a question from a newbie

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by James Noll, Dec 13, 2004.

  1. I'm spending the holidays in San Diego, near Balboa Park. What are good
    rides? Where is the place that rents bicycles for $50(??) per week?

    Alan Acock

  2. NobodyMan

    NobodyMan Guest

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:38:41 GMT, "James Noll" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I am getting interested in getting back to bicycling as a form of excercise
    >and recreation. I was told by a friend that is really into cycling that in
    >order to really get a good bike, you need to spend just over $1000 with
    >special seat and clothing and shoes, etc. Is this true? I am considering a
    >"Road Bike" or perhaps a "Hybrid".

    You are going to get lots of advice on this. Cycling is a sport where
    you can start cheap, but as you get better you'll kick yourself for
    not getting more.

    Do you have to spend over $1,000 for a good bike? Of course not!
    Having said that, there is a major performance trade-olff between the
    cheaper bikes and those that cost more. I used to ride a very
    reasonably priced Fuji (about $400, complete) many years ago. About
    three years after I got it, I switched to a bike that priced out, with
    components, at over $1500. The difference was night and day in
    performance and handling.

    You also don't have to wear the special clothes, but they do come in
    handy. Bike shorts have a lining that pads the crotch making the ride
    more tolerable. The shorts and jerseys are made of materials that
    will allow sweat to more quickly evaporate, keeping you cooler and
    more comfortable. The shoes usually mesh with your pedals via cleats,
    keeping your feet properly positioned over the pedals.

    As for road bike vs hybrid, that choice is up to you. I only do road
    riding, and if you plan on doing any real distances, a road bike is
    the only way to go.

    Bottom line: buy whatever you can afford. You can grow into a bike
    that is "more than you need now" but if you have a cheapo bike you can
    quickly outgrow it and then end up having to spend more replacing it.

    >Secondly, he told me that Giant is a good brand bike. I have never heard of
    >them.

    Giants are fine.

    >Thirdly, what are some bike brands that dont require a huge investment, yet
    >have features that make biking enjoyable, yet efficient?

    Do some research. Hit local bike stores. Many local stores are run
    by bicyclists and they would be happy to help you!

    >Thank you for helping a newbis...
    >
    >James

  3. I agree with several items in your posting, but disagree with your
    conclusion below:

    >Bottom line: buy whatever you can afford. You can grow into a bike
    >that is "more than you need now" but if you have a cheapo bike you can
    >quickly outgrow it and then end up having to spend more replacing it.

    As an alternative, there is something good to be said for starting
    with something 'reasonable' and then buying higher end as you learn
    what you prefer.

    People's definitions of "reasonable" may differ, but I have found that
    there is a large difference between very low end (e.g. department
    store bike) and lower end of what you find in a bike shop (e.g.
    ~$400-$500) and I'd stay away from the department store bikes. I have
    found differences but not as large as you go up from there. Ask
    someone in a bike shop to show you what differentiates one bicycle
    from another and pick from there.

    The poster I relied to started with a $400 bike and then switched to a
    $1500 bike with dramatic improvement (3 years later). I'd say the
    $400 wasn't completely wasted since it got him started...

    >You also don't have to wear the special clothes, but they do come in
    >handy. Bike shorts have a lining that pads the crotch making the ride
    >more tolerable. The shorts and jerseys are made of materials that
    >will allow sweat to more quickly evaporate, keeping you cooler and
    >more comfortable. The shoes usually mesh with your pedals via cleats,
    >keeping your feet properly positioned over the pedals.

    Again, I'll agree with usefulness but some of these are items you can
    add over time. Padded cycling shorts and gloves were early on my
    list. After riding a lot over past years not till recently have I
    worn many jerseys over cotton shirts. My cycling mileage is over
    10,000 miles this year and 40,000 miles in the past five years but I'm
    still riding in toe clips instead of cleats.

    >Do some research. Hit local bike stores. Many local stores are run
    >by bicyclists and they would be happy to help you!

    Agree here.

    --mev, Mike Vermeulen

  4. James Noll

    James Noll Guest

    Thank you all again for "wise counsel". I am having a hard time getting a
    "LaMond Tourmalet" because of the shortage of Shimano Ultegra groupo parts.
    So... I really would like to get a frame made in US but I've heard that the
    Taiwanese higher end ones are as good. So, this means finding an equivilent
    (I guess it really comes down to gears, der's and carbon , oh my! Dorothy
    where's toto?) bike. I am considering (yes, another one) either a Trek 1500
    or a KHS Flight 700 (with Campy Xenon) for about 300 less than the Lemond.
    So If I can get the financing (should be easy enough) I should have one by
    Christmas (Gee, A bike for a 46 year old man for Christmas, didn;t this
    happen once before?)
    Anyway, thanks again and have a Merry Christmas and God Bless!

