A Proper Cadence Rate, Would 150 Be Okay?

pojiullu9l

May 1, 2015
Hello,

I was lucky to get an exercise bike and its wheeling experience differs from that of a real bicycle. So far there are only 8 speed rates on it. I usually choose 2nd and 3rd gradually reaching to 140-160 rpm. The speed on that rate differs from ~53 to ~65 km/h.

The question is, would ~150rpm be all right for your health? I feel no pain and there's no much effort to maintain that rate (I mean, I don't have much "pressure" on my knees as the chosen rates of 2-3 of 8 possible are quite easy for knees).

The answer probably depends on many things like how healthy a man is, how long he's usually riding on that rate, etc.

Any answer would be appreciated.

It's interesting that my cadence on the stationary bike tends to be lower than on the road. Cadence is highly individual, but there is a sweet spot where the power output and endurance are optimized. 150 is a VERY high cadence. On the road, my preferred cadence is 90 rpm and I can spin about 110 but faster than that and I would be bouncing all over the bike. Generally, higher cadences raise the heart rate but are easier on the legs.

If I were you I would increase the resistance to bring your cadence down to 90 to 100 and see how that feels. More resistance will build strength and endurance. Are you measuring your heart rate?

Reactions: pojiullu9l
Can't measure heart rate as its heart-rate monitor doesn't work. However, I can't say that my heart is pounding really hard on those rates. Of course, it might be so but I just don't feel uncomfortable (maybe I'm just too young/healthy to feel it atm).

Should better do as you say unless I'm 100% sure my heart's working fine on those high rates.

What to bouncing I experienced the same, but then managed to avoid it.

Thanks for replying. :)

PS I was afraid that there might be some limit to max rpm (so that going above the limit no matter what you feel you harm your knees).

In my opinion if you're hitting 140-150 then the load isn't high enough. Sure you might be doing a specific high cadence workout in which case this speed is fine although very high. I do most of my indoor training in the ranges 70 - 120 as prescribed by my training plan. Sometimes the plan will have me go all out for say 30 seconds where I might hit 150 for a few seconds.

Reactions: pojiullu9l