a quick, simple question

ah, right. thank you. now i only have stomach on seat to worry about
before i reach level 4.

sorry for clogging RSU for such a basic question, and let's hope this
thread descends out of the way quickly.

[edit]

didn't see the other posts. how would you accomplish number 2, then?
you say it's done without leaning?

--
krring
krring's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11391

krring wrote:

> sorry for clogging RSU for such a basic question, and let's hope this
> thread descends out of the way quickly.
>
> didn't see the other posts. how would you accomplish number 2, then?
> you say it's done without leaning?

The forum is here for you to ask questions. Don't apologise.

Number (2) does involve leaning, but the emphasis is on the timing - a
sudden sharp turn in time with a single pedal stroke, rather than a
gradual turn over several strokes.

--
Mikefule

"Do not listen to Mikefule."
Forrestunifreak

--
Mikefule

"Do not listen to Mikefule."
Forrestunifreak

Mikefule wrote:
> Depends which sort you want to know about. There are two distinct types:
> pirouettes of Penzance, or pirouettes of the Caribbean.

Mike still has it!:cool: :D I suppose this is a new high or new low,
depending on whether you liked it or not.

--
brian.slater

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference. If you try not
to confuse me, that will confuse me.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

krring wrote:
> what do the 'sharp turns' in the iuf skill levels entail? is it a twist,
> an ordinary leaning turn, or anything that's tight enough?

I don't know which version of the iuf skill levels you refer to. The
most recent version that I could find online is from 2004, see
http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/ . There is no mention of 'sharp
turns', but some turns have to be performed within (or inside) a 1
meter circle. I take that as being a -diameter -of 1 meter. So podzol's
answer was most accurate.

The USA skill levels on
http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling/skills/skills.html -do -speak of
sharp turns. So it seems that USA and IUF have a slight difference
there.

To further compound the issue, on a page about the USA skill levels
(see http://www.unicycling.org/usa/levels/ (copyright 2000)), under
10.4 it is stated that 'sharp turns' means that the turn has to made
within a 1 x 1 meter square, and the supplied diagrams support that.
This is probably a relict of an older version. Lower in the same
document, under the level descriptions, the 'circle' descriptions are
used, complete with the same 'within' versus 'inside' as in the IUF
skill levels.

--
Klaas Bil
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

Klaas Bil wrote:
> I don't know which version of the iuf skill levels you refer to...

Klaas points out a minor weak point in the skill levels as written:
http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/
(Both IUF and USA use the same text in the levels; only the additional
detail is different)

I believe the intent with the 1 meter circles is to confine one's turns
to a 1m radius, in the case of the 90 degree turns, and a 1m diameter
for the 180s. The people who came up with the 1m *square* for the USA
levels showed their greater amount of experience with level testing.
The turn radius is still about the same, but it's much easier to see if
the rider completed it within the space.

chosen wrote:
> why do people concern themselves with levels? im not with that really.
> all it proves is that you can do a bunch of little things. i go for big
> things. keeps it more fun.

A bunch of little skills equals one big level. What's another example
of a big thing? People who are interested in levels are ones looking
for a structured set of challenges, or perhaps a way to "quantify"
their relative ability to do the kinds of skills within the levels.
They are not for everyone, just for those who have "chosen" to be
interested.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

johnfoss wrote:
> Klaas points out a minor weak point in the skill levels
> I believe the intent with the 1 meter circles is to confine one's turns
> to a 1m radius, in the case of the 90 degree turns

Another minor weak point there. A 90 degree turn of 1 meter radius does
-not -fit in a circle with a 1 meter diameter. It -would -fit in a 1 x
1 meter square, as per the drawings that I refered to and that seem to
be part of the rules.

To many people, such things may seem too much ado about nothing. But
with some more thought, these inconsistencies are avoided without it
being any more wordy or difficult to understand. I mean this in a
constructive way, not to nag. I know a few more of these 'errors'.

--
Klaas Bil
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

i'm not all that concerned with levels, but i like to keep track of them
as an aside. i was mistakenly referring to
http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling/skills/skills.html, thinking those
were the iuf ones. couldn't you just idle your way round that, though?

well, please enlighten, mike. what is the difference?