A new alternative to Nokons...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by synchronicity, Mar 30, 2007.

1. synchronicity

synchronicity New Member

Not sure if this post is allowed or not... :D

But I'm trying to get the word out about my new Advanced Ceramic Housing for gears and brakes ($$$). I really can't afford advertising I'm afraid. :( The brakes are actually still in the development stage though... only a few weeks to go before they're ready. :cool:

www.vertebr.ae

[​IMG]

Tags:

2. Phill P

Phill P New Member

I hope nobody minds, I can't see any harm as long as your open about plugging your own product (see below......)

Mind tell us why you think your product is any better than normal liners and why somebody should part with thier hard earnt? I'm guessing you can't do colours (one of the attractions of nokon cables). Do they keep the water out at all?

If you want exposure send some advertising detials to cyclingnews.com and to butter them up send some product, ask for a review, but don't ask for the product back :p

3. JTE83

JTE83 Member

MY CF Soloist from ebay came with Nokons and it's really nice!

Would ceramic be better as it has lower cable friction?

Really think this is overdoing it but people who spend for major bling would probably want this.

4. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

I've seen you on WW. The product is an excellent design. If it came in black it would look much cleaner than Nokons. Do they work with Powercordz? Also what would the weight saving be over shimano housings?

5. carpediemracing

carpediemracing New Member

I have very corroded Nokons. I'd suspect the ceramic doesn't corrode (just looked at site, no corrosion). That would be enough for me, well as long as it didn't cost a lot. Okay $140 for der housings makes me pause. lol.

I like the sectioned cable housing since stuffing the bike in the back of my car requires my bars to turn more than 90 degrees (no racks avail except one that I hate and no other way of fitting the bike in the car). I've blown out a few derailleur cable housings because of this and the Nokons prevent it. Now there are the Aztecs as well but they are metal like the Nokons. A non-corroding section type cable housing would be of interest to me.

Hey maybe we can work out a discount/promotion trade :)
    cdr

6. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

Aztecs are lighter too. But the shifting quality is crap.

7. synchronicity

synchronicity New Member

I'll try to answer all questions:

ADVANTAGES:

1. The modulus (=stiffness) of the alumina ceramic material is 300Gpa. Standard aluminium has a modulus of 70Gpa. I have to check this, but I'm pretty sure we also have more contact surface area between the vertebrae. This results in a compressionless housing... which in turn means an easier feeling at the gear levers, and quicker, more responsive shifting.

2. There is zero corrosion. It just isn't an issue. :)

3. Smaller segments = more flexibility.

4. More colour options.

We're still working on the brake lines... the require a modified deisgn; they exhibit a different feel at the levers. More modulation.

I'll most likely be sending a set to cyclingnews, yes. :) It doesn't say on the website yet, but these lines are Australian (so I imagine cyclingnews would be happy to review them as it's actually an Aussie website).

Production will be split between Spain (Tenerife) and Australia.

The cable doesn't touch the ceramic parts, as it has a teflon liner. Teflon has one of the lowest coefficients of friction of all materials. The friction between each ceramic vertebrae are lower than with alloy nokon pieces, yes.

BobbyOCR,
    I find the shifting quality to be excellent... I had trouble with the rear nokon shifting. Not so with my setup. :D

Derailleurs will almost certainly work with powercordz (if specified at the ordering stage). Brakes... probably not (unless you use a powercordz gear cable instead). I am yet to confirm this however... I'll be ordering a set (or two) of powercordz to be sure.

Yes you can do coloured outer jackets in several colours: CLEAR, BLACK, GREY, WHITE, CRIMSON, ORANGE, YELLOW, GREEN, and LIGHT BLUE. Colour depends on stock levels... this outer jacket protects from water. The picture shown is naked (ie no covering).

We'll consider doing a TRULY black alumina ceramic vertebrae later on... but the cost will no doubt prove to be too prohibitive now. When our stock of white ceramic runs out, I'll reconsider.

Trades or discounts might be considered on an individual basis... of course it helps enourmously if you write to me personally. ;)

8. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Can you tell us how much advertising costs?

How much would a pair for the front and rear derailleurs cost?

How about a brake set?

9. synchronicity

synchronicity New Member

$30,000 for a page in something like bicycling magazine! :eek:
    I recently spent £90 in a british weekly mag to advertise the Tenerife-Training website... web stats didn't register any more visitors than usual. Zero enquiries. So I have to go about marketing + advertising other ways...

The price is listed on the webpage for those that are interested. :)

10. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

Send me some and I'll promise to post lots of reviews ;) ;) ;)