A Number of Questions RE: Mavic Components

Appkiller

Guest
Greetings -

1. The Mavic hubs (8 speed) have a red plastic band around the non-drive side of the rear hub on
which "Mavic" and possibly "571/2" can be read.

- Is there an online source for info re these hubs, i.e., a manual or other tech info?

- Do these have cartridge or loose bearings?

- If cartridge, are they serviceable? If loose, what size?

- Exactly how does one get inside these? They seem to have a number of holes for some sort of pin
spanner on the "cups".

2. The headset (Mavic) has a rather tallish stack and has a black band around the top and the bottom
cup exterior is mostly black.

- Does it have cartridge or loose bearings? If loose, what size?

- If cartridge, are they serviceable?

- Any tricks or special tools to crack this puppy?

Thanks,

App

Pete-<< Do these have cartridge or loose bearings?
>><BR><BR>
Cart bearings in the rear hub. They come apart in a variety of ways depending on the year. You need
a Mavic plastric pin spanner like the ones that come on modern Mavic wheels or use a red or green
Park pin spanner to get that cap off. That should take the left side axle off, then the freehub body
comes off.

Headsets are caged loose bearings. Loosen the 2mm set screw and unscrew-5/32 size, almost sure.

Appkiller wrote:
> 1. The Mavic hubs (8 speed) have a red plastic band around the non-drive side of the rear hub on
> which "Mavic" and possibly "571/2" can be read.
>
> - Is there an online source for info re these hubs, i.e., a manual or other tech info?
-snip-

Try this: http://www.yellowjersey.org/mavic571.html

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:10:18 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Appkiller wrote:
>> 1. The Mavic hubs (8 speed) have a red plastic band around the non-drive side of the rear hub on
>> which "Mavic" and possibly "571/2" can be read.
>>
>> - Is there an online source for info re these hubs, i.e., a manual or other tech info?
>-snip-
>
>Try this: http://www.yellowjersey.org/mavic571.html

Wow! Is A. Muzi short for A. Mazing? I'm impressed!

You don't happen to have similar info for a later version from Mavic, the 571/2, do you?

another helpful soul wrote:
> Try this: http://www.yellowjersey.org/mavic571.html

Thanks, Andy and Peter. Last night as part III of the rebuild of my brother's Serotta I attacked the
Campy Delta brakes. Yowza, now there's a beautifully designed and manufactured component (if a
little heavy)! Upon disassembling the rear, I noted one of the circlips (?) on a linkage pivot pin
was missing.

Anyone know the size and/or a source for these things?

Thanks again for all your help -

App

dianne_1234 wrote:

> You don't happen to have similar info for a later version from Mavic, the 571/2, do you?

Sorry all the rabbits are out if the hat now.

Appkiller wrote:

> another helpful soul wrote:
>
>>Try this: http://www.yellowjersey.org/mavic571.html
>

> Thanks, Andy and Peter. Last night as part III of the rebuild of my brother's Serotta I attacked
> the Campy Delta brakes. Yowza, now there's a beautifully designed and manufactured component (if a
> little heavy)! Upon disassembling the rear, I noted one of the circlips (?) on a linkage pivot pin
> was missing.

I don't know the exact size but they are readily available at any neighborhood hardware store. It's
called an E-clip and IIRC the Delta uses a standard Campagnolo size but I can't recall if it matches
the GranSport Q/R lever or the Record front changer body. It is definitely one of those and usually
ten for a dollar.

"Nil tam difficile quin quaerendo investigari possiet." - Terence
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 07:11:39 -0600, dianne_1234
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:10:18 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> - Is there an online source for info re these hubs, i.e., a manual or other tech info?
>>-snip-
>>
>>Try this: http://www.yellowjersey.org/mavic571.html

>You don't happen to have similar info for a later version from Mavic, the 571/2, do you?

Here's the exploded view schematic for the 571/2. Service is essentially the same as recited in the
prior generation's instructions for the 571 provided by Andy M.

http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/mavic571slash2.jpg
-------------------------------
John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida Now in our twenty-first year. Our catalogue of track
equipment: eighth year online. http://www.businesscycles.com

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:17:03 -0500, John Dacey
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Nil tam difficile quin quaerendo investigari possiet." - Terence On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 07:11:39 -
>0600, dianne_1234 <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>-snip-
>>>
>>>Try this: http://www.yellowjersey.org/mavic571.html
>
>>You don't happen to have similar info for a later version from Mavic, the 571/2, do you?
>
>Here's the exploded view schematic for the 571/2. Service is essentially the same as recited in the
>prior generation's instructions for the 571 provided by Andy M.
>
>http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/mavic571slash2.jpg
>John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida Now in our twenty-first year. Our catalogue of track
>equipment: eighth year online. http://www.businesscycles.com

Wow, the internet is a great thing. And the bike tech enthusiasts are too!