A Pleasant Helmet Debate

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Stephen Harding, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Was riding my bike through downtown Northampton late last week from work and stopped at a light at
    the main intersection of town. While waiting for the light to turn green, a woman walked up to the
    street corner and after looking me over a bit, spoke.

    "I admire your spunk, riding in weather like this!". I replied it really wasn't a big deal. It was
    actually about mid-30's and anything above 20 is pretty good for this winter.

    "We need more people like you riding bikes to help with the pollution problem." "Indeed yes"
    I replied.

    "But you're not wearing a helmet". "No I don't really take to them. I think they're over-sold for
    safety". I have become deadened towards helmet scoldings. Just about every organized ride I've ever
    done over the past 5-7 years has had someone ride up alongside of me and critique my sanity by not
    wearing a helmet. Sometimes it's a very righteous warning, sometimes downright rude.

    "My life was saved by a helmet once", she declared. I replied that most everyone I know who wears a
    helmet has had their life spared by its use.

    She smiled slowly, looking almost amused at what I'd said. The light changed to green. Time to
    continue on. "Well have a pleasant ride home. Keep up the good work!"

    "Thanks!" A nice lady and about the most pleasant and brief helmet debate I've ever engaged in. I
    don't think much more needed to be said by either of us, and I certainly parted feeling a little
    better from her pleasant remarks and manner in stating them.

    SMH

    Tags:

  2. Peter Keller

    Peter Keller Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:18:28 -0500, Stephen Harding wrote:

    > Was riding my bike through downtown Northampton late last week from work and stopped at a light at
    > the main intersection of town. While waiting for the light to turn green, a woman walked up to the
    > street corner and after looking me over a bit, spoke.
    >
    > "I admire your spunk, riding in weather like this!". I replied it really wasn't a big deal. It was
    > actually about mid-30's and anything above 20 is pretty good for this winter.
    >
    > "We need more people like you riding bikes to help with the pollution problem." "Indeed yes" I
    > replied.
    >
    > "But you're not wearing a helmet". "No I don't really take to them. I think they're over-sold for
    > safety". I have become deadened towards helmet scoldings. Just about every organized ride I've
    > ever done over the past 5-7 years has had someone ride up alongside of me and critique my sanity
    > by not wearing a helmet. Sometimes it's a very righteous warning, sometimes downright rude.
    >
    > "My life was saved by a helmet once", she declared. I replied that most everyone I know who wears
    > a helmet has had their life spared by its use.
    >
    > She smiled slowly, looking almost amused at what I'd said. The light changed to green. Time to
    > continue on. "Well have a pleasant ride home. Keep up the good work!"
    >
    > "Thanks!" A nice lady and about the most pleasant and brief helmet debate I've ever engaged in. I
    > don't think much more needed to be said by either of us, and I certainly parted feeling a little
    > better from her pleasant remarks and manner in stating them.
    >

    > SMH

    I wish you luck trying to keep this pleasant! Peter

    --
    This transmission is certified free of viruses as no Microsoft products were used in its preparation
    or propagation.

  3. My life was saved by my left arm.

    It cradled my skull when I went over the bars in a traffic crash. a h*lm*t might have done as well.
    I'm ambivalent.

    -Luigi

  4. Well, I doubt you'll get as sweet a responce here, LOL! In fact, I find it rather amazing how short
    this thread is!

    BTW, I don't ride anywhere without a helmet, But that's my choice.

    "May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  5. Tbone

    Tbone Guest

    i don't like helmets either, but i think if i don't wear one, that will be the pricise time that i
    would have needed it

    and my mom told me to wear it too

  6. Luigi de Guzman wrote:

    > My life was saved by my left arm.
    >
    > It cradled my skull when I went over the bars in a traffic crash. a h*lm*t might have done as
    > well. I'm ambivalent.

    Perhaps a couple more left arms might be useful then?

    SMH

  7. In <[email protected]>,
    "tbone" <[email protected]> opined:

    > i don't like helmets either, but i think if i don't wear one, that will be the pricise time that i
    > would have needed it

    A few years either side of '90, I owned a helmet only because you couldn't do organized
    rides without one. I didn't wear it much unless I had to - it felt heavy and hot and I was
    immortal anyway.

