A proposal for the America beef industry

William A. Noye

Guest
With the discovery of Mad Cow disease in a cow from near the town of Mabton, Yakima county,
Washington State, this long predicted event has come to past. The impact will likely ripple through
the economy for months if not years.

Here is what needs to be done for next time.

There should be regions within the nation that don't permit the importation of live beef from other
areas. In order, to keep the beef free of BSE without much question. These regions would be the net
growers of beef. Indeed, it might also make sense to have these areas not import any killed beef
from other areas. This would be of benefit when Mad Cow rears its ugly head. That way the effected
regions and marketing systems would include areas smaller than the WHOLE nation. And only part of
the system would be held in doubt by the public. Such a structure would also help preserve
international markets.

With strict regional controls of beef growing, cattle movement, and meat marketing in place, Japan,
S. Korea, and Taiwan would only be rejecting beef from the State of Washington or perhaps from the
Pacific Northwest,. depending on the size of beef growth and market regions that I just proposed.

I suppose the areas that are largely none beef raising areas could be "free trade zones".

Now we are left with the question as to whether Mad Cow came from animal feed made in the last 6
years or did it come from contaminate ground?

What do you think? How would you limit the damage next time?

The status quo has a price........... .......................William A. Noyes

Main problem was downed cow meat getting into the system. A ban on this did not pass th house.
Obviously, due to lobbying by the meat industry. The greedy scumbag farmers deserve it.

"William A. Noyes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> With the discovery of Mad Cow disease in a cow from near the town of Mabton, Yakima county,
> Washington State, this long predicted event has come to past. The impact will likely ripple
> through the economy for months if not years.
>
> Here is what needs to be done for next time.
>
> There should be regions within the nation that don't permit the importation of live beef from
> other areas. In order, to keep the beef free of BSE without much question. These regions would be
> the net growers of beef. Indeed, it might also make sense to have these areas not import any
> killed beef from other areas. This would be of benefit when Mad Cow rears its ugly head. That way
> the effected regions and marketing systems would include areas smaller than the WHOLE nation. And
> only part of the system would be held in doubt by the public. Such a structure would also help
> preserve international markets.
>
> With strict regional controls of beef growing, cattle movement, and meat marketing in place,
> Japan, S. Korea, and Taiwan would only be rejecting beef from the State of Washington or perhaps
> from the Pacific Northwest,. depending on the size of beef growth and market regions that I just
> proposed.
>
> I suppose the areas that are largely none beef raising areas could be "free trade zones".
>
> Now we are left with the question as to whether Mad Cow came from animal feed made in the last 6
> years or did it come from contaminate ground?
>
> What do you think? How would you limit the damage next time?
>
> The status quo has a price........... .......................William A. Noyes

"William A. Noyes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> With the discovery of Mad Cow disease in a cow from near the town of Mabton, Yakima county,
> Washington State, this long predicted event has come to past. The impact will likely ripple
> through the economy for months if not years.

http://msnbc.msn.com/Default.aspx?id=3797510&p1=0

quote:
**************************
The Agriculture Department announced Tuesday that a so-called downed cow, meaning it was unable to
move on its own, had tested positive for the brain-wasting disease. The cow, which came from a farm
near Yakima, Wash., was slaughtered Dec. 9.

Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman said parts of the animal went to three processing plants in
Washington State. But she said there was no danger to the food supply because "muscle cuts of meat
have almost no risk."
**************************

I wonder how common it is, in the American beef industry, to allow a downed cow to go into the human
food supply? How many other downed American cows go into the human food supply on a regular basis?
Is this not a dangerous practice? If the animal is diseased and becomes a downed cow, it still goes
into the American food supply?!?

The cow that was found in Canada went into pet food. It was never even close to going into the human
food supply because it was a downed cow!!! And the Americans cast doubt on the Canadian beef
supply!!!! And shut its borders to Canadian beef on this basis!!!

I wil never eat American beef again!

