A New Years Surprise!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jenny, Dec 30, 2004.

  1. Jenny

    Jenny Guest

    Over the past month or so, I have been eating quite a lot of junk. Our
    family decided to not spend a lot of money on presents we really don't
    need and to give that money to charity instead. So we made a rule that
    we'd only give each other fancy food treats. I was thinking fancy cheese
    and pate, but, unfortunately, the Most Perfect Man in the World really
    overdid it with the fancy chocolates, leading me to eat an awful lot of
    it. Plus, you know how things get at this time of the year.

    I stopped counting calories and had stopped weighing, too, because I was
    sure I wouldn't like what I saw. I figured I'd get back to some serious
    calorie counting come January 2nd when the world clicks briefly into
    diet mode.

    So imagine my surprise when I got on the scale this morning and saw that
    I weighed a whopping 140.5! I haven't gained anything!

    I'm completely amazed. I ate a whole lot less last December and ended up
    gaining almost 5 lbs. All I can figure is that the Metformin I'm
    taking, by controlling my insulin resistance, has turned off the "eat
    anything, turn it immediately into fat" response that I had previously
    had, even after years of low carbing.

    The only other explanations I can think of are these: that the DHEA I'm
    taking, seems to have driven my blood sugar down another 20 mg/dl to
    completely normal levels and it is possible that this is helping too.

    Also, we turned down our thermostat because oil is so expensive this
    year and it has been extremely cold this month. Our house temperature is
    pretty close to 60 degrees except for a few hours a day, and I work at
    home. I've been feeling the cold a lot and am wondering whether perhaps
    I'm burning a lot more calories just keeping warm.

    Whatever it is, I'll take it. This is the first time I've eaten freely
    without gaining in seven years. What a wonderful holiday surprise.

    Now I'm wondering if I should do the usual January diet anyway, or give
    myself a break. I look pretty wattle-y when I get much under 140 lbs.

    --Jenny Type 2 diabetes since 1998. Hba1c 5.7%
    Low Carbing for 5 years. 140 lbs (goal)

    Cut the "carbs" to respond to my email address.
    What they Don't Tell You About Diabetes Web Site
    http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/

    Jenny's Low Carb Diet Facts & Figures site
    http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/

    Looking for help controlling your blood sugar?
    Visit http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/Newly Diagnosed.htm

  2. Doug Lerner

    Doug Lerner Guest

    I assume, Jenny, you are not recommending an all-you-can-eat chocolate
    diet for everybody though, right? :)

    Anyway, congratulations!

    doug

  3. S t a c i

    S t a c i Guest

    "Jenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Over the past month or so, I have been eating quite a lot of junk. Our
    > family decided to not spend a lot of money on presents we really don't
    > need and to give that money to charity instead. So we made a rule that
    > we'd only give each other fancy food treats. I was thinking fancy cheese
    > and pate, but, unfortunately, the Most Perfect Man in the World really
    > overdid it with the fancy chocolates, leading me to eat an awful lot of
    > it. Plus, you know how things get at this time of the year.
    >
    > I stopped counting calories and had stopped weighing, too, because I was
    > sure I wouldn't like what I saw. I figured I'd get back to some serious
    > calorie counting come January 2nd when the world clicks briefly into
    > diet mode.
    >
    > So imagine my surprise when I got on the scale this morning and saw that
    > I weighed a whopping 140.5! I haven't gained anything!
    >
    > I'm completely amazed. I ate a whole lot less last December and ended up
    > gaining almost 5 lbs. All I can figure is that the Metformin I'm
    > taking, by controlling my insulin resistance, has turned off the "eat
    > anything, turn it immediately into fat" response that I had previously
    > had, even after years of low carbing.
    >
    > The only other explanations I can think of are these: that the DHEA I'm
    > taking, seems to have driven my blood sugar down another 20 mg/dl to
    > completely normal levels and it is possible that this is helping too.
    >
    > Also, we turned down our thermostat because oil is so expensive this
    > year and it has been extremely cold this month. Our house temperature is
    > pretty close to 60 degrees except for a few hours a day, and I work at
    > home. I've been feeling the cold a lot and am wondering whether perhaps
    > I'm burning a lot more calories just keeping warm.
    >
    > Whatever it is, I'll take it. This is the first time I've eaten freely
    > without gaining in seven years. What a wonderful holiday surprise.
    >
    > Now I'm wondering if I should do the usual January diet anyway, or give
    > myself a break. I look pretty wattle-y when I get much under 140 lbs.
    >

    > --Jenny Type 2 diabetes since 1998. Hba1c 5.7%
    > Low Carbing for 5 years. 140 lbs (goal)
    >
    > Cut the "carbs" to respond to my email address.
    > What they Don't Tell You About Diabetes Web Site
    > http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/
    >
    > Jenny's Low Carb Diet Facts & Figures site
    > http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/
    >
    > Looking for help controlling your blood sugar?
    > Visit http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/Newly Diagnosed.htm

    Congrats, Jenny! There is a lot to be said for calories burned while trying
    to keep yourself warm!

