A NH and N.E. icon... Old Man of the Mountain GONE

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Clydesdalemtb, May 3, 2003.

  1. The Old Man of the Mountain, a stern granite profile that symbolized the state's independence and
    stubbornness, is gone.....

    A state park trails crew reported at about 7:30 Saturday that the 40-foot tall face was gone from
    Profile Mountain.

    This is no joke, we just got back from there, it's gone!!!!!

    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/05/03/national/main552178.shtml

    Tags:

  2. >The Old Man of the Mountain, a stern granite profile that symbolized the state's independence and
    >stubbornness, is gone.....

    Major bummer! I went up there once with my Old Man (1973-ish) to look at it.

    What is NH going ot do now?

    Steve

  3. ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
    > The Old Man of the Mountain, a stern granite profile that symbolized the state's independence and
    > stubbornness, is gone.....
    >
    > A state park trails crew reported at about 7:30 Saturday that the 40-foot tall face was gone from
    > Profile Mountain.
    >

    > This is no joke, we just got back from there, it's gone!!!!!
    >

    > http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/05/03/national/main552178.shtml

    Just posted it, but looks like you got out your post first, and it just didn't show up on my server
    until now.

    the Tufts "Loj" is right near there - some people were going to go hiking to see the face better
    next weekend, and now they can't go.

    I'm glad I've seen it (more than) a few times.

    Jon Bond

  4. Kayak777

    Kayak777 Guest

    Anyone check for climbers under the rubble pile? Or an arm? A few years ago someone anchored to
    a very large boulder not too far from there and managed to pull it off the top of the cliff
    when he fell.

    ClydesdaleMTB wrote:

    > The Old Man of the Mountain, a stern granite profile that symbolized the state's independence and
    > stubbornness, is gone.....
    >
    > A state park trails crew reported at about 7:30 Saturday that the 40-foot tall face was gone from
    > Profile Mountain.
    >
    > This is no joke, we just got back from there, it's gone!!!!!
    >
    > http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/05/03/national/main552178.shtml

  5. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    kayak777 wrote:
    > Anyone check for climbers under the rubble pile? Or an arm? A few years ago someone anchored to
    > a very large boulder not too far from there and managed to pull it off the top of the cliff when
    > he fell.

    Find an arm like this guy's:

    http://msnbc.com/news/908232.asp?0cl=cR

    > ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
    >

    >>The Old Man of the Mountain, a stern granite profile that symbolized the state's independence and
    >>stubbornness, is gone.....
    >>
    >>A state park trails crew reported at about 7:30 Saturday that the 40-foot tall face was gone from
    >>Profile Mountain.
    >>
    >>This is no joke, we just got back from there, it's gone!!!!!
    >>
    >>http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/05/03/national/main552178.shtml

    That is a major drag! Something so popular and recognized just disappeared.

    Greg

  6. G.T. wrote:
    >>> This is no joke, we just got back from there, it's gone!!!!!
    >>>
    >>> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/05/03/national/main552178.shtml

    > That is a major drag! Something so popular and recognized just disappeared.

    No kidding the state symbol is gone. The image is EVERYWHERE The State quarter, our license plates,
    the State Seal/Flag even our highway signs.. and now its gone, just a pile of granite rubble.

  7. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > I'll bet there is no good riding in NH. Because google doesn't pull it up. And no one here will
    > spill their guts.
    >
    > TJ
    >

    > "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > The Old Man of the Mountain, a stern granite profile that symbolized the state's independence
    > > and stubbornness, is gone.....
    > >
    > > A state park trails crew reported at about 7:30 Saturday that the 40-foot tall face was gone
    > > from Profile Mountain.
    > >

    > > This is no joke, we just got back from there, it's gone!!!!!
    > >

    > > http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/05/03/national/main552178.shtml

    Your just looking in the wrong places. most if not all RRs by ClydesdaleMTB are located in NH as far
    as i know.

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

  8. >I'll bet there is no good riding in NH.

    Nope, none at all plesae stay home.

    > Because google doesn't pull it up.

    Google on: "FOMBA" "Bear Brook" "Pawtuckaway" "Fort Rock" "Mine Fall's" and those are just the ones
    within 1/2 hour of my domicile.

    > And no one here will spill their guts.

    I try not to spill my guts on the trail. The only thin I try and leave behind is drops of sweat.....
    but I've claned up enough wrecked Barney's to know what spilled guts on trails looks like.

  9. Tj

    Tj Guest

    > >I'll bet there is no good riding in NH.
    >
    > Nope, none at all plesae stay home.
    >

    > > Because google doesn't pull it up.
    >
    > Google on: "FOMBA" "Bear Brook" "Pawtuckaway" "Fort Rock" "Mine Fall's" and those are just the
    > ones within 1/2 hour of my domicile.
    >

    > > And no one here will spill their guts.
    >
    > I try not to spill my guts on the trail. The only thin I try and leave behind is drops of
    > sweat..... but I've claned up enough wrecked Barney's to know what spilled guts on trails
    > looks like.

