A one legged cyclist....

Jock

Guest
The other weekend (Sun N) I was driving down the Pacific Hwy Turramurra
after dusk, say 6.15 pmish, and there was this bloke charging down the L
lane at around 55-60k's + and there was something that stuck out or rather,
didn't. He was sans his right leg. This fella had a jersey, sort of
Olympic / Aussie colours on and was magnetically adhering to his saddle
somehow.
My point is that here is a bloke with one leg doing better than most
completely legged folk and the traffic was staying away from him like the
plague. Perhaps we all need a disability so we can get some space from cars
& stuff - not to the extent of a limb though.
One thing made me wonder how he lost a leg though. Not a reflector on his
bike, not a blinky rear or front and he was not trying to be visible. Was
he feeling as though it could be no worse???
If he reads this or if anybody knows him, I want to let him know he's gotta
light up - not all people see too well and he may not want to be racing in a
wheelchair as a result of not being seen.
Well done to be so fast on only one leg all the same. Very ballsy.
Jock

I remember seeing (on TV) an Aussie guy in the Paralympics like that, maybe it
was him (which would explain his super-fitness). Good on him -- I know he is
much faster than me!

Jock wrote:
> The other weekend (Sun N) I was driving down the Pacific Hwy Turramurra
> after dusk, say 6.15 pmish, and there was this bloke charging down the L
> lane at around 55-60k's + and there was something that stuck out or rather,
> didn't. He was sans his right leg. This fella had a jersey, sort of
> Olympic / Aussie colours on and was magnetically adhering to his saddle
> somehow.
> My point is that here is a bloke with one leg doing better than most
> completely legged folk and the traffic was staying away from him like the
> plague. Perhaps we all need a disability so we can get some space from cars
> & stuff - not to the extent of a limb though.
> One thing made me wonder how he lost a leg though. Not a reflector on his
> bike, not a blinky rear or front and he was not trying to be visible. Was
> he feeling as though it could be no worse???
> If he reads this or if anybody knows him, I want to let him know he's gotta
> light up - not all people see too well and he may not want to be racing in a
> wheelchair as a result of not being seen.
> Well done to be so fast on only one leg all the same. Very ballsy.
> Jock

I see a one-legged guy at my club regularly - could be the same guy.
What's really awe inspiring is that this guy rides in C grade.

I don't know how you'd even stop or start with only one leg.

&roo
(D grade!)

Yeah, its possible, I once fell on an offroad track at 50km/h at night
(not form viability, i have a 50 watt light) , it was coz my wheel was
out of true, but couldnt afford to get it fixed) and i cut myself up
through my jacket and shirt really badly. i couldnt walk caus emy hip
really hurt, and 1 of my legs was badly injured, i had to cycle 5 km
up a really steep incline with 1 foot :( it hurt :(

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 00:54:33 GMT, "Jock"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The other weekend (Sun N) I was driving down the Pacific Hwy Turramurra
>after dusk, say 6.15 pmish, and there was this bloke charging down the L
>lane at around 55-60k's + and there was something that stuck out or rather,
>didn't. He was sans his right leg. This fella had a jersey, sort of
>Olympic / Aussie colours on and was magnetically adhering to his saddle
>somehow.
>My point is that here is a bloke with one leg doing better than most
>completely legged folk and the traffic was staying away from him like the
>plague. Perhaps we all need a disability so we can get some space from cars
>& stuff - not to the extent of a limb though.
>One thing made me wonder how he lost a leg though. Not a reflector on his
>bike, not a blinky rear or front and he was not trying to be visible. Was
>he feeling as though it could be no worse???
>If he reads this or if anybody knows him, I want to let him know he's gotta
>light up - not all people see too well and he may not want to be racing in a
>wheelchair as a result of not being seen.
>Well done to be so fast on only one leg all the same. Very ballsy.
>Jock

"Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
<...>
> I see a one-legged guy at my club regularly - could be the same guy.
> What's really awe inspiring is that this guy rides in C grade.
>
> I don't know how you'd even stop or start with only one leg.

I bet he makes all the racing weight weenies jealous!

Just think, he's carrying at least 10kgs less than the rest of the
competitors ;-)

Tim

Tim Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> <...>
> > I see a one-legged guy at my club regularly - could be the same guy.
> > What's really awe inspiring is that this guy rides in C grade.
> >
> > I don't know how you'd even stop or start with only one leg.
> >

> I bet he makes all the racing weight weenies jealous!
>
> Just think, he's carrying at least 10kgs less than the rest of the
> competitors ;-)

Perhaps he could lop off a few more unnecessary bits to make himself even
lighter!
---
DFM

Taking piccies at teh mont 24hr race, I was amazed to see a bloke riding the
last bit of track before the finish line, using only one leg. Thought that
he must have been taking a break, as he was still keeping up with the other
riders.

Then I saw his leg, and it looked rather mangled, and was just hanging
limply. Hope he wasn't too hurt, nor did it too early on in the lap, cause
seven k's one legged would not be fun.

Andrew Swan wrote:
> I see a one-legged guy at my club regularly - could be the same guy.
> What's really awe inspiring is that this guy rides in C grade.
> &roo (D grade!)

His name is Noel, and he also races track (D grade open), which seems
much harder.

The reason he keeps up with C grade is becuase he trains hard, always at
the North Rd bunch and always at the track and crits over summer.

There was another guy whose name I cant; remeber who used to race B
grade.