TC

"tcomeau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

> Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman said parts of the animal went to three processing plants in
> Washington State. But she said there was no danger to the food supply because "muscle cuts of meat
> have almost no risk."
> **************************
>
> I wonder how common it is, in the American beef industry, to allow a downed cow to go into the
> human food supply? How many other downed American cows go into the human food supply on a regular
> basis? Is this not a dangerous practice? If the animal is diseased and becomes a downed cow, it
> still goes into the American food supply?!?
>
> The cow that was found in Canada went into pet food. It was never even close to going into the
> human food supply because it was a downed cow!!! And the Americans cast doubt on the Canadian beef
> supply!!!! And shut its borders to Canadian beef on this basis!!!

Pet food is still not a good place for it. All cats are subject to prion dieases. This could be the
native wasting disease found in both Canada and the lower 48 States. There is a very serious
concern about the various native wild cats getting it and dieing. Dogs, wolves, coyote are immune,
it is said. In theory, the spoon that serves the canned pet food would be a risk, depending on how
it is washed.

Then you will never eat ground beef again, TC, if you want to avoid American beef. Ground beef comes
from nearly everywhere.

Yes, the meat lobby is at fault. It didn't work for reasonable reforms when it had the chance.
Rather, big beef spent its time passing what might be called "anti-Oprah laws"; Washington State has
a "food libel laws" as I recall.

...................William A. Noyes

tcomeau wrote:

> I wil never eat American beef again!

You should eat less beef and more complex carbs anyway. lol

Come to think of it, if mad cow becomes a real problem and the beef industry get shut down in the
US, especially the fast food **** beef. We would see a subtle spike is general health if people ate
more fish and good old fashined healthy carbs. Maybe a blessing on the horizon.

"tcomeau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "William A. Noyes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > With the discovery of Mad Cow disease in a cow from near the town of Mabton, Yakima county,
> > Washington State, this long predicted event has come to past. The impact will likely ripple
> > through the economy for months if not years.
> >

> http://msnbc.msn.com/Default.aspx?id=3797510&p1=0
>
> quote:
> **************************
> The Agriculture Department announced Tuesday that a so-called downed cow, meaning it was unable to
> move on its own, had tested positive for the brain-wasting disease. The cow, which came from a
> farm near Yakima, Wash., was slaughtered Dec. 9.
>
> Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman said parts of the animal went to three processing plants in
> Washington State. But she said there was no danger to the food supply because "muscle cuts of meat
> have almost no risk."
> **************************
>
> I wonder how common it is, in the American beef industry, to allow a downed cow to go into the
> human food supply? How many other downed American cows go into the human food supply on a regular
> basis? Is this not a dangerous practice? If the animal is diseased and becomes a downed cow, it
> still goes into the American food supply?!?
>
> The cow that was found in Canada went into pet food. It was never even close to going into the
> human food supply because it was a downed cow!!! And the Americans cast doubt on the Canadian beef
> supply!!!! And shut its borders to Canadian beef on this basis!!!
>
> I wil never eat American beef again!
>
> TC

Support the Akaka Downed Animal Amendment!

Senator Daniel Akaka's downed animal amendment to the Agriculture Appropriations bill will prohibit
USDA inspectors at slaughter facilities from approving meat from non-ambulatory livestock for human
consumption. The amendment is similar to the Downed Animal Protection Act (S. 1298 / H.R.
2519), introduced by Senator Akaka and Representative Gary Ackerman. Both the amendment and the bill
would encourage those handling livestock to treat them with greater care to prevent them from
getting sick or injured, and will result in more humane handling of livestock that do become
non-ambulatory. In the 107th Congress, the Senate and the House each approved provisions, as
part of their farm bills, requiring humane euthanasia of downed animals at stockyards, auction
houses and other intermediate markets, but this language was removed during the farm bill
conference.

