A more secure handlebar?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by inwood10034, Oct 24, 2007.

1. inwood10034

inwood10034 New Member

I got the drop bars stolen off my bike near Union Square tonight. Is there any type of thing that one can do to make things like this more "theft-proof," like perhaps something that is removable only by a more specialized tool rather than the basic ones that it took to remove mine?
    Worst part about it was I saw a guy walking down Broadway with a set of handlebars, and thought to myself that it was a little strange. It was dark out, so I didn't recognize them as my handlebars. Five minutes later I got back to my bike and discovered they were gone.

Tags:

2. janiejones

janiejones New Member

people will knick anything. That is amazing - what's he going to do, go home and put them on his bike and say to himself "I feel good about myself, look at my new bars". It boggles my mind:confused: :confused: :confused: .

as for being more theft proof - you could walk everywhere, ride a cheap piece of junk for a commuter - but whatever it is and whatever you do - there will be someone there to steal it.

3. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

Could you use Torx bolts instead of hex bolts on the stem cap and stem bolts? Still wouldn't stop 'em getting your shifters. My philosophy is that if the bike is highly valued, it's never parked in public. Have you got an old beater?

4. Halcyon1

Halcyon1 New Member

I read once of a hint where the person suggested putting some thick grease or similar in the end of the Allen screw and then seating a ball bearing in the grease. The ball bearing needs to just fit in the screw and to get it out one apparently needs a strong magnet or a strong needle, things most thieves don't carry with them.
    Haven't tried it myself.
    Halcyon1