A Pleasant Helmet Debate

Stephen Harding

Guest
Was riding my bike through downtown Northampton late last week from work and stopped at a light at
the main intersection of town. While waiting for the light to turn green, a woman walked up to the
street corner and after looking me over a bit, spoke.

"I admire your *****, riding in weather like this!". I replied it really wasn't a big deal. It was
actually about mid-30's and anything above 20 is pretty good for this winter.

"We need more people like you riding bikes to help with the pollution problem." "Indeed yes"
I replied.

"But you're not wearing a helmet". "No I don't really take to them. I think they're over-sold for
safety". I have become deadened towards helmet scoldings. Just about every organized ride I've ever
done over the past 5-7 years has had someone ride up alongside of me and critique my sanity by not
wearing a helmet. Sometimes it's a very righteous warning, sometimes downright rude.

"My life was saved by a helmet once", she declared. I replied that most everyone I know who wears a
helmet has had their life spared by its use.

She smiled slowly, looking almost amused at what I'd said. The light changed to green. Time to
continue on. "Well have a pleasant ride home. Keep up the good work!"

"Thanks!" A nice lady and about the most pleasant and brief helmet debate I've ever engaged in. I
don't think much more needed to be said by either of us, and I certainly parted feeling a little
better from her pleasant remarks and manner in stating them.

SMH

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:18:28 -0500, Stephen Harding wrote:

> Was riding my bike through downtown Northampton late last week from work and stopped at a light at
> the main intersection of town. While waiting for the light to turn green, a woman walked up to the
> street corner and after looking me over a bit, spoke.
>
> "I admire your *****, riding in weather like this!". I replied it really wasn't a big deal. It was
> actually about mid-30's and anything above 20 is pretty good for this winter.
>
> "We need more people like you riding bikes to help with the pollution problem." "Indeed yes" I
> replied.
>
> "But you're not wearing a helmet". "No I don't really take to them. I think they're over-sold for
> safety". I have become deadened towards helmet scoldings. Just about every organized ride I've
> ever done over the past 5-7 years has had someone ride up alongside of me and critique my sanity
> by not wearing a helmet. Sometimes it's a very righteous warning, sometimes downright rude.
>
> "My life was saved by a helmet once", she declared. I replied that most everyone I know who wears
> a helmet has had their life spared by its use.
>
> She smiled slowly, looking almost amused at what I'd said. The light changed to green. Time to
> continue on. "Well have a pleasant ride home. Keep up the good work!"
>
> "Thanks!" A nice lady and about the most pleasant and brief helmet debate I've ever engaged in. I
> don't think much more needed to be said by either of us, and I certainly parted feeling a little
> better from her pleasant remarks and manner in stating them.
>

> SMH

I wish you luck trying to keep this pleasant! Peter

--
This transmission is certified free of viruses as no Microsoft products were used in its preparation
or propagation.

My life was saved by my left arm.

It cradled my skull when I went over the bars in a traffic crash. a h*lm*t might have done as well.
I'm ambivalent.

-Luigi

Well, I doubt you'll get as sweet a responce here, LOL! In fact, I find it rather amazing how short
this thread is!

BTW, I don't ride anywhere without a helmet, But that's my choice.

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

i don't like helmets either, but i think if i don't wear one, that will be the pricise time that i
would have needed it

and my mom told me to wear it too

Luigi de Guzman wrote:

> My life was saved by my left arm.
>
> It cradled my skull when I went over the bars in a traffic crash. a h*lm*t might have done as
> well. I'm ambivalent.

Perhaps a couple more left arms might be useful then?

SMH

In <[email protected]>,
"tbone" <[email protected]> opined:

> i don't like helmets either, but i think if i don't wear one, that will be the pricise time that i
> would have needed it

A few years either side of '90, I owned a helmet only because you couldn't do organized
rides without one. I didn't wear it much unless I had to - it felt heavy and hot and I was
immortal anyway.

;-)

But for a couple of years running, every second time I put it on to JRA I had an accident, whereas I
-never- did without it.

It must have been a curse upon that particular helmet though. I've now owned three more helmets, and
worn them a lot, and I've only had one accident.

Coincidence?

--
Dave Salovesh [email protected] (REPLACE example WITH mindspring TO EMAIL ME)

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
> My life was saved by my left arm.
>
> It cradled my skull when I went over the bars in a traffic crash. a h*lm*t might have done as
> well. I'm ambivalent.

If you were ambidextrous, you could save TWO heads next time.

Bill "little if any meaning" S.

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:41:18 +0000, S o r n i wrote:

> Luigi de Guzman wrote:
>> My life was saved by my left arm.
>>
>> It cradled my skull when I went over the bars in a traffic crash. a h*lm*t might have done as
>> well. I'm ambivalent.
>
> If you were ambidextrous, you could save TWO heads next time.
>
> Bill "little if any meaning" S.

Would that make him ambicephalous?

Peter
--
This transmission is certified free of viruses as no Microsoft products were used in its preparation
or propagation.

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:41:18 GMT, "S o r n i"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Luigi de Guzman wrote:
>> My life was saved by my left arm.
>>
>> It cradled my skull when I went over the bars in a traffic crash. a h*lm*t might have done as
>> well. I'm ambivalent.
>
>If you were ambidextrous, you could save TWO heads next time.

My life was saved by my LEFT arm. with two of *those,* I'd be bisinistral.

=-Luigi
www.livejournal.com/users/ouij Photos, Rants, Raves

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:49:25 -0500, Luigi de Guzman
<[email protected]> wrote:
><[email protected]> wrote:
>>If you were ambidextrous, you could save TWO heads next time.
>
>My life was saved by my LEFT arm. with two of *those,* I'd be bisinistral.

Was Zaphod Beeblebrox's extra arm on the left, or the right? And how about the extra head?

Guy? You listening?
--
Rick Onanian

Dave Salovesh <[email protected]> wrote:

> But for a couple of years running, every second time I put it on to JRA I had an accident, whereas
> I -never- did without it.
>
> It must have been a curse upon that particular helmet though.

Perhaps you were wearing that helmet backwards, making you dangerously unstable aerodynamically. ;-D

The remedy would be to ditch the helmet and wear a tall Mohawk, stiffly molded with gelatin into an
effective vertical stabilizer. That way folks will know you are a serious cyclist at a glance.

Chalo Colina

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:59:12 -0800, Chalo wrote:

> Dave Salovesh <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> But for a couple of years running, every second time I put it on to JRA I had an accident,
>> whereas I -never- did without it.
>>
>> It must have been a curse upon that particular helmet though.
>
> Perhaps you were wearing that helmet backwards, making you dangerously unstable
> aerodynamically. ;-D
>
> The remedy would be to ditch the helmet and wear a tall Mohawk, stiffly molded with gelatin into
> an effective vertical stabilizer. That way folks will know you are a serious cyclist at a glance.
>
> Chalo Colina

Much of the ineffectiveness of helmets may be due to their not being worn correctly. When worn
correctly, there should be no more than 3cm of forwards-backwards movement of the helmet on the
skull, when pushed. This necessitates doing up the chin-strap very tightly. A bicyclist so equipped
can bask in the glory that he is doing everything correctly for his safety. However, s/he won't be
able to swallow, and will barely be able to breathe. These problems can be simply overcome by the
use of a portable heart-lung machine towed behind the bicycle for breathing purposes, and an
intravenous infusion strapped to the handlebars for nourishment purposes. All very simple, really. A
somewhat less cumbersome solution would be for all bicyclists to be required to have threaded posts
implanted into their skulls, onto which helmets can be bolted firmly. Peter.