A priceless Liggett-ism

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Raptor, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Today's OLN Race Of The Week coverage, the Classica San Sebastian:

    "Here's where Basque separatists blew up our car in 1984, including Paul Sherwen's cd's, which was
    rather gratifying."

    Okay, I might have three of the words actually verbatim, but the gist is there and it made me LOL.

  2. John Rees

    John Rees Guest

    "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Today's OLN Race Of The Week coverage, the Classica San Sebastian:
    >
    > "Here's where Basque separatists blew up our car in 1984, including Paul Sherwen's cd's, which was
    > rather gratifying."
    >
    > Okay, I might have three of the words actually verbatim, but the gist is there and it made me LOL.

    How many people were listening to music with CD's in 1984? Isn't that too early? Weren't CD players
    new and still running like 1000 bucks in 1987/88?

  3. Gary K

    Gary K Guest

    John Rees <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Today's OLN Race Of The Week coverage, the Classica San Sebastian:
    > >
    > > "Here's where Basque separatists blew up our car in 1984, including Paul Sherwen's cd's, which
    > > was rather gratifying."
    > >
    > > Okay, I might have three of the words actually verbatim, but the gist is there and it made
    > > me LOL.
    >
    > How many people were listening to music with CD's in 1984? Isn't that too early? Weren't CD
    > players new and still running like 1000 bucks in 1987/88?

    I checked my HiFi's Amp I bought early 1985, yep it has a button for CD player. S'pose that counts..

  4. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "John Rees" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Today's OLN Race Of The Week coverage, the Classica San Sebastian:
    > >
    > > "Here's where Basque separatists blew up our car in 1984, including Paul Sherwen's cd's, which
    > > was rather gratifying."
    > >
    > > Okay, I might have three of the words actually verbatim, but the gist is there and it made
    > > me LOL.
    >
    > How many people were listening to music with CD's in 1984? Isn't that too early? Weren't CD
    > players new and still running like 1000 bucks in
    1987/88?

    Yup. The incident happened in San Sebastian on the night before the 1992 TDF prologue.

    Stan Cox

  5. Stan Cox schreef:

    > Yup. The incident happened in San Sebastian on the night before the 1992 TDF prologue.

    OK. probably a 80's eurotrash compilation confused Liggett.

  6. "John Rees" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Today's OLN Race Of The Week coverage, the Classica San Sebastian:
    > >
    > > "Here's where Basque separatists blew up our car in 1984, including Paul Sherwen's cd's, which
    > > was rather gratifying."
    > >
    > > Okay, I might have three of the words actually verbatim, but the gist is there and it made
    > > me LOL.
    >
    > How many people were listening to music with CD's in 1984? Isn't that too early? Weren't CD
    > players new and still running like 1000 bucks in
    1987/88?

    No.

    Got one for $200 in 1985. Remember it distinctly because it had a loop A to B feature which was very
    handy for trying to do a take down of a song by ear. Couldn't do that with a cassette.

  7. On 08/22/2003 08:37 AM, in article 3f462[email protected], "John Rees" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Today's OLN Race Of The Week coverage, the Classica San Sebastian:
    >>
    >> "Here's where Basque separatists blew up our car in 1984, including Paul Sherwen's cd's, which
    >> was rather gratifying."
    >>
    >> Okay, I might have three of the words actually verbatim, but the gist is there and it made
    >> me LOL.
    >
    > How many people were listening to music with CD's in 1984? Isn't that too early? Weren't CD
    > players new and still running like 1000 bucks in 1987/88?

    The incident in question took place at the 1992 Tour, which started in San Sebastien.

    dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

  8. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    > No.
    >
    > Got one for $200 in 1985. Remember it distinctly because it had a loop A
    > B feature which was very handy for trying to do a take down of a song by ear. Couldn't do that
    > with a cassette.

    I think you are wrong. I was always a big audiophile and I remember that the Sony CD offering was
    $700 in 1985. I had a friend that bought one and I scoffed at the time.

