A quick poll ...

<snip>
> > but relocated for love to Willenhall (5 miles down t'road)
>
> Famous/infamous for its bye-law allowing pubs to open as early as 9:30
> a.m. on market days! Also (apparently) had, by a long chalk, the highest concentration of pubs per
> head in South Staffs. (and possibly further afield) for many years!
>
> David E. Belcher
>
> Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

Wouldn't you just know it. Relocated to such a pub friendly 'village' 12 years ago and been to local
pubs maybe 5 times.....I believe that I probably 'go to the pub' less times in a year than the
'average person' does in a week. Don't make me a sad person though ;-) Dave.

In message id <[email protected]> on Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:12:58 -0000,
Andrew B wrote in uk.rec.cycling :

>What other newsgroups do people belong to ?

Well I noticed 27 responses on my news server and no one has mentioned a binaries or warez group.
Sure, its only a small sample but it hogs most of the usenet bandwidth and most of the internet dial
up connections, so somebody "else" must be d/loading it. ;-)

>I sure I recognise a few names from both uk.food+drink.misc, uk.rec.running, uk.rec.climbing &
>uk.rec.walking.

alt.games.civ2, civ3, simcity3000 alt.sports.soccer.arsenal and spurs, the former to catch all the
cross posted **** across all the football newsgroups, the other to keep tabs of gossip at WHL all
the claranet.local groups to keep tabs on why the service is so poor from time to time uk.finance,
uk.business.accountancy for a laugh, (this is my area of gainful employment and seeing so many
"bloke down the pub" type responses lifts my spirits. For as long as there are so many of these
"blokes down the pub" who know nothing but talk as if they know-it-all, I will be able to stay in
business, albeit on clear up operations.) uk.local.london, surrey and here.

>Out of curiosity, what parts of the country are people from ?

Surrey region of M25.

In message id <[email protected]> on Thu, 27 Feb 2003
02:23:26 -0000, Pete White wrote in uk.rec.cycling :

>Oi be fr'm Wiltshoire, ooh aar!
>
>and I subscribe to (and even sometimes read)...
>
>uk.religion.pagan (please don't hit me!) uk.sport.foootball.clubs.rangers (don't ask why!)

Don't these 2 go together?

<ducks for cover

"John Blake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> uk.finance, uk.business.accountancy for a laugh, (this is my area of gainful employment and seeing
> so many "bloke down the pub" type responses lifts my spirits. For as long as there are so many of
> these "blokes down the pub" who know nothing but talk as if they know-it-all, I will be able to
> stay in business, albeit on clear up operations.)

so how come your second to last post to ukba was wrong? :)

cheers, clive

"Andrew B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What other newsgroups do people belong to ?
>
> I sure I recognise a few names from both uk.food+drink.misc,
uk.rec.running,
> uk.rec.climbing & uk.rec.walking.
>
> Out of curiosity, what parts of the country are people from ?

alt.autos.alfa-romeo alt.radio.uk.talk-radio karoo.local rec.radio.shortwave uk.food+drink.real-ale
uk.media.radio.bbc-r5 uk.rec.driving

Andrew B wrote:
> What other newsgroups do people belong to ?

I do not belong to newsgroups, I am a free man.

Andrew B wrote:
> What other newsgroups do people belong to ?

Read & participate in regularly:

uk.rec.cycling rec.sport.rowing

Peruse occasionally:

comp.os.os2.* (mock not!) comp.os.linux.* (and misc. other technical groups depending on what I'm
working on...) rec.bicycle.* uk.rec.aviation rec.aviation.*

> Out of curiosity, what parts of the country are people from ?

Another vote for Ealing, London.

Simon

"Andrew B" <[email protected]> wrote:

| What other newsgroups do people belong to ?
|
| I sure I recognise a few names from both uk.food+drink.misc, uk.rec.running, uk.rec.climbing &
| uk.rec.walking.

ATM I am mostly lurking in

comp.constraints, comp.lang.{prolog,rexx,cobol}, uk.religion.{christian,buddhist,pagan},
uk.people.support.diabetes.

| Out of curiosity, what parts of the country are people from ?

Sheffield, though grew up in Bristol and have commuted in the London
CZ.

--
Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK http://www.anweald.co.uk

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 22:09:08 +0000, John B <[email protected]> wrote:

>At the moment it seems mainly uk.rec.t*sspot.smith-versus-guy

I haven't been to uk.tosspot for a while - too busy working on "operation deny daylight" in my
"home" NG (u.r.c).

