A Quick Question: A Suitable lube for pivots?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Westie, Feb 25, 2003.

  1. Westie

    Westie Guest

    Haven't lubed the pivots in the suspension on the bike in ages - an you should have heard the
    dreaded 'creak creak' from somewhere down below for the entire 30km today... Anyway, will any oil be
    suitable to lube those bushes or should I avoid stuff with solvents like WD40?

    OK and noone tell me that KY ain't too bad either! Cheers Westie

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Westie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Haven't lubed the pivots in the suspension on the bike in ages - an you should have heard the
    > dreaded 'creak creak' from somewhere down below for the entire 30km today... Anyway, will any oil
    > be suitable to lube those bushes or should I avoid stuff with solvents like WD40?

    Don't use WD40 or similar - you'd be wasting your time. I'd suggest grease, teflon grease? But then,
    what TF do I know about rear squishers?!?

    > OK and noone tell me that KY ain't too bad either! Cheers Westie

    It's water based - your pivots would corrode.

    HTH, HAND!

    Shaun aRe

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Haven't lubed the pivots in the suspension on the bike in ages - an you should have heard the
    > dreaded 'creak creak' from somewhere down below for the entire 30km today... Anyway, will any oil
    > be suitable to lube those bushes or should I avoid stuff with solvents like WD40?
    >
    > OK and noone tell me that KY ain't too bad either! Cheers Westie

    The source of the creak is most likely your shock bushings. Take 'em apart and clean 'em up real
    good then reassemble. Don't use lube as it only attracts dirt. If the aluminium spacers fall out of
    the shock eyes the bushings and spacers are worn and need to be replaced.

    Mike

  4. Westie wrote:
    > Haven't lubed the pivots in the suspension on the bike in ages - an you should have heard the
    > dreaded 'creak creak' from somewhere down below for the entire 30km today... Anyway, will any oil
    > be suitable to lube those bushes or should I avoid stuff with solvents like WD40?
    >
    > OK and noone tell me that KY ain't too bad either! Cheers Westie

    If I recall correctly, you are on an NRS?

    I would recommend NOT lubing the pivots. Pull everything apart and clean thouroughly, then
    reassemble.Just last weekend my NRS developed a creak due to sloppy condiitons, but I cleaned it
    (without taking it apart) mid ride and the creak went away.

    My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

  5. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Haven't lubed the pivots in the suspension on the bike in ages - an you should have heard the
    > dreaded 'creak creak' from somewhere down below for the entire 30km today... Anyway, will any oil
    > be suitable to lube those bushes or should I avoid stuff with solvents like WD40?
    >
    > OK and noone tell me that KY ain't too bad either! Cheers Westie

    Thanks guys. Sounds like the majority votes for disassemble, cleaning and no lube. I thought that it
    was probably the shock bushes too. I'll give that a crack. Thanks.

    Westie

  6. Dave Haley

    Dave Haley Guest

    "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Haven't lubed the pivots in the suspension on the bike in ages - an you should have heard the
    > dreaded 'creak creak' from somewhere down below for the entire 30km today... Anyway, will any oil
    > be suitable to lube those bushes or should I avoid stuff with solvents like WD40?
    >
    > OK and noone tell me that KY ain't too bad either! Cheers Westie

    Westie, This may sound overly simple but you may want to fire an e-mail off to the manufacturer. My
    first full sus. was a Specialized FSR. My LBS said to lube the bushings with SAE 30 wt motor oil. I
    confirmed this with a call to Specialized. Each manufacturer will have their own requirements based
    upon the bushing material used.

    --

    Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66

  7. Shawn