A picture of the dinner I ate tonight

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by modom, Feb 14, 2006.

  1. modom

    modom Guest

    http://i1.tinypic.com/nv5au9.jpg

    Green peas, baked brussels sprouts, and roast turkey breast. The
    turkey was roasted with lemon slices and sage pushed under the skin
    and served with (mostly) caramelized onions and red bell pepper. D
    cooked. I ate and took the snapshot. The turkey was very juicy, but
    I'm afraid that is not apparent in the photo.

    modom

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    modom <[email protected]> wrote:

    > http://i1.tinypic.com/nv5au9.jpg
    >
    > Green peas, baked brussels sprouts, and roast turkey breast. The
    > turkey was roasted with lemon slices and sage pushed under the skin
    > and served with (mostly) caramelized onions and red bell pepper. D
    > cooked. I ate and took the snapshot. The turkey was very juicy, but
    > I'm afraid that is not apparent in the photo.
    >
    > modom

    It's hard to display "juicieness" in a pic IMHO. ;-)

    Looks good! I've never topped poultry with carmelized onions, good idea!
    --
    Peace, Om.

  3. modom wrote:
    > http://i1.tinypic.com/nv5au9.jpg
    >
    > Green peas, baked brussels sprouts, and roast turkey breast. The
    > turkey was roasted with lemon slices and sage pushed under the skin
    > and served with (mostly) caramelized onions and red bell pepper. D
    > cooked. I ate and took the snapshot. The turkey was very juicy, but
    > I'm afraid that is not apparent in the photo.
    >
    > modom

    Looks very yummy and I didn't see my invitation to dinner while
    checking e-mail. Ummm, you can my portion of brussel sprouts.

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    modom <[email protected]> wrote:

    > http://i1.tinypic.com/nv5au9.jpg
    >
    > Green peas, baked brussels sprouts, and roast turkey breast. The
    > turkey was roasted with lemon slices and sage pushed under the skin
    > and served with (mostly) caramelized onions and red bell pepper. D
    > cooked. I ate and took the snapshot. The turkey was very juicy, but
    > I'm afraid that is not apparent in the photo.
    >
    > modom

    Baked brussels sprouts, eh? How'd you do that? Oil 'em? I love
    brussels sprouts -- had some last week. I just boil them, though.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

  5. Melba's Jammin' wrote on 14 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > Baked brussels sprouts, eh? How'd you do that? Oil 'em? I love
    > brussels sprouts -- had some last week. I just boil them, though.
    > --
    > http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

    Try par boiling them then finish them in a fry pan ...use half butter and
    half canola or olive oil. Excellent!

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

  6. modom

    modom Guest

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:03:37 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > modom <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> http://i1.tinypic.com/nv5au9.jpg
    >>
    >> Green peas, baked brussels sprouts, and roast turkey breast. The
    >> turkey was roasted with lemon slices and sage pushed under the skin
    >> and served with (mostly) caramelized onions and red bell pepper. D
    >> cooked. I ate and took the snapshot. The turkey was very juicy, but
    >> I'm afraid that is not apparent in the photo.

    >Baked brussels sprouts, eh? How'd you do that? Oil 'em? I love
    >brussels sprouts -- had some last week. I just boil them, though.

    I asked D and she apparently did it by looking tonight. She had them
    in the oven at 325 with the bird breast, but she doesn't remember how
    long. I'd guess about 25 minutes or so. When the turkey was done,
    she jacked the heat to 400 to get some color on them. She also said
    she likes them with a lot of Dijon mustard on them. Olive oil, too.

    In the past, I've done them in the microwave till they were warm and
    beginning to cook on the outside, them popped them in a 375 oven for
    about 20 minutes till they begin to brown on the outside. Before
    cooking I usually smear them with Dijon mustard, olive oil and lemon
    juice. S&P, too.

    modom

  7. On Tue 14 Feb 2006 08:03:37p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
    Jammin'?

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > modom <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> http://i1.tinypic.com/nv5au9.jpg
    >>
    >> Green peas, baked brussels sprouts, and roast turkey breast. The
    >> turkey was roasted with lemon slices and sage pushed under the skin
    >> and served with (mostly) caramelized onions and red bell pepper. D
    >> cooked. I ate and took the snapshot. The turkey was very juicy, but
    >> I'm afraid that is not apparent in the photo.
    >>
    >> modom

    > Baked brussels sprouts, eh? How'd you do that? Oil 'em? I love
    > brussels sprouts -- had some last week. I just boil them, though.

