can sue you.

    >Over in uk.rec.cycling that would be expressed as: "for values of
    >'them' including the entire family" :)

    Thanks for the clarification!

    Michael J. Klein [email protected]
    Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
    Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings

  15. On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:43:55 GMT, K2 <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Michael J. Klein wrote:
    >> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:19:40 GMT, K2 <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>My loyal Bianchi Reporto Corse died this morning.

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Man, what a story Karl. I'm glad you are "fine" relatively speaking.
    >> Did the motorist stop? Did she even know she did something wrong?
    >> Was there an apology?

    >Michael,
    >Yes she did stop, but apology? Not 10 seconds after getting out of her
    >car (which seemed to take a long time, I think she was discussing her
    >angle with the passenger in the car) she was barfing up some bs about
    >how she thought I was going to something else (I'm still not sure what
    >it was) since I was in the "inside lane" (the inside lane was the bike
    >lane). This story morphed into "I was turning with a green arrow" which
    >the 3rd party witnessed flatly refuted since she was coming up behind me
    > about to enter the same intersection.

    Door not even open, and considering the permutations of litigation.
    She's an American, correct? ;)

    >Follow up to damages. I got myself checked out and confirmed that there
    >appears to be nothing broken and while my shoulder is very sore it seems
    >to be getting better already so I don't foresee and long term effects
    >from this, though I will be able to make a better determination later
    >this week as the swelling from the bruising diminishes.
    >I had my bike and associated items damaged in the accident assessed.
    >$5100 for the bike and another $150 for the helmet. And you know? I'm
    >not going to hesitate one minute to charge her insurance company for
    >this, added pain and suffering and medical charges that has and might
    >still incur. This woman should not be on the road.

    As well you should Karl. No matter what her passenger thinks, she did
    wrong.

    >Oh and BTW, I took my recumbent out yesterday and did a grueling century
    >just to piss her off!

    Excellent! Don't let her hear that; it will only serve to minimize
    her guilt!

    >thanks for your concern,
    >Karl

    Thanks for the update!

    Michael J. Klein [email protected]
    Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
    Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings

  16. R15757

    R15757 Guest

    Added pain and suffering, eh? Yeah you sound like
    you're really going through hell there guy. The
    flashbacks, nightmares, panic attacks...How will you
    endure?

    Hey if you're going to play that angle you probably
    shouldn't write in a public forum how you went for a
    century like two days later "just to piss her off."

    Robert

  17. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    R15757 wrote:
    > Added pain and suffering, eh? Yeah you sound like
    > you're really going through hell there guy. The
    > flashbacks, nightmares, panic attacks...How will you
    > endure?
    >
    > Hey if you're going to play that angle you probably
    > shouldn't write in a public forum how you went for a
    > century like two days later "just to piss her off."

    And if YOU are going to write in a public forum, then you should probably
    learn how to quote.

    Bill "unless you're just trying to piss us off, that is" S.