A new benchmark for bling factor.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by genedan, Mar 31, 2010.

1. genedan

genedan New Member

Tags:

2. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

And here I thought the price for Lew wheels were obscene!

3. rschleicher

rschleicher New Member

Did you happen to look at the blow-up photo of the rear hub?

There are three flanges for the spoke attachments. At the normal flange locations (the "outer" flanges), all of the spokes are laced radially (on both drive and non-drive sides). This would normally be very bad for torque transmittal, but that problem is solved by having a third spoke flange in the middle of the hub, which has what appears to be four extra "drive spokes", that are there just for transmitting driving torque to the wheel rim.

Pretty clever, and it makes me wonder if other wheel makers will copy this (or perhaps it is patented).

Whether it is actually better than simply doing a cross-lacing on one or both sides remains to be seen, but it is certainly inventive.

4. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

Disposable income is relative, but someone (my wife will be the first) please shoot me in the head if I even think about spending that much money on a piece of equipment that won't propel me up the hill all by itself...

5. "A"

"A" New Member

Looks just like the LEW Pro VT-1 wheels:

[​IMG]

6. Bob Ross

Bob Ross New Member

Two things immediately caught my eye:

>> the added 'swirl lip generator' on the RZR rim's trailing edge supposedly reduces drag even further. <<

Um...which exactly is the "trailing edge" on a rotating object?!?!

Also,

>>(spokes are) in a unique zero-tension configuration – under load, the hubs are effectively suspended from the rim while the spokes below are allowed to flex to prevent shattering<<

Wasn't that the whole premise behind Mavic's R-SYS?

7. "A"

"A" New Member

Whichever edge that is opposite of the leading edge of the rotating wheel... :D

8. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

See if this helps......unless you are on a trainer or rollers, the wheels not only rotate but are also translate. :rolleyes:

The air typically strikes the tire first, so that's the leading edge. I guess that makes the side of the rim away from the tire (ie, the inside) the trailing edge.

9. tafi

tafi Member

R-SYS were designed with tubular spokes which were supposed to take some compressive load without buckling (something which standard spokes cannot do unless they are pre-stressed). Some of the weight was to be taken by the spokes on the lower half of the wheel through true compression rather than compression of pre-tension (like normal wheels).

This is different. It would appear from the description that pre-tension in the spokes is so low that no load at all is carried by the bottom half of the spokes. The weight simply hangs off the top of the rim only. This means that spokes in the top half are under a lot of tension, and the spokes at the bottom are under no load. Time will tell how the resulting fatigue will be withstood....