A new jersey idea for roadies who...

ToddTaylor

Jun 18, 2003
... are sick of drivers nearly running us off the road!!! :mad:

After a dump-truck passed me on a hill yesterday, and it's trailer came within inches of taking-me-out, I spent pretty much the rest of my ride thinking of ways I could get the message across that it's the law that motorists give a cyclist at least 3 feet of room when passing (At least that's the law here in Wisconsin.)

Every time I ride, I get idiot motorists who pass me at the top of hills, around blind turns, and just about any where else they pass that will jeopardize both of our lives :( I'm not a slow rider either... I usually average over 20 mph (except on big hills, of course ;) )

So, I came-up with this quick jersey design that I *think* could help!???!!

(Apparently this forum doesn't allow pics?)

What do you think? I know it's not pretty, but on my training rides by myself, my main concern is just coming back alive, not looking pretty!

Although I'm almost sure motorists don't read cyclist jerseys before they cut them off, I think the lettering on this jersey is bold enough that you almost can't - not see it! :D

Hi, I actually think it is a great idea. If I were near you, I'll buy one of this.
I have a good T-shirt with a red triangle in the back and a fluorescent background
It says "Please, respect me"
Another thing I have seen here in Spain is a ticker you put in your seatpost, like this

|---------------------(here is the seatpost)

so every car is obligued to pass you to avoid colliding the 1.5m sticker (which is the distance here)

Sorry for my lame English and Cheers!!

Oscar

ToddTaylor said:

After a dump-truck passed me on a hill yesterday, and it's trailer came within inches of taking-me-out, I spent pretty much the rest of my ride thinking of ways I could get the message across that it's the law that motorists give a cyclist at least 3 feet of room when passing (At least that's the law here in Wisconsin.)

Every time I ride, I get idiot motorists who pass me at the top of hills, around blind turns, and just about any where else they pass that will jeopardize both of our lives :( I'm not a slow rider either... I usually average over 20 mph (except on big hills, of course ;) )

What do you think? I know it's not pretty, but on my training rides by myself, my main concern is just coming back alive, not looking pretty!

Although I'm almost sure motorists don't read cyclist jerseys before they cut them off, I think the lettering on this jersey is bold enough that you almost can't - not see it! :D

I love the idea, I just think you will **** of the guy even more.

BlueIcarus said:
The idea of creating such a device also entered into my mind on multiple occasions, it actually doesn't surprise me that someone has already done it ;) I'd have to put something sharp on the end, so if a car hits it, it leaves a nice *reminder* :eek: (I say this, and I am a car enthusiast as well as a cyclist :D )

I also agree that such a jersey *may* make the type of driver that doesn't give a cyclist any room even more mad.... seems like some drivers just get p.o.'ed at the site of a bicyclist simply because that person might have to let-off the gas pedal for a few seconds :(

I do think it would be neat to see an entire pace-line of bikers with these jerseys on... but then again, motorists typically have to give an entire paceline some room so the shirts wouldn't likely be necessary. :cool:

ToddTaylor said:

Copywrite this idea immediately!!!!

Trekker2017 said:
Copywrite this idea immediately!!!!
Hehe... thought about that! The way I figure it, if someone wants to steel the idea and start making some nice shirts, that would save me a lot of time and money :D I should hope that if someone took my idea, they'd at least be nice enough to give me a few jerseys ;)

ToddTaylor said:

I love the idea! I actually had thought of something similar - a jersey or tshirt that would say: Same Road Same Rules-It's The LAW! But I like your idea better. Most motorists are not aware that they must share the road with us by law. I like the idea of educating them in this manner.

Great idea Todd.

It reminds me of a jersey I saw once. Bold black letters ironed on to a florescent yellow jersey back down low by the hemline, were the letters
P O L I T E.
Simple, economic and very effective. I fell for it the first time.

Cheers.

Grits said:
I love the idea! I actually had thought of something similar - a jersey or tshirt that would say: Same Road Same Rules-It's The LAW! But I like your idea better. Most motorists are not aware that they must share the road with us by law. I like the idea of educating them in this manner.

I believe the bumper sticker says;

· Same Roads
· Same Rights
· Same Rules

The jersey is a great idea although I prefer to ride with a hydration pack which would cover the back of the jersey.

Beastt said:
I believe the bumper sticker says;

· Same Roads
· Same Rights
· Same Rules

The jersey is a great idea although I prefer to ride with a hydration pack which would cover the back of the jersey.
In that case, this ones for you :D

Another thing I have seen here in Spain is a ticker you put in your seatpost, like this

so every car is obligued to pass you to avoid colliding the 1.5m sticker (which is the distance here)

I like the idea. How about making it from the same fabric the road workers wear, florescent orange or yellow.

ToddTaylor said:

I WANT ONE!

HellonWheels said:
I WANT ONE!
I like the idea, but have found through experience - most of it the hard way - that the only people who read these things are we cyclists. Saw an interesting bumper sticker a couple of years ago "Give bicycles room - it's the law." It was on the bumper of a car that pulled a quick right turn in front of me resulting in my hitting the right rear quarter panel, rolling diagonally across the trunk, falling to the pavement where I see the sticker. His excuse to the police officer - "I didn't see him." He got off with a warning, I got a ticket for not having a bell on my bicycle!

tmccall said:
I like the idea, but have found through experience - most of it the hard way - that the only people who read these things are we cyclists. Saw an interesting bumper sticker a couple of years ago "Give bicycles room - it's the law." It was on the bumper of a car that pulled a quick right turn in front of me resulting in my hitting the right rear quarter panel, rolling diagonally across the trunk, falling to the pavement where I see the sticker. His excuse to the police officer - "I didn't see him." He got off with a warning, I got a ticket for not having a bell on my bicycle!

That is absolutely bizarre! Its like the cars with Christian stickers that give you the finger? (lol)

I don't drive; I don't even know how to, I get around by bus and bike. And I have found over the years that some car drivers are real asses...and its the old guys back where I used to live with the big boxy cars that act like they own the road, they door you on narrow city streets and then act like its YOUR fault for BEING THERE ("Get on the sidewalk!") if they hit you.

Yeah, got a few of those boneheads around here too. In the summer of '98 I got clipped in a hit and run. Bangs, bumps and bruises and the bike was a write-off. Good samaritan stopped to help me out. Told me what an idiot I was that I was too busy trying to save my life to get a plate number and then pointed out that the accident never would have happened had I been riding on the sidewalk where I belonged!

Grits said:
I like the idea of educating them in this manner.
I have the sense that now one likes to be educated by a complete stranger!
The Idea is really nice, but it would probably have best results if instead of "It's the law" it had something like "Please!" or "Thank you!".

I'm more and more of the opinion that people are nice and like to be nice to others, but if we try to 'educate' them, we (the people) tend to become rude!

Perhaps it would be more effective to ride a tandem. With the rider on the back armed with a flame thrower keeping autos at bay.

Nice, but make some with the arrow on the other side for us who ride on the LEFT. I'd get one (or 2 or 3) for sure (rules/the actual laws I'm not so sure about but it makes sense to me, anyone know what the rule is for NSW?)