However, uk.tosspot (sometimes) alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent (second favourite after here)
rec.bicycles.misc rec.bicycles.soc (sometimes) uk.religion.christian (sometimes)

And any of the Linux / Lotus Domino groups, via Google.

And oi be from Reading (and originally Welwyn GC, but lived in St Albans from age 4 until my
early 20s)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Belong to two groups only.

uk.rec.aviation uk.rec.cycling

Having seen some pretty impressive and lengthy list of new groups, I do feel a little inadequate
with just these two. However both are terrific groups well informed and very stimulating to read.

I was born in Shrewsbury, Shropshire (aka Salop). Moved to London with my parents in the sixties.
Now live in Willesden.

John

In article <[email protected]>, Andrew B
<[email protected]> writes
>What other newsgroups do people belong to ?
>
>I sure I recognise a few names from both uk.food+drink.misc, uk.rec.running, uk.rec.climbing &
>uk.rec.walking.
>
>Out of curiosity, what parts of the country are people from ?
>
>Regards,
>
>Andrew

Recruitment Officer Willesden CC - Est 1927 Everything Cycling *Audax * Racing * Track* Time Trials
* Coaching * Gym * Social Events *

15:02:35 -0000, Clive George wrote in uk.rec.cycling :

>"John Blake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> uk.finance, uk.business.accountancy for a laugh, (this is my area of gainful employment and
>> seeing so many "bloke down the pub" type responses lifts my spirits. For as long as there are so
>> many of these "blokes down the pub" who know nothing but talk as if they know-it-all, I will be
>> able to stay in business, albeit on clear up operations.)
>
>so how come your second to last post to ukba was wrong? :)

It wasn't "wrong". I was asking a question. ;-)

The last small company's accounts I was working on was in January. They had a tax calculation built
into their accounting spreadsheet which all appeared to be working correctly. To double check it I
went to the IR site and it came back with the same answer. Nowhere did I see reference to the tax
rule referred to.

Honest Guv! :)

Besides that's one of the down sides of the job. As much as one knows, and as much more that one
knows in comparisons to one's neighbour, no-ONE knows it ALL. Laws, regulations, rules and GAAP
changes all the time.

James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:
>few - well, two at most - beady eyes on NTL's NGs (NTL is my ISP)

Mine, also. Until the 19th March. To hell with them.

A subset:

alt.fan.pratchett.announce alt.games.xpilot alt.gothic.announce cam.announce comp.lang.perl.announce
comp.os.linux.announce comp.risks net.announce net.computers.os.unix.linux net.config
net.games.roleplaying.announce net.games.roleplaying.general net.games.roleplaying.theory
net.general net.media.other news.announce.important rec.bicycles.tech rec.games.board
rec.games.computer.doom.announce rec.games.computer.xpilot rec.games.mecha
rec.games.roguelike.announce rec.games.roguelike.development rec.games.roguelike.misc
rec.games.roguelike.nethack rec.humor.funny uk.games.board uk.games.roleplay
uk.media.animation.anime uk.net.news.announce uk.people.gothic uk.rec.cycling

The message <[email protected]> from John Davies <[email protected]> contains
these words:

> I was born in Shrewsbury, Shropshire (aka Salop). Moved to London with my parents in the sixties.
> Now live in Willesden.

> John

> ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ John Davies Recruitment Officer Willesden CC - Est
> 1927 Everything Cycling *Audax * Racing * Track* Time Trials * Coaching * Gym * Social Events *

Coo! A ****** Willesden CC member who actually *lives* in Willesden! Are you the only one?

Sorry, I let my Willesden membership lapse. I do still live in Brent though.

Out of curiosity, what parts of the country are people from ?

Born East London mate, live East London...err mate.

--
Mark
______________________________________

"Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo....MATE?"

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:42:02 +0000, John Blake <[email protected]> wrote:

>In message id <[email protected]> on Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:12:58 -0000,
>Andrew B wrote in uk.rec.cycling :
>
>>What other newsgroups do people belong to ?
>
>Well I noticed 27 responses on my news server and no one has mentioned a binaries or warez group.

Yeah, like we're going to admit to alt.binaries.bignbouncy (oops!)

Cheers! Stephen

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:42:02 +0000, John Blake <[email protected]> wrote:

>Well I noticed 27 responses on my news server and no one has mentioned a binaries or warez group.

The denizens of these dens of iniquity can neither spare the bandwidth nor master two-handed typing,
so cannot cut it in such elevated company :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.