A new bike; A better way to learn?

Super Otaku

Feb 19, 2004
I guess this question of mine didn't work out in the Bike café. So maybe you guys can take it seriously.

A friend of mine told me a that a faster way to learn stunts/techniques on a bike is to have a good bike. I used to find that funny, but now I think back, it is true afterall. Good bikes have better frame design and better parts for performance. So I just wanted to know what you guys think of it.

Thanks.

Starting on a hardtail forces you to learn how to pick better lines and better moderate your braking. You simply can't rumble over the same sorts of obstacles or assume that your rear wheel will maintain contact in sections you can bomb through on an FS rig. You also have to pay more attention when riding off larger drops too.

However, a couple of years ago I switched from an old RockShox Jett XC to a newer Duke XC. An excessively flexy stem was swapped out at the same time and the difference was profound. I have scars from taking several big hits in a row without much rebound damping, and trying to hold a line when your fork has a mind of its own will only frustrate you.

I have only test ridden a FS rigs up to this point, but will upgrade next winter. The Specialized Stumpjumper Elite occupies the top spot at present. I'm sure the skills I've picked up during the last five years on a hardtail with a slack head tube will pay off in the end.