A Newbie Sees The Light!

kaikane

Jul 2, 2005
So, after months of riding in any old piece of clothing that was clean that day, I finally bought "real" cycling clothing: Shorts and a jersey from Colorado Cyclist and a pair of gel gloves from Specialized.
I was amazed at the difference in my comfort level. My usual 20 mile ride turned into a 30+ mile ride because I felt great.
So, for all you other newbies out there. Spend the money. Buy the gear. It DOES make a difference. At least it did for me.
Now, what I want to know is: what's the difference between the $40 shorts I bought and the $100 shorts? Will they let me ride a century?

great news!

I am going to take my first ride in cycling shorts tomorrow. I hope that my results are as good as yours were.

dgregory57 said:
great news!

I am going to take my first ride in cycling shorts tomorrow. I hope that my results are as good as yours were.
have a great ride! :)

I was much the same way until about two years ago. I rode whatever I had around and thought guys that wore the shorts and jerseys were "posers". Wow, was I ever wrong. Makes all the difference in the world, and I feel a little strange getting on one of my bikes, even for a short ride to the store or work, without my shorts. Same with clipless pedals. Once you switch, you can't see ever trying to go back. As far as the difference between $40 and $100 shorts, I'd say if you move up to that level, get bibs. I've got 3 bibs and one regular short and don't ever wear the regular short any more. Got more bibs on the way, though. :D

Cycling shorts newbies, don't forget... no underwear!

The difference between the cheap shorts and the expensive ones is largely due to the quality of materials, especially in the chamois. The more expensive ones tend to have more chamois panels, which helps it stay closer to your body and reduce chafing, etc. Bibs are the way to go.

From a relatively newbie...I never tried without riding w/o padded shorts but agree. Also, I have determined that the second best thing to them are clipless pedals & cycling shoes. HUGE difference.

MCOSR said:
Also, I have determined that the second best thing to them are clipless pedals & cycling shoes. HUGE difference.
Shoes and clipless pedals: I'm not there yet. They're so expensive and I'm a little intimidated by all the choices. I'll keep looking into it, though. I've heard much the same about their increased efficiency on these boards. Thanks. :)

I just got out of the shower after my first ride with cycling shorts and sleeveless yellow jersey. I am 6' tall and 300 lbs. I feel good, but a couple of issues concern me.

Last week I rode in briefs, swim trunks (loose fitting) and a yellow sleeveless t-shirt. I drank two bottles of water during the ride and a couple of small bites of banana (the rest liquified in my bike "trunk"). I ended up pushing up four sections of hill (relatively small hills on my route).

I rode the same route I rode last Sunday, and this was my first ride since then. Rolling hills and 22 miles for the loop.

The results (in order of occurence).

Rode up hills that I had pushed last week for the first half of the trip.
Had an idiot gun his engine behind me several times on a bridge, and then with about 100 feet to go before a red light he zoomed past me, to wait in front of me rather than behind me... Was it my cycling shorts that caused this ire???

About 5 miles later a moron in a cage passed by me and yelled at me impolitely and said I should ride on the sidewalk. I told him, almost as impolitely, to bite me.

He then stopped in the middle of the road and continued his verbal abuse, during which I pointed out to him that by the vehicle code, I was within my rights. He then proclaimed that I was wrong, because he has his CDL (I believe this is Commercial Driver License). I at that point just said to read the code again and waited for him to leave.

As he started to pull off, I started rolling too, at which point he pulled over to cut me off and intimidate me. I simply called out, "That is assault" and after a second or two at low speed he pulled away. I wonder if my proper cycling attire caused him additional grief. :rolleyes:

I only wish I had the presence of mind to get his license number to give to the police...

I then did ride up most of one hill, which is right before I take a rest break, and pushed the last 50 yards, I probably could have made it, but there was something about knowing I was going to get off in a minute anyway.

Then I rounded a corner nice and fast (for me), just to discover that they had chopped up the road since last week in order to lay new blacktop... I was able to slow down enough to get through safely.

I then stopped in the park where I ate part of a banana last week, and ate an apple, then continued my ride and got home.

The differences betwen last week and this.

1) the clothing
2) diluted gatorade instead of plain water
3) slightly cooler (80 versus 85)

I got home and my computer read 1:50 instead of the 1:59 last week...

Next step is in a few months, I will make the move to clipless pedals.

Also, I feel much better after the ride. I expect to go to the gym this afternoon, and take another nice ride tomorrow.

kaikane said:
whoa. dgregory, sounds like a bad day, shorts or no shorts!
Yeah, the only thing that would have made it worse is if I hadn't cycled at all.
:D

It was only a few minutes of inconvenience on a ride of almost 2 hours. ;)