    S t a c i

  4. Saffire

    Saffire Guest

    says...

    > So imagine my surprise when I got on the scale this morning and saw that
    > I weighed a whopping 140.5! I haven't gained anything!

    Good show, Jenny!

    > I'm completely amazed. I ate a whole lot less last December and ended up
    > gaining almost 5 lbs. All I can figure is that the Metformin I'm
    > taking, by controlling my insulin resistance, has turned off the "eat
    > anything, turn it immediately into fat" response that I had previously
    > had, even after years of low carbing.
    >
    > The only other explanations I can think of are these: that the DHEA I'm
    > taking, seems to have driven my blood sugar down another 20 mg/dl to
    > completely normal levels and it is possible that this is helping too.

    I'm filing this info away in case I ever need it (chances are I
    eventually WILL).

    > Also, we turned down our thermostat because oil is so expensive this
    > year and it has been extremely cold this month. Our house temperature is
    > pretty close to 60 degrees except for a few hours a day, and I work at
    > home. I've been feeling the cold a lot and am wondering whether perhaps
    > I'm burning a lot more calories just keeping warm.

    Same here. Last year I bought several pairs of cheapo flannel gloves
    and cut the tips off of them to wear around the house.

    --
    Saffire
    205/145/125 - 5'1.5"

  5. Jenny

    Jenny Guest

    Doug Lerner wrote:
    > I assume, Jenny, you are not recommending an all-you-can-eat chocolate
    > diet for everybody though, right? :)
    >
    > Anyway, congratulations!
    >
    > doug

    Doug,

    Well the one good thing about the "eat all you can stand chocolate diet"
    is that after a few weeks you really do get to where you don't want to
    even look at chocolate any more. But no, I don't recommend it. <g>

    What I _am_ recommending, is getting medical help with insulin
    resistance, if, after a prolonged time eating at a low carb level, low
    carbing alone does not eliminate hunger or, in conjunction with calorie
    restriction, make weight loss possible.

    -Jenny Type 2 diabetes since 1998. Hba1c 5.7%
    Low Carbing for 5 years. 140 lbs (goal)

    Cut the "carbs" to respond to my email address.
    What they Don't Tell You About Diabetes Web Site
    http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/

    Jenny's Low Carb Diet Facts & Figures site
    http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/

    Looking for help controlling your blood sugar?
    Visit http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/Newly Diagnosed.htm

  6. Better living through drug consumption.

    --
    You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW

    "Jenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Doug Lerner wrote:
    >> I assume, Jenny, you are not recommending an all-you-can-eat chocolate
    >> diet for everybody though, right? :)
    >>
    >> Anyway, congratulations!
    >>
    >> doug

    > Doug,
    >
    > Well the one good thing about the "eat all you can stand chocolate diet"
    > is that after a few weeks you really do get to where you don't want to
    > even look at chocolate any more. But no, I don't recommend it. <g>
    >
    > What I _am_ recommending, is getting medical help with insulin
    > resistance, if, after a prolonged time eating at a low carb level, low
    > carbing alone does not eliminate hunger or, in conjunction with calorie
    > restriction, make weight loss possible.
    >
    > -Jenny Type 2 diabetes since 1998. Hba1c 5.7%
    > Low Carbing for 5 years. 140 lbs (goal)
    >
    > Cut the "carbs" to respond to my email address.
    > What they Don't Tell You About Diabetes Web Site
    > http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/
    >
    > Jenny's Low Carb Diet Facts & Figures site
    > http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/
    >
    > Looking for help controlling your blood sugar?
    > Visit http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/Newly Diagnosed.htm

  7. nanner

    nanner Guest

    "Jenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Over the past month or so, I have been eating quite a lot of junk. Our
    > family decided to not spend a lot of money on presents we really don't
    > need and to give that money to charity instead. So we made a rule that
    > we'd only give each other fancy food treats. I was thinking fancy cheese
    > and pate, but, unfortunately, the Most Perfect Man in the World really
    > overdid it with the fancy chocolates, leading me to eat an awful lot of
    > it. Plus, you know how things get at this time of the year.
    >
    > I stopped counting calories and had stopped weighing, too, because I was
    > sure I wouldn't like what I saw. I figured I'd get back to some serious
    > calorie counting come January 2nd when the world clicks briefly into diet
    > mode.
    >
    > So imagine my surprise when I got on the scale this morning and saw that I
    > weighed a whopping 140.5! I haven't gained anything!

    Same thing happened to me! I have been totally off LC since Thanksgiving and
    have been amazed that I am still at the same weight! And I consumed a piece
    of chocolate in the last 3 days that was the size of a floor tile! Really,
    like 12"x12" and 1/2" thick - bad me! I've been a hog but lucky in the way I
    didn't put the pounds back on. All my weight loss came during pregnancies
    though - i always thought I had a great metabolism. Anyway - I am getting
    back on the wagon...starting tomorrow! ;-)