A new cyclist is born!

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by ch0mp, May 12, 2006.

1. ch0mp

ch0mp New Member

I just took my first spin on my first road bike today. I bought a bridgestone 550 with suntour components (im hoping thats good?) for 90 bucks from someone on craigslist. It was exactly my size, 56cm, so i'm stoked. :D
    The feeling of riding the bike is incredible, the speed, the efficiency of the machine. To move so quickly, powerfully, and easily under my own strength is an incredible feeling. The bike is such an amazing piece of machinery and I can't wait till I can get more cycling equipment- a new seat and some cycing shorts, maybe? :eek: I hope to ride my bike longer and longer, so those are a must.
    All I can think about now is riding my bike more and learning how to make it more efficient- I've been bitten by the cycling bug. Do any of you guys remember how you got hooked?

Tags:

2. janiejones

janiejones New Member

Welcome to a wonderful world.

I've been riding for most of my life. Mostly for recreation. I can't really remember how I got into road bikes though, I was into BMX in the 80s, and then moved to roadies as I got older. It just seemed like a natural move - I sort of finsihed with BMX and wanted to ride on my own and bought my first road bike. I still ride on my own a lot, it's a good time to think, and take a good look around at the world.

Have fun and enjoy the forum.

3. rule62

rule62 New Member

Pretty much the same way ch0mp. Glad to hear that you have joined the club. Welcome aboard! :)

4. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Welcome aboard. Be careful, more symptoms will follow - the need to shave your legs, to spend far more on your bike than on your car... :p

5. ch0mp

ch0mp New Member

After coming back from my ride, I noticed that i had a sore butt and my.. members were a bit sore. My bike doesnt have a very good saddle on it, and my question is- should I buy a pair or real bike shorts first or a better saddle first?

6. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

If your family jewels are sore, the saddle position is probably not correct!

I would get a pair of cycling shorts (bibs are better) right away... and then invest in a new seat... right after! :rolleyes: Get your position right (go to a shop) nothing worse than being sore in the wrong places after a ride.