A (nice) Ti bike for college racing?

cshong88

Nov 6, 2005
Hi, I will be a college freshman next year, and I am looking to get a bigger bike before the school year starts. I plan on training heavily and racing for my team in college... I am a very dedicated rider, and I train a lot.

I currently ride a Trek 2300, '05, 50 cm. I am a very small guy, 5'3", 112 lbs., and I like to climb. I'm looking for a really light, climbing bike for my next ride (my current Trek weights 18.8 lbs, a lot for such a small size).

I guess my concern is that I hear there are a lot of crashes in college, and a nice bike could quickly go to waste. Also, I don't want to walk on the team with a nice bike, getting a ton of envious stares and scornful attitudes thrown at me. I've tried to convince myself to look at super-light carbon frames like Giant TCR Composite, or the Specialized E5 (aluminum), but I just can't get myself to like the looks of it. I really like the look of simple, bare, round-tube titanium (like Moots, Seven, Merlin).

Still, I am looking for a really light bike, good for climbing and racing first and foremost...does it still make more sense to get a cheaper, carbon bike like the Giant TCR Composite for someone in my position? Should I be putting function over form as my first priority? I know the Giant is lighter and cheaper vs. the Ti frames I like (seven, Moots), but the look is just...ugh. What are your opinions?

Thanks.

cshong88 said:
Still, I am looking for a really light bike, good for climbing and racing first and foremost...does it still make more sense to get a cheaper, carbon bike like the Giant TCR Composite for someone in my position? Should I be putting function over form as my first priority? I know the Giant is lighter and cheaper vs. the Ti frames I like (seven, Moots), but the look is just...ugh. What are your opinions?
There are plenty of aluminum frames that are light and stiff for climbing. They're also a lot cheaper than carbon and Ti if you're worried about crashing.

artmichalek said:
There are plenty of aluminum frames that are light and stiff for climbing. They're also a lot cheaper than carbon and Ti if you're worried about crashing.
true, true - or you could look into a pre-owned bike for a fraction of the cost. There seems to be a fair amount of "high end" bikes in the seldom used catagory that are for sale.

I went Ti because I seem to tear my stuff up no matter how hard I try to take care it. Ti has been a good answer for me, no rust, has been dent resistant (even with a few crashes), etc. over the past 5 years, and it came with a Lifetime warrenty - so if I ever do break it, it's all good. Not too much carbon or Al out there with that kind of backing.

if you are dead set on Ti and can't belly up for a new Litespeed or other "premium brand" Airborne has come a long way, and there is Dean - I've heard good things about them...

HR

Hookyrider said:
if you are dead set on Ti and can't belly up for a new Litespeed or other "premium brand" Airborne has come a long way, and there is Dean - I've heard good things about them...
I have a TST which is pretty solid, but at around 1500g for a 56cm it's not ultra light. Keep in mind that most warranties won't fully cover crash damage. Especially if it happens in a race.

artmichalek said:
Keep in mind that most warranties won't fully cover crash damage. Especially if it happens in a race.
It never happens in a race... I was Just Riding Along and whamo... :)

Hookyrider said:
It never happens in a race... I was Just Riding Along and whamo... :)
Just be sure to buff out that parking meter imprint before shipping the frame back. ;)

cshong88 vbmenu_register("postmenu_2367500", true); - no matter what you end up with, just be sure you love it. No sense in buying a poorly fitted bike, or one you don't have any passion for.

Are you planning to race Crits or regular road races?

HR

artmichalek said:
I have a TST which is pretty solid, but at around 1500g for a 56cm it's not ultra light. Keep in mind that most warranties won't fully cover crash damage. Especially if it happens in a race.

Ahhhh TST , could be good for this college rider ! Go to : www.cambriabike.com , I'm fairly positive they still have TST frames(should have smaller sizes) for $400-500 range !!! If I were you(your size/weight) , this is the frame I'd seriously be thinking about- its not flashy(so other college riders wont look at it - and start getting ideas caught in there brain synapses :) ). Match this frame with a good carbon fork(I'd recommend something straight bladed - ie. LOOK , Time club , Colnago(even Colnago steel ), etc.

If your racing Crits ....... then yes, there will be opportunity for you to take a spill in a race(thats why its best to be at the front of the pack- to avoid this messy situation :eek: ) , but if your doing road races - there shouldn't be much to worry about. A Ti. frame will also be very comfortable, and given your size/weight .......... having something super high quality is nice(ie. Seven, Moots, Colnago, Merlin, Serota, etc.) .... however most of those frames are $1500+ retail ... nice if you have the money. A 50cm frame is just as strong as a 59cm , its all a matter of proper fit ! ;)

Hope this helps .... BTW , what college are you going to ?