A newbie question

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Richard Morris, Sep 15, 2003.

  1. I started jogging (yet again) and I get about a .5 mile into the jog and the bottom part of my
    calves start to feel an uncomfortable pressure. As I continue they begin to feel like they are going
    to explode, any body have any ideas on what this is and how to prevent it?

    Tags:

  2. jobin

    jobin Guest

    might just be the "getting-used-to-it" part. a friend of mine always has pain in his legs when he
    tries to run on the road. he does the treadmill without any problems.

    how far do you run?

    sometimes it could also be due to not having warmed up properly. if i try to go out too fast, my
    legs hurt too.

    however, if it really feels like it's going to explode, maybe you could do a google search on
    "compartment syndrome." not to suggest that it might be your problem, but it might help to see.

    jobs

    Richard Morris <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I started jogging (yet again) and I get about a .5 mile into the jog and the bottom part of my
    > calves start to feel an uncomfortable pressure. As I continue they begin to feel like they are
    > going to explode, any body have any ideas on what this is and how to prevent it?

  3. Roger Hunter

    Roger Hunter Guest

    "Richard Morris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I started jogging (yet again) and I get about a .5 mile into the jog and
    the
    > bottom part of my calves start to feel an uncomfortable pressure. As I continue they begin to feel
    > like they are going to explode, any body have any ideas on what this is and how to prevent it?

    Cluster bomblets. Your calves are turning into cluster bomblets. Stop running immediately, lie back
    with your feet in the air, and shout "EODO!, EODO!" (Explosives Ordnance Disposal Officer) several
    times. An EODO will rush to your side and defuse the little buggers. You'll be able to resume
    jogging within a week.

    Roger.

  4. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Richard Morris wrote:

    > I started jogging (yet again) and I get about a .5 mile into the jog and the bottom part of my
    > calves start to feel an uncomfortable pressure. As I continue they begin to feel like they are
    > going to explode, any body have any ideas on what this is and how to prevent it?

    Like in your achilles area or just above it? This is frequently caused by tight calves. Massaging
    would be helpful to loosen the calf muscles, then stretching. More to the immediate point, could you
    already have achilles tendinitis? Is there a lump on the back of your ankle where the exploding
    (burning?) feeling is coming from, or is it up higher?

    You might do a search on "calf" or "achilles" in http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/ There's also
    tons of useful information in there. Ozzie also usually posts on calf massaging/stretching, but
    can't remember if he's done it recently or not. They generally aren't in google, but some of the
    info is in the above faq's.

    You might need to be sure you're giving your legs adequate rest between workouts if you're just
    starting again. I think you mentioned you had had back surgery not too long ago.

    Dot

  5. Jake Lee

    Jake Lee Guest

    "Roger Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Richard Morris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > I started jogging (yet again) and I get about a .5 mile into the jog and
    > the
    > > bottom part of my calves start to feel an uncomfortable pressure. As I continue they begin to
    > > feel like they are going to explode, any body
    have
    > > any ideas on what this is and how to prevent it?
    >
    > Cluster bomblets. Your

    There's another one o' them pesky four-letter "y" words...

    calves are turning into cluster bomblets. Stop
    > running immediately, lie back with your feet in the air, and shout "EODO!, EODO!" (Explosives
    > Ordnance Disposal Officer) several times. An EODO
    will
    > rush to your side and defuse the little buggers. You'll be able to
    resume
    > jogging within a week.
    >

    > Roger.

    The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><

  6. I attempt to jog 3.2 miles. I'll try a treadmill to see if I feel it there. There is a small hill
    (pedestrian bridge over the street) that is around the .5 mile marker and it is followed by another
    hill, could the hills have anything to do with it?

    > might just be the "getting-used-to-it" part. a friend of mine always has pain in his legs when he
    > tries to run on the road. he does the treadmill without any problems.
    >
    > how far do you run?
    >
    > sometimes it could also be due to not having warmed up properly. if i try to go out too fast, my
    > legs hurt too.
    >
    > however, if it really feels like it's going to explode, maybe you could do a google search on
    > "compartment syndrome." not to suggest that it might be your problem, but it might help to see.
    >
    > jobs
    >
    > Richard Morris <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > I started jogging (yet again) and I get about a .5 mile into the jog and
    the
    > > bottom part of my calves start to feel an uncomfortable pressure. As I continue they begin to
    > > feel like they are going to explode, any body
    have
    > > any ideas on what this is and how to prevent it?

  7. jobin

    jobin Guest

    Richard Morris <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I attempt to jog 3.2 miles. I'll try a treadmill to see if I feel it there. There is a small hill
    > (pedestrian bridge over the street) that is around the .5 mile marker and it is followed by
    > another hill, could the hills have anything to do with it?

    maybe. you could try the same route but try walking the hill.

    when i was a newbie, i used to go for a regular 5.5 mile run. sometimes, when i went out a bit too
    fast, i'd experience pain in my calf region about 3/4th of a mile into the run. i'd slow down and
    keep running and eventually it would disappear. the first mile of my run used to be uphill.

    on the other hand, if this pain in your calf lingers long after you've finished your run, it might
    be a bit worrisome.

    also, make sure you're not overlooking other factors: shoes, weather, etc.

    jobs