A quick NCAR ride - Boulder (pictures)

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Chuck Anderson, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. We've been having some VERY mild weather here in Boulder this winter. It has actually become the
    norm over the last decade or so here on the Colorado Front Range. Global warming (50's - even into
    the 60's and hitting 70 on the extreme days - accompanied with drought)? I think it very well could
    be, but hey, .... that's not what this is about.

    I'm lucky enough to have this gorgeous quick ride right in my "back yard." If I haven't time for a
    real ride, I can get up and down this in about 30 minutes. And I often get stuck at the top just
    looking around (one of those - "I can see my house from here!" views.)

    http://cycletourist.com/ncar (1st page is 500k, 2nd page is 750k, and the 3rd is 1MB)

    And here's a ride profile. http://cycletourist.com/temp/NCAR-up-down.gif

    Happy Trails.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Integrity is obvious. The lack of it

    Tags:

  2. >We've been having some VERY mild weather here in Boulder this winter.

    Greetings from Parker.

    Great pics, Chuck.

    Yes, I have been riding practically every week this winter, and I don't enjoy riding in cold temps.

    Yesterday did a 35 mile ride, and I, too, took on some hills just East of Parker (Colorado). My
    fastest speed was a lowly 32 mph, though, so your hill must be a lot steeper!

    Lots and lots of bikers out yesterday!

    Someday we will have to ride together!

    http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns (Colorado rental condo)

    http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox (Family Web Page)

  3. >Yes, I have been riding practically every week this winter, and I don't enjoy riding in cold temps.

    Spoke too soon.

    Just drove home (in my car) 10 miles in a friggin totally unpredicted blizzard! Took me
    about an hour.

    Weatherman said this morning "Absolutely no snow!"

    So much for weathermen!

    Now they are predicting 4-7 inches in the next couple of hours!

    http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns (Colorado rental condo)

    http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox (Family Web Page)

  4. Thanks for posting the trip up NCAR and good to see you are riding. I like the sequence of photos.
    I'll have to think of an equivalent here in Fort Collins (for me a "Masonville Loop", further
    distance ~32 miles but also less of one solid climb).

    --mev, Mike Vermeulen

  5. Denver C. Fox wrote:

    >>Yes, I have been riding practically every week this winter, and I don't enjoy riding in
    >>cold temps.
    >
    >Spoke too soon.
    >
    >Just drove home (in my car) 10 miles in a friggin totally unpredicted blizzard! Took me
    >about an hour.
    >
    >Weatherman said this morning "Absolutely no snow!"
    >
    >So much for weathermen!
    >
    >Now they are predicting 4-7 inches in the next couple of hours!

    Thank god, it's over already. That was starting to look like an upslope (major dump) by the way it
    was coming down. It sure caught everyone off guard.

    But hey, yeay! .... take a look. The weather forecast shows 45 - 55º by Wednesday. I'm getting in
    good shape much earlier than usual this year - and glad to be dodging any long breaks in my
    "regimen." I get no pleasure from rides under 40º. I'm not into high tech ($$ gear) and my body is
    an untypically strong heat engine - I sweat too much, or freeze. (So, "bring it on," Dubyah. Global
    warming is good ô¿Ô¬)

    I'll have to document the Flagstaff Mountain ride soon. It's 15 miles (to the top and back from my
    house) and involves about 1500 feet of climbing - 1300 of that nonstop up Flagstaff Mountain
    (straight up Baseline Rd). That's the regular ride I do now (once every couple of days if I can),
    especially when it's windy on the plains. Once I start climbing, the mountain blocks the wind
    (*most* of the way).

    I've got a new "mantra" into my head this year that I like to think-sing on these climbs as I can
    get more aggressive with them, "no granny, no granny, no granny go!" (re: "The Little Old Lady from
    Pasadena")

    Now, ... try and get *that* one out of your head.

    --
    *****************************

  6. Mike Vermeulen wrote:

    >Thanks for posting the trip up NCAR and good to see you are riding.

    Thanks, Mike. I haven't toured in years, either. Been busy tending to family affairs.

    But I've got touring blood surging back through my veins this year. I know I'll get out this
    summer. I'm hoping I can go riding in Germany/Austria in July, but if I can't manage that (afford
    it), I'm thinking of a ride around Lake Michigan --- and with this discussion about the Michigan
    Upper Peninsula, that looks it would be a fine alternative. Besides, Wisconsin is just like
    Germany, isn't it?