    ;-)

    But for a couple of years running, every second time I put it on to JRA I had an accident, whereas I
    -never- did without it.

    It must have been a curse upon that particular helmet though. I've now owned three more helmets, and
    worn them a lot, and I've only had one accident.

    Coincidence?

    --
    Dave Salovesh [email protected] (REPLACE example WITH mindspring TO EMAIL ME)

  8. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    > My life was saved by my left arm.
    >
    > It cradled my skull when I went over the bars in a traffic crash. a h*lm*t might have done as
    > well. I'm ambivalent.

    If you were ambidextrous, you could save TWO heads next time.

    Bill "little if any meaning" S.

  9. Peter Keller

    Peter Keller Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:41:18 +0000, S o r n i wrote:

    > Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    >> My life was saved by my left arm.
    >>
    >> It cradled my skull when I went over the bars in a traffic crash. a h*lm*t might have done as
    >> well. I'm ambivalent.
    >
    > If you were ambidextrous, you could save TWO heads next time.
    >
    > Bill "little if any meaning" S.

    Would that make him ambicephalous?

    Peter
    --
    This transmission is certified free of viruses as no Microsoft products were used in its preparation
    or propagation.

  10. On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:41:18 GMT, "S o r n i"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    >> My life was saved by my left arm.
    >>
    >> It cradled my skull when I went over the bars in a traffic crash. a h*lm*t might have done as
    >> well. I'm ambivalent.
    >
    >If you were ambidextrous, you could save TWO heads next time.

    My life was saved by my LEFT arm. with two of *those,* I'd be bisinistral.

    =-Luigi
    www.livejournal.com/users/ouij Photos, Rants, Raves

  11. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:49:25 -0500, Luigi de Guzman
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    ><[email protected]te-me.san.rr.com> wrote:
    >>If you were ambidextrous, you could save TWO heads next time.
    >
    >My life was saved by my LEFT arm. with two of *those,* I'd be bisinistral.

    Was Zaphod Beeblebrox's extra arm on the left, or the right? And how about the extra head?

    Guy? You listening?
    --
    Rick Onanian

  12. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    Dave Salovesh <[email protected]> wrote:

    > But for a couple of years running, every second time I put it on to JRA I had an accident, whereas
    > I -never- did without it.
    >
    > It must have been a curse upon that particular helmet though.

    Perhaps you were wearing that helmet backwards, making you dangerously unstable aerodynamically. ;-D

    The remedy would be to ditch the helmet and wear a tall Mohawk, stiffly molded with gelatin into an
    effective vertical stabilizer. That way folks will know you are a serious cyclist at a glance.

    Chalo Colina

  13. Peter Keller

    Peter Keller Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:59:12 -0800, Chalo wrote:

    > Dave Salovesh <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> But for a couple of years running, every second time I put it on to JRA I had an accident,
    >> whereas I -never- did without it.
    >>
    >> It must have been a curse upon that particular helmet though.
    >
    > Perhaps you were wearing that helmet backwards, making you dangerously unstable
    > aerodynamically. ;-D
    >
    > The remedy would be to ditch the helmet and wear a tall Mohawk, stiffly molded with gelatin into
    > an effective vertical stabilizer. That way folks will know you are a serious cyclist at a glance.
    >
    > Chalo Colina

    Much of the ineffectiveness of helmets may be due to their not being worn correctly. When worn
    correctly, there should be no more than 3cm of forwards-backwards movement of the helmet on the
    skull, when pushed. This necessitates doing up the chin-strap very tightly. A bicyclist so equipped
    can bask in the glory that he is doing everything correctly for his safety. However, s/he won't be
    able to swallow, and will barely be able to breathe. These problems can be simply overcome by the
    use of a portable heart-lung machine towed behind the bicycle for breathing purposes, and an
    intravenous infusion strapped to the handlebars for nourishment purposes. All very simple, really. A
    somewhat less cumbersome solution would be for all bicyclists to be required to have threaded posts
    implanted into their skulls, onto which helmets can be bolted firmly. Peter.