A new convert to clipless pedals.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by vernon levy, May 15, 2004.

  1. vernon levy

    vernon levy Guest

    Having purchased a couple of pairs of Vans shoes from Halfords at a bargain
    price of £20 per pair last June, I discovered that one pair rattled as I
    walked - more precisely the sole under the ball of my foot rattled.

    The area of the sole where the rattle emanated from looked like it could be
    cut away and I guessed that it would uncover some fixings for cleats.

    I finally bit the bullet this week and bought a set of Shimano double sided
    SPDs, fitted them to my road bike, cut away the cleat covers on the shoes
    and mounted the cleats. The most difficult operation was the cutting away
    of the cleat coverings on the soles of the shoes.

    I am most impressed with the immediately apparent transformation in the
    effort required to propel the bike and its lardy rider. Pedalling seems
    markedly easier especially on uphill stretches and, touch wood, I have not
    had any 'still clipped in' incidents.

    One thing that I have found is that although the unclipping action is meant
    to be a movement of ones heels outwards, I find that moveing them inwards is
    'more natural' for me. It there any reason why i shouldn't continue
    unclipping this way?

    Cheers

    Vernon
    In Leeds

    Tags:

  2. On Sat, 15 May 2004 20:19:12 +0100, "vernon levy" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >One thing that I have found is that although the unclipping action is meant
    >to be a movement of ones heels outwards, I find that moveing them inwards is
    >'more natural' for me. It there any reason why i shouldn't continue
    >unclipping this way?

    Anatomically speaking, I don't know. But I wouuld guess there is more
    chance of getting something caught in your bikes mechanics.

    --
    Young Musician of the Year 2004 was a fiddle

  3. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 15 May 2004 20:19:12 +0100, "vernon levy" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >One thing that I have found is that although the unclipping action is

    meant
    > >to be a movement of ones heels outwards, I find that moveing them inwards

    is
    > >'more natural' for me. It there any reason why i shouldn't continue
    > >unclipping this way?

    > Anatomically speaking, I don't know. But I wouuld guess there is more
    > chance of getting something caught in your bikes mechanics.

    I just can't wait until the 'fell over at traffic lights' story that each
    one of us has been through. ;)

  4. vernon levy

    vernon levy Guest

    > I just can't wait until the 'fell over at traffic lights' story that each
    > one of us has been through. ;)

    And what makes you think that I'd be willing to share that moment with you
    all? ;-)

    My kids thinks it's amazing and woorying that I want to be attached to the
    bike.

  5. NC

    NC Guest

    vernon levy wrote:

    [ on SPDs ]
    > One thing that I have found is that although the unclipping action is
    > meant to be a movement of ones heels outwards, I find that moveing
    > them inwards is 'more natural' for me. It there any reason why i
    > shouldn't continue unclipping this way?

    No reason, they should unclip in either direction.

    You may have the cleat at not quite the right angle for your feet, resulting
    in having to push the ankle out further than necessary to unclip; on my
    shoes the cleat is not directly in line + not perpendicular to the centre
    line of the shoe.

    Determine the correct angle by studying how a shoe without clips naturally
    lies on a flat pedal with your feet and bike.

    HTH.

    Nigel

    --
    NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/
    Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

  6. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    elyob wrote:
    > I just can't wait until the 'fell over at traffic lights' story that each
    > one of us has been through. ;)

    Hey, I haven't had that one yet. I've had 4 falls, but none of them was
    at traffic lights ;-)

    When I first fitted SPD's, I was living on a farm and I decided it made
    sense to go for a ride around the farmyard to get used to the pedals
    before going out on the road. I forgot that the farm had dogs, who
    wanted to join in the fun.

    The second time was a few days later, when I heard a rubbing noise
    coming from my Yak (the mudguard had come loose and was rubbing on the
    tyre). As I slowed to a stop, I completely forgot to unclip. This was
    one of those rare falls with no witnesses.

    On the third occasion, I was riding with my SO and was riding rather
    closer than is sensible behind a novice cyclist. When she slammed her
    brakes on to avoid an errant puppy, I found myself concentrating rather
    more on stopping than on unclipping. I received a bruised sternum from
    a bar end and the resulting pain of breathing apparently made me much
    less fun in bed for the following few weeks. I learned an important
    lesson on that ride.

    I then had 6 incident free years before the most embarrassing fall (this
    time on my recumbent). I had to dismount on a steep incline in order to
    make way for a lorry that really shouldn't have been on such a narrow
    road (it's a dead-end for motor vehicles, but Wessex Water has a pumping
    station at the end of it and they always seem to be doing some sort of
    construction work). My left pedal was too tight and failed to unclip.
    Ironically, I had replaced the pedals the previous night with the ones
    from my ATB, because I'd decided the old pedals were no longer safe.
    But I forgot to adjust the tension before riding with them.

    <url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>

  7. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    wrote:

    >One thing that I have found is that although the unclipping action is meant
    >to be a movement of ones heels outwards, I find that moveing them inwards is
    >'more natural' for me. It there any reason why i shouldn't continue
    >unclipping this way?

    Hi Vernon

    They unclip inwards, outwards and (not quite so easily) upwards.

    James

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    James Hodson wrote:

    > Hi Vernon
    >
    > They unclip inwards, outwards and (not quite so easily) upwards.
    >
    > James

    Depends on which cleats you have - the black single release or the silver
    multi-release

    Tony

  9. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 18:08:38 +0100, "Tony Raven"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Depends on which cleats you have - the black single release or the silver
    >multi-release

    Silver in my case.

    James