A new Grouppo coming soon!!

donrhummy

Jan 5, 2006
Looks really cool. It's close to what I've been hoping for: two levers (kind of like buttons) that shift in opp. directions that are behind the brake.

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/13598.0.html

Note the two levers.
13598.21281.f.jpg

13598.21286.f.jpg

Is that from a company in Taiwan? Saw that design some months back on an East Asian cycling web site.

That's interesting. It was only a matter of time before more manufacturers came into the fray.

I'll be more interested in the price. Looks like they are shooting for the high end market. I'll stick with my trusty Shimano for right now, thank you.

kdelong said:
I'll be more interested in the price. Looks like they are shooting for the high end market. I'll stick with my trusty Shimano for right now, thank you.
Yeah, when are we gonna see a good, cheap grouppo enter the market? I need this stuff to get cheaper! ;)

One thing I like is the integrated gear-ometer which tells you what gear you're in. Very cool.

donrhummy said:
Yeah, when are we gonna see a good, cheap grouppo enter the market? I need this stuff to get cheaper! ;)

One thing I like is the integrated gear-ometer which tells you what gear you're in. Very cool.

My Campy Record already has an integrated gear-ometer: when my cadence slows, I realize I should shift to a lower gear; when my cadence is too fast, I see that I should shift to a higher gear.

Works every time.

donrhummy said:
It is also on the new Tiagra... Not numeric, but I don't necessarily need a number.

Of course, Tiagra is only 9 speed.

Does the number really help? I mean, without the number is it that hard to figure out whether you need to shift or not?

donrhummy said:
It's our own fault, we keep buying the latest and greatest - upgrading every year. The amount of margin in bike frames, components, accessories and clothing is disgusting!! -20 grams +$200 I gotta have it!

padawan said:
It's our own fault, we keep buying the latest and greatest - upgrading every year. The amount of margin in bike frames, components, accessories and clothing is disgusting!! -20 grams +$200 I gotta have it!

Are you serious? The only real margin is on accessories. High end stuff has very little margin for the dealers

alienator said:
Does the number really help? I mean, without the number is it that hard to figure out whether you need to shift or not?
Yep, it helps because sometimes I cross-gear for a about 10-20 seconds before I realize I should have shifted the front chain ring to get a change in gear. Usually happens when I've been pounding away on the flats/descents and then hit a gradual ascent that slowly gains in gradient. Knowing what gears I'm in would help (sure I could look down but do that one too many times and you're gonna run over something and pop a tire, ruin a wheel, etc).

donrhummy said:
Yep, it helps because sometimes I cross-gear for a about 10-20 seconds before I realize I should have shifted the front chain ring to get a change in gear. Usually happens when I've been pounding away on the flats/descents and then hit a gradual ascent that slowly gains in gradient. Knowing what gears I'm in would help (sure I could look down but do that one too many times and you're gonna run over something and pop a tire, ruin a wheel, etc).

Well, cross chaining isn't the issue that it once was, now that chains are narrower and more laterally flexible. Don't forget that cyclists the world over have been able to get by without gear indicators since the evolution of 8, 9, and 10 spd gruppos.

alienator said:
Well, cross chaining isn't the issue that it once was, now that chains are narrower and more laterally flexible. Don't forget that cyclists the world over have been able to get by without gear indicators since the evolution of 8, 9, and 10 spd gruppos.
Yes, but it would also help to realize how many gears "left" do I have, without having to look down. Specially when going uphill.

Not a major issue at all, as you said, lots of people have survived without this, but since this is the age of "absolutely critical upgrades" such as carbon bottle holders, carbon bolts, electronic shifting and ceramic bearings, we might as well ask for something that does have some practical use.

LeDomestique said:
Yes, but it would also help to realize how many gears "left" do I have, without having to look down. Specially when going uphill.

Not a major issue at all, as you said, lots of people have survived without this, but since this is the age of "absolutely critical upgrades" such as carbon bottle holders, carbon bolts, electronic shifting and ceramic bearings, we might as well ask for something that does have some practical use.

Are those your critical upgrades, and is that how you define "practical?"

Interesting. I wasn't aware it was so easy to distill everything down into a few adjectives and catch phrases.

Oh well, I tend to think that no matter how many gears I have left, I can't change the gearing mid-ride. In other words, on a hill, I'm pretty much stuck with the gears I have.

If you look down and see you don't have sufficient gears left, at what point do you stop and change the cassette or chainrings? Where do you carry those on your bike?

"donrhummy" said:
Knowing what gears I'm in would help (sure I could look down but do that one too many times and you're gonna run over something and pop a tire, ruin a wheel, etc).

If it's hard to look down and see what gear you're in, it must be really hard for folks to check the road behind them. The more I hear, the more I realize just how stupendously difficult it is to ride a bike. Who knew?

I kinda like the idea of an indicator: more than once I've thought I was in 20 but wasn't. This wouldn't be a cure, but it would maybe give me a hint a little sooner.

Actually, I thought I'd seen something similar on OLN when they were covering the Tour. This was at a bar, and I was distracted...

But I don't see the point of 2 levers+brake. Looks like a needless complication. I've never accidently braked while trying to shift.

Oruboris said:
I kinda like the idea of an indicator: more than once I've thought I was in 20 but wasn't. This wouldn't be a cure, but it would maybe give me a hint a little sooner.

Actually, I thought I'd seen something similar on OLN when they were covering the Tour. This was at a bar, and I was distracted...

But I don't see the point of 2 levers+brake. Looks like a needless complication. I've never accidently braked while trying to shift.
Sure if the equipment is competitively priced with the indicator then it can't hirt, but I wouldn't be paying more for something I wouldn't be paying any atention to. But I know people would.

I wish my girl friend had an indicator on the RHS briftor. She is often riding big big, and she yells at me when ever I point out shes going to be wearing out her chain and cassette more cross training.
I don't feel the need for the display, you get used to looking down over the years. Uphill isn't an issue, going fast in a pack and taking your eyes off the road for a spilt second is of more concern to me.
I guess for some riders it's a bonus, others it isn't. I'd be happy with the in line ball display on DA cables, problem is the cables are ugly (I ride campy...)

I don't think these new groups or parts will take off. Clearly just copies of other designs visually (OK the shifting is a little different), very little real innovation, and without major pro marketing and OEM spec there just won't be any penetration on the shop floor.

What would have been far smarter was to release just the rear deraillor (the shifter look cheap), but have them in different colours with the cool jockey wheels, have them light and durable, but the price of ultegra instead of red/record/DA.