    James

    "Mike Vermeulen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I agree with several items in your posting, but disagree with your
    > conclusion below:
    >
    > >Bottom line: buy whatever you can afford. You can grow into a bike
    > >that is "more than you need now" but if you have a cheapo bike you can
    > >quickly outgrow it and then end up having to spend more replacing it.

    > As an alternative, there is something good to be said for starting
    > with something 'reasonable' and then buying higher end as you learn
    > what you prefer.
    >
    > People's definitions of "reasonable" may differ, but I have found that
    > there is a large difference between very low end (e.g. department
    > store bike) and lower end of what you find in a bike shop (e.g.
    > ~$400-$500) and I'd stay away from the department store bikes. I have
    > found differences but not as large as you go up from there. Ask
    > someone in a bike shop to show you what differentiates one bicycle
    > from another and pick from there.
    >
    > The poster I relied to started with a $400 bike and then switched to a
    > $1500 bike with dramatic improvement (3 years later). I'd say the
    > $400 wasn't completely wasted since it got him started...
    >
    > >You also don't have to wear the special clothes, but they do come in
    > >handy. Bike shorts have a lining that pads the crotch making the ride
    > >more tolerable. The shorts and jerseys are made of materials that
    > >will allow sweat to more quickly evaporate, keeping you cooler and
    > >more comfortable. The shoes usually mesh with your pedals via cleats,
    > >keeping your feet properly positioned over the pedals.

    > Again, I'll agree with usefulness but some of these are items you can
    > add over time. Padded cycling shorts and gloves were early on my
    > list. After riding a lot over past years not till recently have I
    > worn many jerseys over cotton shirts. My cycling mileage is over
    > 10,000 miles this year and 40,000 miles in the past five years but I'm
    > still riding in toe clips instead of cleats.
    >
    > >Do some research. Hit local bike stores. Many local stores are run
    > >by bicyclists and they would be happy to help you!

    > Agree here.
    >
    > --mev, Mike Vermeulen

  5. The Pretzel

    The Pretzel Guest

    "James Noll" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I am getting interested in getting back to bicycling as a form of excercise
    > and recreation. I was told by a friend that is really into cycling that in
    > order to really get a good bike, you need to spend just over $1000 with
    > special seat and clothing and shoes, etc. Is this true? I am considering a
    > "Road Bike" or perhaps a "Hybrid".
    >
    > Secondly, he told me that Giant is a good brand bike. I have never heard of
    > them.
    >
    > Thirdly, what are some bike brands that dont require a huge investment, yet
    > have features that make biking enjoyable, yet efficient?
    >
    > Thank you for helping a newbis...
    >
    > James

    Here's a thought.
    Go to craigslist.org
    http://www.craigslist.org/

    Check off the town you live in and look at what's for sale.
    Post back to us what you like and I'm sure one of us can help you in determining
    if the bike is right for you or not. You can include a URL of what you're
    looking at.

    Peace,
    -G.

  6. The Pretzel

    The Pretzel Guest

    Posting to myself here.

    "The Pretzel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "James Noll" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I am getting interested in getting back to bicycling as a form of excercise
    > > and recreation. I was told by a friend that is really into cycling that in
    > > order to really get a good bike, you need to spend just over $1000 with
    > > special seat and clothing and shoes, etc. Is this true? I am considering a
    > > "Road Bike" or perhaps a "Hybrid".
    > >
    > > Secondly, he told me that Giant is a good brand bike. I have never heard of
    > > them.
    > >
    > > Thirdly, what are some bike brands that dont require a huge investment, yet
    > > have features that make biking enjoyable, yet efficient?
    > >
    > > Thank you for helping a newbis...
    > >
    > > James

    > Here's a thought.
    > Go to craigslist.org
    > http://www.craigslist.org/
    >
    > Check off the town you live in and look at what's for sale.
    > Post back to us what you like and I'm sure one of us can help you in

    determining
    > if the bike is right for you or not. You can include a URL of what you're
    > looking at.
    >
    > Peace,
    > -G.