    I've been roasting them this way for a couple of years now. I usually toss
    in olive oil, seasonings of choice, and a bit of salt. Roast in single
    layer in a 400 degree oven until tinged with brown, aobut 25-30 minutes.
    Turn a couple of times while roasting if you think of it.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  8. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > modom <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> http://i1.tinypic.com/nv5au9.jpg
    >>
    >> Green peas, baked brussels sprouts, and roast turkey breast. The
    >> turkey was roasted with lemon slices and sage pushed under the skin
    >> and served with (mostly) caramelized onions and red bell pepper. D
    >> cooked. I ate and took the snapshot. The turkey was very juicy, but
    >> I'm afraid that is not apparent in the photo.
    >>
    >> modom

    The turkey shows it's juiciness to me.

    PS -- Everytime I have something baking in the oven, I make sure I put a
    vegetable in a ceramic-type pan with a little water or mixed with hands lots
    of olive oil and/or cover with aluminum foil or not, or even on a rack,
    depending on the vegetable.
    Beets, especially! When I bake potatoes, I usually bake beets at the same
    time.

    Thanks for the pictures. It's encouraging to see others' meals. I should
    take more pictures of my dinners, too.
    Dee Dee

  9. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue 14 Feb 2006 08:03:37p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
    > Jammin'?
    >
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> modom <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://i1.tinypic.com/nv5au9.jpg
    >>>
    >>> Green peas, baked brussels sprouts, and roast turkey breast. The
    >>> turkey was roasted with lemon slices and sage pushed under the skin
    >>> and served with (mostly) caramelized onions and red bell pepper. D
    >>> cooked. I ate and took the snapshot. The turkey was very juicy, but
    >>> I'm afraid that is not apparent in the photo.
    >>>
    >>> modom

    >> Baked brussels sprouts, eh? How'd you do that? Oil 'em? I love
    >> brussels sprouts -- had some last week. I just boil them, though.

    > I've been roasting them this way for a couple of years now. I usually
    > toss
    > in olive oil, seasonings of choice, and a bit of salt. Roast in single
    > layer in a 400 degree oven until tinged with brown, aobut 25-30 minutes.
    > Turn a couple of times while roasting if you think of it.
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    Same way for asparagus. Or even turn on the broiler. Yum.
    Dee Dee

  10. On Tue 14 Feb 2006 08:51:24p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On Tue 14 Feb 2006 08:03:37p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
    >> Jammin'?

    >>> Baked brussels sprouts, eh? How'd you do that? Oil 'em? I love
    >>> brussels sprouts -- had some last week. I just boil them, though.

    >> I've been roasting them this way for a couple of years now. I usually
    >> toss in olive oil, seasonings of choice, and a bit of salt. Roast in
    >> single layer in a 400 degree oven until tinged with brown, aobut 25-30
    >> minutes. Turn a couple of times while roasting if you think of it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    > Same way for asparagus. Or even turn on the broiler. Yum.
    > Dee Dee

    Glad you reminded me! I've roasated or grilled it a few times, and have
    just bought some really nice asparagus at 99¢/lb. I bought five pounds!
    Have to take advantage of the "Spring" prices. I won't usually but it at
    $3.99 or $4.99/lb.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  11. modom <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > http://i1.tinypic.com/nv5au9.jpg
    >
    > Green peas, baked brussels sprouts, and roast turkey breast. The
    > turkey was roasted with lemon slices and sage pushed under the skin
    > and served with (mostly) caramelized onions and red bell pepper. D
    > cooked. I ate and took the snapshot. The turkey was very juicy, but
    > I'm afraid that is not apparent in the photo.
    >
    > modom

    Looks very tasty. The onions and bell pepper look terrific on the turkey.

    Michael

    --
    “It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
    _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

  12. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Beets, especially! When I bake potatoes, I usually bake beets at the same
    > time.
    >
    > Thanks for the pictures. It's encouraging to see others' meals. I should
    > take more pictures of my dinners, too.

    Especially the beets!

    :)

    --