. Downed animals suffer terribly. Animals too sick or injured to stand or walk are routinely
pushed, kicked, dragged, and prodded with electric shocks in an effort to move them at auction
and slaughter facilities, en route to slaughter. Downed animals may be left for hours or days
without food, water, or veterinary care as they await slaughter. There is no excuse for this
unnecessary torment.

. Meat from downed animals is more likely to be unfit for consumption. It has an increased risk
of bacterial contamination, and is at a high risk for other diseases. A 2001 study in Germany
found that downed cows were 10 to 240 times more likely to test positive for Bovine Spongiform
Encephalopathy (BSE or

"mad cow" disease). The "mad cow" recently found in Canada was a downed animal, prompting the
President of the Alberta Beef Producers to remark, "Cows too sick to walk, too sick to stand, have
no business being part of the food system. This animal should never have left the farm." In January,
USDA concluded that if BSE does occur in the U.S., it will most likely first be found among downed
cattle. According to USDA, downed animals "represent a significant pathway for spread of disease if
they are not handled or disposed of with appropriate safeguards."

. A high proportion of downed animals are approved for human consumption under current USDA
practice. USDA records from 1999-2001 indicated that 73% of downed animals passed inspection
for human consumption, while just 27% were condemned. USDA records further show that, of those
approved, many had gangrene, malignant cancer, pneumonia, or other serious illnesses. Data
presented at a recent Livestock Conservation Insitute meeting showed that 14% of downed cows
are Salmonella positive at time of slaughter, including one cow in the study that tested
positive for Salmonella septicemia - a fatal affliction that kills about 1,000 Americans each
year. That cow passed inspection and entered the food supply.

. Only a small fraction of downed animals processed for human food are tested for mad cow
disease. Approximately 195,000 downed livestock are processed every year in the U.S.,
according to USDA. But the General Accounting Office reported in 2002 that only 48,000 downed
animals had been tested for mad cow disease over the past 13 years combined, and USDA
acknowledged in January that only 19,990 cattle samples were tested for mad cow disease in FY
2002 (the year with the most such tests). USDA also noted that "downer cattle infected with
BSE often cannot be found by looking for the typical clinical signs associated with BSE,
because the signs of BSE often cannot be differentiated from the signs of the many other
diseases and conditions affecting downer cattle. Thus, if BSE were present in the United
States, downer cattle infected with BSE could potentially be offered for slaughter and, if the
clinical signs of the disease were not detected, pass antemortem inspection. These cattle
could then be slaughtered for human or animal food." Dr. Stanley Prusiner, who won the Nobel
Prize for his discovery of BSE prions and is considered a foremost expert on mad cow disease,
described the number of BSE tests conducted by USDA as "appalling."

(please see reverse side.)

. It's reasonable to expect farmers to act humanely and to protect public safety. Most
producers already try to keep their livestock from getting sick or injured, and euthanize
any that do become non-ambulatory while they are still on the farm. With proper disposal,
this is the safest course, in order to prevent spread of infectious diseases among animals
and transmission to humans through the food supply. USDA estimates that less than 1% of all
cows processed annually are non-ambulatory. This legislation would most affect the small
number of producers who are unduly subjecting downed animals to suffering and human
consumers to health risks.

. Testing for mad cow disease is best done at the farm, not the slaughter plant. In a USDA-
commissioned study published in 2001, the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis emphasized that the
key to keeping our meat supply BSE-free is dramatically increasing testing of animals that die
on the farm, not at the point of slaughter. In fact, USDA already has a program set up to test
sick animals at farms, but the program has been neglected. Some have argued that the downed
animal legislation would inhibit testing for mad cow disease by inciting farmers to "bury the
evidence" on their farms. But farmers have the most to lose by exposing their own herds to
continuing risk of BSE contamination in the soil, and to having a mad cow outbreak shake
public confidence in the U.S. food supply. Besides, this is just one small part of a much
bigger issue - more than 1 million cows die or are killed each year before being sent to
slaughter. How to dispose of this "dead stock" in the most safe and economical way is an issue
that USDA is grappling with, as reflected in a Federal Register notice published on January
21, 2003. While that broader question is being resolved, it makes no sense to continue feeding
downed animals to American consumers in order to preserve a system that tests a tiny fraction
of them for BSE at slaughter facilities.