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Integrity is obvious. The lack of it
    is common.
    *****************************

  7. Greg Morrow

    Greg Morrow Guest

    Cool Pic's Thanks, Chuck Greg

  8. Hi Folks

    I used to live near NCAR and used that for a hill training - but then I spent the summer up in
    Nederland and called the Peak to Peak Hwy my home. Now I'm off Diagonal & 63rd so I'm in the flats
    again. I'm finding it hard to get motivated to ride. Anyone up this way need a partner ? Any group
    rides for people with hairy legs (ladies excluded - I hope) ?

    For the folks up north, I love the road just north of Carter Lake (I think). At the bottom of that
    screamin downhill - head west. The road winds and up and up to - Pinewood Lake ? Anyone else done
    this one ? Is it snow covered now ?

    If anyone wants to work on doing some video of these rides ( hopefuly as practice for shooting the
    classic mountain climbs in the spring), let me know. I'm always looking for riders to shoot for
    postcards, video, etc. All my buddies are mtn bikers.

    Chuck, I rode around the top half of Lake Michigan in '95. Beautiful place for touring, but not too
    many pics since I traveled solo.

    You and I have done some of the same trips but I'm sure there are others here who have been where we
    want to go. How about we get some folks together for a multi-trip bike tour slideshow to get us all
    motivated ?

    Anyone else up for a beer and bike stories night ?

    cheers

    Scott Murrish Boulder, CO http://www.ScottMurrish.com

  9. Scott,

    A beer and bike stories night in Colorado front range could be interesting. I am up in Fort Collins
    and have done some touring (see http://www.fietstocht.com for list of trips). I haven't met Chuck in
    person, though I owe him a beer from a favor he did once while I was on tour.

    I have done the road to Pinewood Reservoir, though not this winter. Roads further north @ Horsetooth
    Reservoir/Masonville haven't been snowy, so wouldn't expect a lot of snow at similar elevation
    further south unless recent upslope storm this weekend just dropped some.

    I am trying a January "century of the month" ride this Saturday
    (1/31), from Fort Collins to Wyoming Border and back via US 85. I will see if the weather
    cooperates, as they are predicting 30% chance of snow.

    --mev, Mike Vermeulen

    p.s. Grew up south of Longmont and graduated from Niwot High School, so well familiar with Diagonal
    & 63rd area...

  10. Scott Murrish wrote:

    >Now I'm off Diagonal & 63rd so I'm in the flats again.

    I come through there often on one of my favorite rides - out to Ryssby church and back. It's a 32
    mile loop from my house. Ryssby church (Swedish pioneer church) has fresh well water in the cemetery
    in back. One of the grave markers is a stone bench and I often bring a lunch.

    The route is obvious. From Table Mesa I head north through Boulder then onto the Foothills highway
    (36) to Nelson Road. Downhill past the Table Mountain radio telescopes and then past a buffalo herd
    to 63rd. I turn back south and stop at Ryssby church (I always refresh my water supply there). 63rd
    - past IBM, Coot Lake, across the diagonal and on to Valmont. From there I have a variety of ways
    to get home.

    I actually have a pretty good GPS track overlayed on a map of this one. http://cycletourist.com/gps/Ryssby-4-11-03-
    map.gif (the mile spacing is a little weird, but essentially correct overall? I don;t even use the
    damn thing anymore. A cyclecomputer works much better. I like the track overlays, though - and the
    elevation profile (except that it has gaps and spikes - but once again, gives an okay overall
    picture of the elevation profile.)

    Two shots on my home page are taken from right in front of Ryssby (click on "First" under the
    picture window and then look at the Next two).

    >I'm finding it hard to get motivated to ride.

    I'm going to tour this year, and every time I get out I think about that
    - about being in a new place, "on the road," and that gets me going.

    Flagstaff is a beautiful place to ride to this time of year, too (and until the end o May). The gate
    is closed to the amphitheater, so cyclists have that section to themselves. (May be a couple of more
    weeks before I can get through the snow there now, though). I love to get up there and meditate -
    take a pause and breath - in and out. Let the mind go.

    >For the folks up north,

    I've only done one ride "up north" - a century to Loveland and back (from Boulder). I also left in
    that direction to go through Greeley on my way to Sterling, the Nebraska border, and beyond.

