A new SRM model??

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by JIM WV, Jan 8, 2007.

1. JIM WV

JIM WV New Member

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2007/probikes/?d=quickstep_specialized_boonen

Just FYI that I thought interesting. Link is from cyclingnews with a look at Boonen's new Specialized Tarmac. Bike obviously has an SRM mounted but article never mentions it and I can't tell whether it's a new Specialized crank-based model or an FSA/SRM. The text mentions the cranks as being Specialized carbon models and, curiously, none of the photos focus on the drive side crank (although you can clearly see the white SRM cover in the pic of the front derail).

Tags:

2. peterpen

peterpen New Member

The most interesting aspect of the 'Specialized' SRM is that is alleged to use Campy rings with their 135 BCD.

3. gregkeller

gregkeller New Member

The "specialized" cranks looks to be using a lot of the same parts/ideas as campys new cranks, with the two part crank that meets in the middle with those "teeth". Definantly an SRM on the bike, probably had SRM make a few to fit the speicalized cranks, but my bet is that SRM isn't a sponsor of quickstep so they took the computer off for the pics. There is a pic of Bettini on his bike and you can see the SRM head unit.

4. LarsEjaas

LarsEjaas New Member

I thought about the exact same thing - no close up on the drive side of the cranks - It is definitely a "sponsor" thing. Well, it's really nice - when campagnolo has refused to cowork with SRM on a powermeter build into their new cranks. OK, it says "specialized" but it is as close to a Campy crankset as you get if you want an SRM powermeter. NICE!

5. MikeMuk

MikeMuk New Member

As far as my understanding went, it is very easy for SRM to produce models for whatever new crank comes along - the crank needs to be machined to remove the spider and so that there is a flat surface for the SRM to blot to. Then the axle needs and machining (or possibly the SRM spider - depends on how much material there is in the centre), the drill 3/4 blots into the back of the crank arm, tap them et voila - you have SRm on your crank system. If I had access to a machine shop, I'd be tempted to pick up a cannondale SRM system (as they seem to get sold alot) and machine some splines onto a dura ace crank to get it to fit.

Mike