A quick, random poll for rbr

Ryan Cousineau

Guest
Who is Belgium's greatest cycling star?

No peeking at the answer, just type in the first name that comes to mind.

-RjC.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

On Oct 30, 9:54 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> Who is Belgium's greatest cycling star?
>
> No peeking at the answer, just type in the first name that comes to mind.
>
> -RjC.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau [email protected]://www.wiredcola.com/
> "My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
> Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

Museeuw

> Who is Belgium's greatest cycling star?
>
> No peeking at the answer, just type in the first name that comes to mind.

Museeuw and I know who they're talking about. But what can you expect from
some 20 something reporter who needs a spelling checker to spell "it"?

On 10/30/2007 07:54 PM, in article
[email protected], "Ryan Cousineau"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Who is Belgium's greatest cycling star?
>
> No peeking at the answer, just type in the first name that comes to mind.
>
> -RjC.

Who *IS* Belgium's greatest cycling star? Tom Boonen.

Who has been Belgium's greatest cycling star? In their eras, you would have
to include Briek Schotte, Rik Van Looy, Rik Van Steenbergen, Eddy Merckx,
and Johan Museeuw.

Who is Belgium's greatest cyclist? Merckx, without a doubt.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

Bill C wrote:
> On Oct 30, 9:54 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Who is Belgium's greatest cycling star?
>>
>> No peeking at the answer, just type in the first name that comes to mind.
>>
>> -RjC.
>>
>> --
>> Ryan Cousineau [email protected]://www.wiredcola.com/
>> "My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
>> Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

> Museeuw

but, but... that's a /last/ name.

In article <C34D5020.66B66%[email protected]>,
"Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 10/30/2007 07:54 PM, in article
> [email protected], "Ryan Cousineau"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Who is Belgium's greatest cycling star?
> >
> > No peeking at the answer, just type in the first name that comes to mind.
> >
> > -RjC.

> Who *IS* Belgium's greatest cycling star? Tom Boonen.
>
> Who has been Belgium's greatest cycling star? In their eras, you would have
> to include Briek Schotte, Rik Van Looy, Rik Van Steenbergen, Eddy Merckx,
> and Johan Museeuw.
>
> Who is Belgium's greatest cyclist? Merckx, without a doubt.

You people are all giving the wrong answer!

More to the point, I'm going to have to admit defeat to both Ben and
VeloNews.

Stupid fickle Belgians...

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> Who is Belgium's greatest cycling star?

African or European?

Bob Schwartz

On Oct 30, 8:18 pm, "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On 10/30/2007 07:54 PM, in article
> [email protected], "Ryan Cousineau"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Who is Belgium's greatest cycling star?

> > No peeking at the answer, just type in the first name that comes to mind.

> > -RjC.

> Who *IS* Belgium's greatest cycling star? Tom Boonen.
>
> Who has been Belgium's greatest cycling star? In their eras, you would have
> to include Briek Schotte, Rik Van Looy, Rik Van Steenbergen, Eddy Merckx,
> and Johan Museeuw.
>
> Who is Belgium's greatest cyclist? Merckx, without a doubt.

Isn't that trimming around the subject Steven? Eddy Merckx is the
greatest cycling star from Belgium. Museeuw is the best recent star.
Tom Boonen has a lot of promise. But let's all remember that Frank
Vandenbrouke was going to be the next Eddy Merckx.

On Oct 31, 3:21 am, [email protected] (A R:nen) wrote:
> Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> writes:
> > Who is Belgium's greatest cycling star?

> Active: Sven. Retired (fatty masters honoris causa): Eddy.

Actually I have to agree with that. Nys probably is a bigger star than
Museeuw. And my guess is that he sells a whole lot more beer.

On Oct 31, 9:38 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On Oct 31, 3:21 am, [email protected] (A R:nen) wrote:
>
> > Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> writes:
> > > Who is Belgium's greatest cycling star?

> > Active: Sven. Retired (fatty masters honoris causa): Eddy.

> Actually I have to agree with that. Nys probably is a bigger star than
> Museeuw. And my guess is that he sells a whole lot more beer.

Yeah, on a rethink. For the fact that he almost totally dominates the
sport. Since Cross really is a niche sport inside a niche sport I tend
to forget that it's really important to large groups of people, other
than the rest of the nuts I hung out with. You'd think that all the
diaries/blogs/ and stories coming from Americans, and a Canuck or two,
training and racing in Belgium would register.
Bill C

Bill C <[email protected]> writes:

> > > Active: Sven. Retired (fatty masters honoris causa): Eddy.

> Yeah, on a rethink. For the fact that he almost totally dominates the
> sport. Since Cross really is a niche sport inside a niche sport I tend
> to forget that it's really important to large groups of people, other
> than the rest of the nuts I hung out with.

And probably the largest such group are teh Belgian (or is it "teh
Belgiums"?), so it wouldn't be a surprise if the result was different
from a domestic versus an international perspective.

If there is an actual poll out there, it is bound to be from the
domestic perspective, plus the collective memory seems to be very
short so active athletes are likely to get more votes.

Frank Drackman wrote:
> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Who is Belgium's greatest cycling star?
>>
>> No peeking at the answer, just type in the first name that comes to mind.
>>
>> -RjC.
>>
>> --
>> Ryan Cousineau [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com/
>> "My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
>> Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

> Ludo

Nessun Walloon?

Criquiellion (I probably misspelled that)

In article <[email protected]>,
Bret <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Oct 30, 7:54 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Who is Belgium's greatest cycling star?

> Nys

That's a good call, Bret. Boonen may be the most well known worldwide and has a
damn good palmares but Nys dominates his corner of the sport like nobody else in any
other segment of the sport. But I have to say that Boonen comes across as having a
lot less of an ego than Sven.

--
tanx,
Howard

Faberge eggs are elegant but I prefer Faberge bacon.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

"A R:nen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> If there is an actual poll out there, it is bound to be from the
> domestic perspective, plus the collective memory seems to be very
> short so active athletes are likely to get more votes.

It's all that beer that effects the memory.

"Geraard Spergen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Frank Drackman wrote:
>> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Who is Belgium's greatest cycling star?
>>>
>>> No peeking at the answer, just type in the first name that comes to
>>> mind.
>>>
>>> -RjC.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ryan Cousineau [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com/
>>> "My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
>>> Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

>> Ludo

> Nessun Walloon?
>
> Criquiellion (I probably misspelled that)

http://www.ludodierckxsens.be/

Anyone know where I can get a helmet like his?