. Americans do not want to eat meat from downed animals. In September 2003, a Zogby poll
revealed that 77% of likely U.S. voters oppose the use of downed animals for human food, and
81% are concerned that sending downed animals to slaughterhouses could put human consumers at
risk for mad cow disease. Reflecting this public concern, restaurants including McDonald's,
Wendy's, and Burger King have pledged not to use meat from downed animals. The largest
livestock markets in the nation, including Empire Livestock in New York and Central Livestock
that serves the entire Midwest, have endorsed the removal of downed animals from human food,
citing animal welfare and food safety concerns.

. USDA instituted a policy in 2000 ending the purchase of beef from downed animals for the
National School Lunch and Breakfast programs. This policy was triggered by USDA's recognition
that downed animals pose an unacceptable food safety threat. While it's clear that
schoolchildren deserve protection from unsafe food, so do all other consumers.

For the sake of the animals, public health, and the long-run interests of the U.S. meat industry,

it's time for Congress to ensure that meat from downed animals can no longer end up on someone's
dinner table! Please support the Akaka amendment to Agriculture Appropriations.

"William A. Noyes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> What do you think? How would you limit the damage next time?

I think the mainstream has no clue. I even heard a CNN anchor refer to the cause of mad cow
disease as a virus. No microbe has ever been identified as the culprit. Even transmissibility has
not been proven.

Mark Purdy has done some fascinating research into mad cow and has uncovered strong evidence that
the cause is a combination of a diet high in manganese combined with exposure of the animal to
copper chelating organophosphate pesticides. This means it's not contagious. The beef supply is
safe. Stop treating cattle with nerve gas derivatives and stop feeding them chicken **** (high in
manganese). His research has been stomped on by a consortium of chemical and pharmaceutical
manufacturers: "A lobby group that includes Bayer, Monsanto, Novartis, Pfizer, Roche and Schering-
Plough was behind the effort to discredit Purdey. In December 1999, the same Dr. David Ray was
appointed to the UK Veterinary Products Committee (VPC) -- a government body that licences animal
medicines." http://www.gene.ch/gentech/2001/Oct/msg00106.html

Misinformation on ‘Mad Cow' Disease Threatens America's Family Farms

The truth about the cause of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), commonly known as "Mad Cow"
disease in England and, to a lesser degree, in France is not what you have probably heard about in
the major media. And now, as concerns about the disease are spreading to the United States, many
health experts contend that small American family farms may be subjected to destructive government
regulations that are being promulgated on false premises in the name of fighting the disease.

This was the topic discussed on the April 28 broadcast of Radio Free America, the weekly call-in
talk forum with host Tom Valentine, sponsored by American Free Press. Joining Valentine were two
guests, Sally Fallon and Mark Purdy.

Miss Fallon is the founder and president of the Weston A. Price Foundation and publisher of
Wise Traditions newsletter. For more information, see the foundation's web site at
westonaprice.org or call
(202) 333-4325 and request the free 12-page information packet that is available.

Mark Purdy is an organic dairy farmer from Somerset, England, who refused to obey British government
orders to spray his cattle with organophosphates, a chemical, in order to fight the warble fly.
Purdy went to court to challenge the order and won. His farm was exempted from using the spray. When
the "Mad Cow" epidemic hit England, not one cow in Purdy's herd developed the disease. Purdy has
studied the issue and argues that Mad Cow is not caused by a virus, but is a result of organo
phosphate pesticides and toxic mineral overload.

What follows is an edited transcript of the interview. Valentine's questions are in boldface.
Purdy's responses are in regular text. Miss Fallon's comments are in italics.