    >Chuck, I rode around the top half of Lake Michigan in '95.

    That does sound like a great idea (if Germany fall$ through). I'm sure I'll be using DEET up there.

    >Anyone else up for a beer and bike stories night ?

    I could be cajoled.

    I'm in the beginning stages of creating a Boulder area cyclists' web site (cycleboulder.org - I
    haven't even uploaded a home page yet.) I'd like to include a message board, mainly for locals, ....
    for riders seeking riders, ride info, routes, and "bike stories."

    But first, I have to try and earn some money for my summer plans.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Integrity is obvious. The lack of it
    is common.
    *****************************

  11. >(see http://www.fietstocht.com for list of trips).

    I don't read other cycle trip stories much, I skim the "contents page" and see what might interest
    me. But one thing that really sticks with me is when you decided to have your head shaved at that
    temple in India. Now *that* is being "out on the road." I really wanted to be there, too.

    >I haven't met Chuck in person, though I owe him a beer ...

    Cool :)

    >I am trying a January "century of the month" ride this Saturday
    >(1/31),

    The weather certainly did not cooperate.

    I'm hoping we hit 40+ by tomorrow so I can get in a ride.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Integrity is obvious. The lack of it
    is common.
    *****************************

  12. >>I am trying a January "century of the month" ride this Saturday
    >>(1/31),
    >>
    >The weather certainly did not cooperate.

    Nope. I still did a subset of the ride. Here is a report I wrote up for a different forum. I'm going
    to try a February "century of the month" along the same route. Target date is 2/14, but will see how
    the weather looks like. Still remember one of your ride photos being near Rockport on US-85.

    Slip Sliding Away, A Ride that wasn't:

    Following is a quick tale of a ride that wasn't. The idea was simple, try riding a "century of the
    month". For a variety of reasons, this didn't happen earlier so my target was Saturday, January
    31st. Weather forecasts early in the week started iffy (30% chance snow and breezy) and became worse
    by night before (60% chance snow). The route I had chosen was Fort Collins, CO to the Wyoming border
    roughly following I-25 on frontage roads and then looping back via US-85. While flat, the risk was
    large open (windy) areas near border as well as climb to over 6000ft. This part of I-25 is
    occasionally closed due to winter storms.

    Neverless, weather in Colorado can be fickle and I didn't want to be scared off only to discover
    weather forecasters got it wrong. I started from home at 7am and rode to nearby McDonalds where a
    friend might meet me. He wasn't there so started north through city of Fort Collins towards
    Wellington on CO route 1. Sun briefly illuminated the mountains before more overcast set in.
    Temperature about 30F, south winds, ominous looking but still dry. I rode my TE with bright yellow
    body sock and was still toasty warm.

    Roads don't have large shoulder, but light traffic and good visibility made for good riding the
    first 17 miles to Wellington. Very light snow flakes were drifting down, but nothing was sticking.
    Small town of Wellington was active with people about at the shops. This was first planned stop
    since not much after that for 20 miles to the Wyoming border, and also since my feet were getting
    cold. As I took a break and read the morning paper, snowfall increased and started sticking.

    Weather forecasters had been right, and decided it would be wiser to turn around than get myself on
    slick roads in middle of windy blizzard snow. As I followed frontage roads back, I did find myself
    in midst of some of those conditions: headwind blowing snow in my face, forming clumps of snow in my
    beard and clouding over my glasses. The road was fully white with 0.5" accumulated and icy slick
    spaces where cars had driven. Fortunately only about 10 miles to outskirts of Fort Collins and it
    did get slightly better as I rode.

    I chose highway with wide shouldered roads and then decided to take our bicycle path for last 6
    miles. Here I had my second fall on the bike since I got it last September. This one on a fully snow-
    covered concrete path. I was rounding a moderate corner and before I knew it, the bike slide out and
    I was on my side in middle of path in body sock. Nothing hurt other than pride and I dusted myself
    off before riding again (more slowly this time). I did slide one more time but caught myself. Was
    home by 10:30am after a fun ride of 34 miles though not the century I had tried to ride.

    I will have to declare January's as having only a "metric century" given a 78 mile ride I did on New
    Year's Day. Weather can still get ugly here, but try again and see if can have a February "century
    of the month".

    --mev, Mike Vermeulen