  7. The Pretzel

    The Pretzel Guest

    "The Pretzel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "James Noll" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I am getting interested in getting back to bicycling as a form of excercise
    > > and recreation. I was told by a friend that is really into cycling that in
    > > order to really get a good bike, you need to spend just over $1000 with
    > > special seat and clothing and shoes, etc. Is this true? I am considering a
    > > "Road Bike" or perhaps a "Hybrid".
    > >
    > > Secondly, he told me that Giant is a good brand bike. I have never heard of
    > > them.
    > >
    > > Thirdly, what are some bike brands that dont require a huge investment, yet
    > > have features that make biking enjoyable, yet efficient?
    > >
    > > Thank you for helping a newbis...
    > >
    > > James

    > Here's a thought.
    > Go to craigslist.org
    > http://www.craigslist.org/
    >
    > Check off the town you live in and look at what's for sale.
    > Post back to us what you like and I'm sure one of us can help you in

    determining
    > if the bike is right for you or not. You can include a URL of what you're
    > looking at.
    >
    > Peace,
    > -G.

    Posting to myself...
    Try this. It's in your price range.... DAMN good bike for the price....
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/bik/51977744.html

  8. James Noll

    James Noll Guest

    Thanks for the info, I do want to buy new for the warranty,

    ;)
    James
    "The Pretzel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "James Noll" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I am getting interested in getting back to bicycling as a form of

    excercise
    > > and recreation. I was told by a friend that is really into cycling that

    in
    > > order to really get a good bike, you need to spend just over $1000 with
    > > special seat and clothing and shoes, etc. Is this true? I am considering

    > > "Road Bike" or perhaps a "Hybrid".
    > >
    > > Secondly, he told me that Giant is a good brand bike. I have never heard

    of
    > > them.
    > >
    > > Thirdly, what are some bike brands that dont require a huge investment,

    yet
    > > have features that make biking enjoyable, yet efficient?
    > >
    > > Thank you for helping a newbis...
    > >
    > > James

    > Here's a thought.
    > Go to craigslist.org
    > http://www.craigslist.org/
    >
    > Check off the town you live in and look at what's for sale.
    > Post back to us what you like and I'm sure one of us can help you in

    determining
    > if the bike is right for you or not. You can include a URL of what you're
    > looking at.
    >
    > Peace,
    > -G.

  9. James Noll

    James Noll Guest

    Well Gang,

    I have committed! (No, not "have been committed": ;) ) I bought a (drum
    roll please...) a 2005 Trek 1500!!!! Yea!!!!!
    I am so stoked I could just wet my...oops, no I cant say that on this ,
    unhum....fine thread...
    I want to thabnk each and every one of you personally...thank you, thankyou,
    thank you, thank you......(ad infinitum...)
    Your help was and is greatly appreciated and I look forward to posting about
    my humble rides in the near future.

    I wish you all a very merry Christmas and the happiest of New Years.

    James
    "The Pretzel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "James Noll" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I am getting interested in getting back to bicycling as a form of

    excercise
    > > and recreation. I was told by a friend that is really into cycling that

    in
    > > order to really get a good bike, you need to spend just over $1000 with
    > > special seat and clothing and shoes, etc. Is this true? I am considering

    > > "Road Bike" or perhaps a "Hybrid".
    > >
    > > Secondly, he told me that Giant is a good brand bike. I have never heard

    of
    > > them.
    > >
    > > Thirdly, what are some bike brands that dont require a huge investment,

    yet
    > > have features that make biking enjoyable, yet efficient?
    > >
    > > Thank you for helping a newbis...
    > >
    > > James

    > Here's a thought.
    > Go to craigslist.org
    > http://www.craigslist.org/
    >
    > Check off the town you live in and look at what's for sale.
    > Post back to us what you like and I'm sure one of us can help you in

    determining
    > if the bike is right for you or not. You can include a URL of what you're
    > looking at.
    >
    > Peace,
    > -G.

  10. v-man

    v-man Guest

    > Secondly, he told me that Giant is a good brand bike. I have never heard
    > of
    > them.

    I have a Giant and like it very much. They make great bikes.

  11. On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:38:41 GMT, "James Noll" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I am getting interested in getting back to bicycling as a form of excercise
    >and recreation. I was told by a friend that is really into cycling that in
    >order to really get a good bike, you need to spend just over $1000 with
    >special seat and clothing and shoes, etc. Is this true? I am considering a
    >"Road Bike" or perhaps a "Hybrid".
    >
    >Secondly, he told me that Giant is a good brand bike. I have never heard of
    >them.
    >
    >Thirdly, what are some bike brands that dont require a huge investment, yet
    >have features that make biking enjoyable, yet efficient?
    >
    >Thank you for helping a newbis...
    >
    >James

    I paid $500 for my Specialized, bought with the same intentions, 3
    years ago.

    I ride it almost every other day in the summer on gravel roads and
    trails.

    Couldn't be happier.

  12. foots

    foots Guest