Here in the United States, the media was full of hype about bovine encephalopathy, or "Mad Cow"
disease, but you don't buy the official version of what causes it.

Initially, I was very skeptical of the way the British government handled this thing. Foremost, they
blamed it on the fact that cattle were fed with this meat and bonemeal ingredient. What I noticed,
however, that this was actually sold all over the world, including the Middle East, South America
and South Africa and there were cattle in those countries that never had a case of BSE.

As an organic dairyman, do you use that kind of feed?

It actually didn't go into organic feed in the early days, because you were allowed to use 20
percent of the conventional feed as it was called. So organic farmers did get that feed. But what
was interesting was that there was never a single case of BSE in a cow that had been bred on an
organic farm.

So it isn't necessarily the fact that animal parts are being fed back to an animal that eats grass
that is the cause?

No, I think this is a complete myth. There have been 40,000 cows in Britain that were born after the
ban on meat and bonemeal, which was in 1998, and they have developed BSE. So how can the meat and
bonemeal be the cause?

Some of the other European countries have really over-reacted. Germany put down 40,000 cows just
because of a problem in Bavaria with three herds. This is a massive overreaction for a disease that
doesn't spread from cow to cow.

Were organophosphates used on those three cow herds in Germany?

Yes. However, there are two factors involved in this disease. It's a mineral imbalance caused by the
feeding of an artificial milk powder, laced with the metal manganese. When an animal is young, it
can't control the amount of manganese that's taken up into the brain. What happens is that the brain
of a calf that's been fed on this milk powder is overloaded with manganese to a toxic level. In
later life when this animal is treated with a chemical such as a phosphate chemical, it interacts
with the manganese and changes it from a safe form into a lethal, chain-reaction type phenomenon.
It's a bit like a nuclear meltdown in the brain.

Humans have a problem with too much manganese. It can affect human babies.

That's right. The soy infant formula is high in manganese and this is at a time when a baby has no
protection against it. Mothers milk and cow's milk are very low in manganese and yet it is in the
soy formula.

I don't think people realize that baby calves are not given mother's milk. They are given what's
called a "milk replacer," a formula for calves, and they deliberately make it high in manganese to
get certain types of growth.

So the combination of this pesticide to kill the warble fly and the manganese is what you believe is
causing Mad Cow.

This pesticide is so powerful that it is designed to penetrate the cow's skin and kill off the
larvae of the warble fly that actually live inside the cow. They actually pour the pesticide on the
back of the cow at the spinal cord, which is where BSE actually starts. This chemical's effect is to
change the molecular shape of certain brain proteins that affect the nerves.

Has your research had any effect on the British viewpoint?

No, the British have such a reductionist mindset on this whole thing. Now, when I look at the humans
who are dying of this disease, I think it's just scandalous. They will not look at any alternative
theory that dissents from the government's theory.

The government's theory has no evidence whatsoever, but this theory has a load of evidence. For
instance, at Cambridge University—and you can't get any better than that—they did a cell culture
study where they looked at a brain cell and bombarded it with manganese and took out the copper and
this produced the exact abnormality found in the brains of animals that have died of BSE. Even
though this was published in a prestigious journal, it was completely ignored.

The Americans are being much wiser. When the warble fly comes out on the back of the cow, they use
organophosphates but they use it as a water-based pour on, or as a powder. So it doesn't go through
the skin and get into the spinal cord.

The organophosphate pesticide is very economical, but the organic farmers I know don't want
to touch it.

It was never used in America on dairy cows because it can contaminate the milk, but in Britain we
were using it at an exclusively high-dose rate.

I'm sure this caused the massive epidemic of BSE. In fact, the government compelled the high dose
rate. That's why they won't accept the alternative explanation, for it would point to the
government's liability for massive damages.

If your thesis is correct, then the more than 100 people who have contracted the human equivalent of
BSE didn't necessarily all eat meat from a BSE cow.

