A new biker on the horizon...

bluecry

Jul 12, 2010
Hi guys,

I am writing this from Istanbul/Turkey. I have been thinking and researching about buying a much better bike than I rode when I was a kid. In my first post, may I ask your opinions on the below 3 bikes?

Giant XTC2
Giant XR1
Corratec Cross
Corratec Country...

I'd like to buy a bike that I will be cycling mostly on smooth roads and with little to hars bumps. But also, I'd like to go out some hill cycling at weekends. I want a light, sturdy and a fast bike that I can rely. I am not sure which way to go... Buy a mountain bike like XTC2 or XR1?

Thanks for helps folks... :eek:

Hello.........

My bike has been running pretty good lately. It still has problems if I let it get rained on while it's not running. It seems water is getting into either the spark plug wells, or some other electrical part like the coils. It's not a problem if I ride in the rain, it seems like the engine heat dries it up before it has an effect. If I try to start it after it sits in the rain, it will only run on full choke and has no power. If I keep trying, it ends up fouling the plugs meaning I have to remove and clean or replace them. I think getting the OEM spark plug boots will fix the problem, but I guess I'll have to wait and see. I'm not spending any extra money right now - my wife and I are trying to buy our first house.

What else...once I have more money to spend I want to get some small parts that are either rusty or otherwise look bad. I also want to reupholster the seat black. This is part of my plan of paining (or powder coating) the wheels black and painting the tank, fender, and rear plastics blue.

I am 76 years old and still biking with a group called the Huron riders, named after our church in Sarnia Ont Canada. In the 1970's did a lot of bike camping and many weekly rides ! Now I ride with our Huron group with about a dozen riders doing evening rides of 50k and weekend rides of 100k or so. I am probably the oldest active fast rider in our city but am slowing down since I am a caregiver for my ailing wife and can't get out as much. But I love cycling and will continue to cycle as long as I can !

Originally Posted by Goodtock .

I am 76 years old and still biking with a group called the Huron riders, named after our church in Sarnia Ont Canada. In the 1970's did a lot of bike camping and many weekly rides ! Now I ride with our Huron group with about a dozen riders doing evening rides of 50k and weekend rides of 100k or so. I am probably the oldest active fast rider in our city but am slowing down since I am a caregiver for my ailing wife and can't get out as much. But I love cycling and will continue to cycle as long as I can !
How long do you think you can ride? I have a friend who is 78, retired marine, and he tours all over the USA and parts of Europe.

Don't ever quit. I plan on wearing out 100 more sets of tires myself.

Welcome aboard Goodtock. You are an inspiration to cycling enthusiast. Hopefully I will be able to continue on into my 70's. I will think of you and your wife on my next ride God bless you both.
Dave

I take my hat off to you sir. You're a hero. I thought I was getting a bit long in the tooth at 52. I hope I can keep on my old push iron for as long as you. Good luck

Thanks everyone for your replies on the olde biker, always remember olde bikers don't have to fade away,you can rely on all those pumping miles from all those years and they will never let you down ! Experience is still one of the best teachers !

Originally Posted by Goodtock .

Thanks everyone for your replies on the olde biker, always remember olde bikers don't have to fade away,you can rely on all those pumping miles from all those years and they will never let you down ! Experience is still one of the best teachers !

Age is but a number!

You're very welcome to the Board.
Keep pedalling!