  9. "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > No.
    > >
    > > Got one for $200 in 1985. Remember it distinctly because it had a loop A
    > > B feature which was very handy for trying to do a take down of a song by ear. Couldn't do that
    > > with a cassette.
    >
    > I think you are wrong. I was always a big audiophile and I remember that
    the
    > Sony CD offering was $700 in 1985. I had a friend that bought one and I scoffed at the time.

    It was a cheap Technics unit. Being a college student making $3.50/hour at a part time job. There's
    no way it cost more than $250. My piano cost me $900 and I had to make payments on it for a year.

  10. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

    > Stan Cox schreef:
    >

    > > Yup. The incident happened in San Sebastian on the night before the 1992 TDF prologue.
    > >

    > OK. probably a 80's eurotrash compilation confused Liggett.

    I know plenty of people whose music collections should be blown up or buried in unused mines. I
    think we all know those people!

  11. Denis

    Denis Guest

    Raptor <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Today's OLN Race Of The Week coverage, the Classica San Sebastian:
    >
    > "Here's where Basque separatists blew up our car in 1984, including Paul Sherwen's cd's, which was
    > rather gratifying."
    >
    > Okay, I might have three of the words actually verbatim, but the gist is there and it made me LOL.
    >
    > --

    I heard him clearly say 1992 (not 1984). I like Liggett and his sayings, he is aging as we all are,
    but he is a nice guy with class in my opinion. Denis

  12. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
    > > Stan Cox schreef:
    > > > Yup. The incident happened in San Sebastian on the night before
    the 1992
    > > > TDF prologue.
    > > OK. probably a 80's eurotrash compilation confused Liggett.
    > I know plenty of people whose music collections should be blown up
    or
    > buried in unused mines. I think we all know those people!

    Count me in. I look back at my collection and wonder "What WAS I thinking?"

    Andreas Vollenvieder?

  13. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Kurgan Gringioni"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "John Rees" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > How many people were listening to music with CD's in 1984? Isn't that too early? Weren't CD
    > > players new and still running like 1000 bucks in
    > 1987/88?
    >

    > No.
    >
    > Got one for $200 in 1985. Remember it distinctly because it had a loop A to B feature which was
    > very handy for trying to do a take down of a song by ear. Couldn't do that with a cassette.

    There were features on some of the early ones that seemed kinda wierd back then that have long
    since vaporized from the market. A friend had a disc player that came with pitch control (an
    attenuator?) - twist a knob and you could speed up or slow down the disc. Curious.

    I held out on buying a disc player for a long time. Vinyl is king.

    --
    tanx, Howard

    "Better a lapdog for a slip of a girl than a ... git." Blackadder

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  14. Tom Kunich wrote:
    > "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > the 1992

    >>>OK. probably a 80's eurotrash compilation confused Liggett.
    >>
    >>I know plenty of people whose music collections should be blown up
    >
    > or
    >
    >>buried in unused mines. I think we all know those people!
    >

    > Count me in. I look back at my collection and wonder "What WAS I thinking?"
    >
    > Andreas Vollenvieder?

    It took a while for me to realize I should have invested more in Motown than some of the 80's Brit
    invasion stuff. :p

  15. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    ><snip>
    > >

    > It took a while for me to realize I should have invested more in Motown than some of the 80's Brit
    > invasion stuff. :p

    Some music hasnt dated at all, but eighties pop eeeeekkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!

    Stan Cox

  16. Bob Parker

    Bob Parker Guest

    [email protected] (Denis) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Raptor <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Today's OLN Race Of The Week coverage, the Classica San Sebastian:
    > >
    > > "Here's where Basque separatists blew up our car in 1984, including Paul Sherwen's cd's, which
    > > was rather gratifying."
    > >
    > > Okay, I might have three of the words actually verbatim, but the gist is there and it made
    > > me LOL.
    > >

    > I heard him clearly say 1992 (not 1984). I like Liggett and his sayings, he is aging as we all
    > are, but he is a nice guy with class in my opinion. Denis

    I remember Phil said he lost something of value, can't remember what, old TdF maps or something
    like that??

    Bob