    Thanks. I am heading there in Sep for some riding, and a wedding.

    TJ

  10. TJ wrote:

    > I am heading there in Sep for some riding, and a wedding.

    If you can ride only one, do NOT miss FOMBA www.fomba.com but Bear Brook should be on the "must
    ride" list as well..

  11. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    No surprise to me seen the 1990 pic and it was just something that would only take time. The wall
    come thumbing down.

    Fire up MTB 03

  12. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    I GUESS GONE from every coin and photo and life goes on.

    Fire up MTB 03

  13. Tj

    Tj Guest

    > TJ wrote:
    >
    > > I am heading there in Sep for some riding, and a wedding.
    >

    > If you can ride only one, do NOT miss FOMBA www.fomba.com but Bear Brook should be on the "must
    > ride" list as well..

    Should I bring some FU stickers from Fruita to hand out to some of the locals while I am back there?

    TJ

  14. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Stephen Baker wrote:
    >>The Old Man of the Mountain, a stern granite profile that symbolized the state's independence and
    >>stubbornness, is gone.....
    >

    > Major bummer! I went up there once with my Old Man (1973-ish) to look at it.
    >
    > What is NH going ot do now?
    >
    > Steve

    One article that I read said that the governor wants some sort of restoration and reconstruction
    undertaken. Now they've just got to find a plastic surgeon willing to work on a mountain, who can be
    convinced to restore the old man, and not the face of some buff young stud.

    Kathleen

  15. TJ wrote:
    > "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>TJ wrote:
    >>
    >> > I am heading there in Sep for some riding, and a wedding.
    >>

    >>If you can ride only one, do NOT miss FOMBA www.fomba.com but Bear Brook should be on the "must
    >>ride" list as well..
    >>

    > Should I bring some FU stickers from Fruita to hand out to some of the locals while I am
    > back there?
    >
    > TJ

    You better! Unfortunately, I've got races every weekend (besides the first) in september, or I'd
    come ride with you. If you're coming through the boston area at all and have some riding time during
    the week, let me know. I should have a car next year, so I can ride in the nearby area on most days,
    depending on my class schedule.

    Jon Bond

  16. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    kayak777 wrote:
    > Anyone check for climbers under the rubble pile? Or an arm? A few years ago someone anchored to
    > a very large boulder not too far from there and managed to pull it off the top of the cliff when
    > he fell.

    Isnt there a current US newstory about a solo climber whose arm got stuck when a large slab
    slipped and trapped it. Story goes that after 4 days he cut off his own arm with a pocketknife and
    walked out. Mike

  17. Kathleen wrote:
    > One article that I read said that the governor wants some sort of restoration and reconstruction
    > undertaken.

    The Governor (Craig Benson) is also the former CEO of Cabletron where I worked for 10 years.. He's a
    hard core business-man first and foremost which is why he's in office and the "polititcians" out.

    Sure, it CAN be done, but the question that is going to rage is SHOULD it be done.

  18. TJ wrote:
    > "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>TJ wrote:
    >>
    >> > I am heading there in Sep for some riding, and a wedding.
    >>

    >>If you can ride only one, do NOT miss FOMBA www.fomba.com but Bear Brook should be on the "must
    >>ride" list as well..
    >>

    > Should I bring some FU stickers from Fruita to hand out to some of the locals while I am
    > back there?

    I am of the opinoin that you need to _earn_ your FU sticker.

    Now if you can get you habds on a F.U.C.T. sticker..... I'll swap you for a special edition(gold
    "Life Member") FOMBA sticker ;-)

  19. Taywood wrote:
    > kayak777 wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone check for climbers under the rubble pile? Or an arm? A few years ago someone anchored to
    >>a very large boulder not too far from there and managed to pull it off the top of the cliff when
    >>he fell.
    >

    > Isnt there a current US newstory about a solo climber whose arm got stuck when a large slab
    > slipped and trapped it. Story goes that after 4 days he cut off his own arm with a pocketknife and
    > walked out.

    Yup, now that's what I call HARDCORE

    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/state/article/0,1299,DRMN_21_1934680,00.html

  20. Tj

    Tj Guest

    > TJ wrote:
    > > "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > >>If you can ride only one, do NOT miss FOMBA www.fomba.com but Bear Brook should be on the "must
    > >>ride" list as well..
    > >>

    > > Should I bring some FU stickers from Fruita to hand out to some of the locals while I am back
    > > there?
    >
    > I am of the opinoin that you need to _earn_ your FU sticker.
    >
    > Now if you can get you habds on a F.U.C.T. sticker..... I'll swap you for a special edition(gold
    > "Life Member") FOMBA sticker ;-)

    Unfortunately, I am unable to gain access to the Fruita University Cycling Team stickers. I don't
    think I ride sick enough sh*t to justify ownership. I do proudly display an FU sticker. There is
    also an FU2 sticker available. Because there is a Fruita, UT.

    TJ