I think in humans it is the same sort of toxic template. If you look at the clusters of human
infection in Britain, which are all in rural and coastal areas, not in towns, if it were a matter of
beef consumption it would be spread more evenly.

I've done environmental studies of these clusters and found very high levels of manganese. They're
all high in oxidizing agents. A lot of the people in Britain who have provided me information
indicate, for example, that their children have used head-lice shampoos which contain the same kind
of organophosphates. So I think this is probably half of the problem.

In addition, consider the possibility that some of these children affected may have also been
brought up on soy-based formula.

I think there is also a genetic element. A lack of copper in the body also seems to be a
susceptibility factor.

We get copper from animal foods: meat and seafood and so forth.

Manganese is a necessary dietary element.

But when it accumulates in the brain, that's when it is a problem.

We Americans should not take this BSE thing for granted. The story that the U.S. Department of
Agriculture is putting out is that animals that are outside are much more likely to contract these
wasting diseases and I have a feeling that this is going to be used against small farmers and grass-
based farms. We do need to be armed with the truth in regard to what is going on with this disease.

The growing concentration in the American food industry is a real problem. We have four processors
controlling 80 percent of the beef that goes to four companies that control 90 percent of the meat
sales in America. Our Justice Department doesn't see a problem with this kind of monopoly. The
situation is much worse than when Sinclair Lewis wrote The Jungle. The conditions in these packing
plants are just horrendous. It all ties in to the BSE problem: the industrialization of livestock
management, the use of heavy chemicals, inappropriate feeding and the use of milk substitutes.

They want to raise the cows as fast as they can and as cheaply as they can. Human nutrition is never
considered.

However, the alternative system of grass-based farming is growing by leaps and bounds and I'm afraid
that the beef industry is going to use the concern over BSE as a method to block the growth of the
competition from grass-based farming.

We recognize the need for some type of animal food in the diet, whether it is milk or meat, but when
these foods move into the hands of the industry, they become denatured and we get inferior products.

We want to get back to small farms and direct sales between farmers and consumers. In certain states
they are already moving against small grass-based farms, such as the chicken farms in Mississippi.
The big interests want chickens to be produced on industrial farms.

Mark, do you drink your cows' milk?

I've raised all of my eight children on my cows' milk and they are the picture of health.

http://www.americanfreepress.net/Alternative_Health/21_Misinformation_on_Mad_Cow.htm

--Hua Kul

"tcomeau" wrote:
> I wil never eat American beef again!

Nor will I. (Or any other nation!)

tcomeau writes:

> I wonder how common it is, in the American beef industry, to allow a downed cow to go into the
> human food supply?

As long as it is legal, you can rest assured that it happens every day. Cattle are worth a
lot of money.

William A. Noyes writes:

> Then you will never eat ground beef again, TC, if you want to avoid American beef. Ground beef
> comes from nearly everywhere.

Alas! Ground beef is about the only kind of beef I can tolerate.

Once upon a time, our fellow Mxsmanic rambled on about "Re: A proposal for the America beef
industry." Our champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

>tcomeau writes:
>
>> I wonder how common it is, in the American beef industry, to allow a downed cow to go into the
>> human food supply?
>
>As long as it is legal, you can rest assured that it happens every day. Cattle are worth a lot
>of money.

Actually, the problem is that downed cows go to cow food supply.

Just thought that you might want to know. :)

John 'the Man' <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Once upon a time, our fellow Mxsmanic rambled on about "Re: A proposal for the America beef
> industry." Our champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...
>
> >tcomeau writes:
> >
> >> I wonder how common it is, in the American beef industry, to allow a downed cow to go into the
> >> human food supply?
> >
> >As long as it is legal, you can rest assured that it happens every day. Cattle are worth a lot
> >of money.
>
> Actually, the problem is that downed cows go to cow food supply.

What about organic beef? Do these cos get fed like that too?

I can't live without beef. I tried but I need some. Would organic beef be safe?