A portent of things to come - paid attendance at pro cycling races...

tonyzackery

Dec 23, 2006
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/basque-official-suggests-fans-should-financially-support-races

My initial thoughts are that this is a good idea and can only be advantageous for pro cycling. Anything that can be done to assist in the funding of races can only be helpful considering the number of big races that have fell by the wayside, N. America in particular.

Locally, Vancouver's once 'Superweek' has been reduced to a shell of its former self, and if it required me as a spectator to pay a nominal fee to help organizers put an event on, I'd be a willing paying spectator. I can envision logistical nightmares in trying to ensure all spectators paid their fee, but those hurdles could be lowered with some forethought and diligence...

Clearly anything that brings money in to the sport should be welcomed.

However what would be the cost of trying to manage the recoupment of fees from spectators?

Wonder how if much money could be raised by just asking for voluntary contributions? Rather than worry about some kind of draconian limitation of access and enforcement, believe a lot of money could be raised by just taking donations from the fans. Lots of museums, gardens and free music events seem to do this with some success. Sure, some percentage of people will scoff at the idea of giving anything when they don't have to, but I think a lot of real fans would happily put some money in the till to keep their events alive.

I agree, you pay to see just about any other sport. Although as stated it would be hard to account for everyone, donations could work and would definately be better than nothing.