A question from a Newbie!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Andrew & Briony, Feb 25, 2003.

  1. Hey Guys,

    I'm looking into starting out in mountain biking - general XC type
    stuff, general commuting and with a smidgeon and downhill. I can pick up a
    Claub Butler Rock (2002) at my local bike shop of GBP300 and was wondering
    whether anyone had either experience or comments to add about this bike?

    Cheers, and thanks for any advice you can offer!

    Andrew Dawes

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Andrew & Briony Dawes wrote:

    > I'm looking into starting out in mountain biking - general XC type
    > stuff, general commuting and with a smidgeon and downhill. I can pick up a
    > Claub Butler Rock (2002) at my local bike shop of GBP300 and was wondering
    > whether anyone had either experience or comments to add about this bike?

    There are better bikes for the money.

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Andrew & Briony Dawes wrote:
    >
    > > I'm looking into starting out in mountain biking - general XC type
    > > stuff, general commuting and with a smidgeon and downhill. I can pick up
    > > Claub Butler Rock (2002) at my local bike shop of GBP300 and was
    wondering
    > > whether anyone had either experience or comments to add about this bike?
    >
    > There are better bikes for the money.

    Indeed! I had the CB Hardrock, and it was a heavy POS! The new ones, however (frames same for
    several models) have a different frame design - more slpoed top tube, lighter frame, prettier
    looking, but I haven't ridden one to know if the frame is as flexy as the old one (mine flexed so
    much around the BB, that I could make the chainrings hit the front mech cage when mashing on the
    pedalls, and I only weigh about 160 lb).

    I too think you'd be better spending your £300 elsewhere.

    Shaun aRe

  4. Hey Guys,

    Thanks for your feedback - any ideas on what would be a better purchase for about the same
    amount of money? I forgot to add that I am also on keeping the frame open to upgrades such as
    discs etc.........

    Cheers, and thanks heaps for your feedback!

    Andrew Dawes "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Andrew & Briony Dawes wrote:
    >
    > > I'm looking into starting out in mountain biking - general XC type
    > > stuff, general commuting and with a smidgeon and downhill. I can pick up
    > > Claub Butler Rock (2002) at my local bike shop of GBP300 and was
    wondering
    > > whether anyone had either experience or comments to add about this bike?
    >
    > There are better bikes for the money.

  5. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Andrew & Briony Dawes wrote:
    > Hey Guys,
    >
    > Thanks for your feedback - any ideas on what would be a better purchase for about the same
    > amount of money?

    Pick up a magazine and have a look at the deals that shops are doing on 2002 clear out, eg, Evans
    have a Kona Hahanna for 290, Kona Fire Mountain for 320, Trek 4300 - 4400's for 280-330 and JE James
    has a Trek 4500 for 330. All are in a different world to the CB.

    I forgot to add that I am also on
    > keeping the frame open to upgrades such as discs etc.........

    Hmm, for 300 nicker you'd be better off just spanking it in to the ground for a couple of years and
    upgrading everything when it's dead.

    > Cheers, and thanks heaps for your feedback!

    You're welcome :)