A Range Rover story

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by The Big Baguett, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. So there I was this morning, toiling up a hill against the wind. The 'road' was wet and narrow with
    broken edges -- definitely not the kind where you can just slip onto the verge. Then round the
    corner up ahead comes a Range Rover. It wasn't his fault he took up almost all the available space
    -- there wasn't much of it. I sighed and prepared to hop off and drag the bike up onto the verge. At
    which point the Range Rover slowed down, pulled way over onto the verge and stopped. I cycled on up
    the hill, acknowledging him -- a middle aged man -- as I went past. He nodded affably, waited till I
    was safely past, then pulled back onto the road and went on his way.

    Juts thought I'd mention it.
    --
    The Big Baguette

    Tags:

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So there I was this morning, toiling up a hill against the wind. The 'road' was wet and narrow
    > with broken edges -- definitely not the kind where you can just slip onto the verge. Then round
    > the corner up ahead comes a Range Rover. It wasn't his fault he took up almost all the available
    > space -- there wasn't much of it. I sighed and prepared to hop off and drag the bike up onto the
    > verge. At which point the Range Rover slowed down, pulled way over onto the verge and stopped. I
    > cycled on up the hill, acknowledging him -- a middle aged man -- as I went past. He nodded
    > affably, waited till I was safely past, then pulled back onto the road and went on his way.
    >
    > Juts thought I'd mention it.
    > --
    > The Big Baguette

    ...what!!!...he didn't then reverse up at you at speed to apologise ???? ;-)

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 12:33:44 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

    >the Range Rover slowed down, pulled way over onto the verge and stopped. I cycled on up the hill,
    >acknowledging him -- a middle aged man -- as I went past. He nodded affably, waited till I was
    >safely past, then pulled back onto the road and went on his way.

    Blimey! Common enough amongst Landie drivers but a Range Rover? Obviously Brian Aldridge out to get
    some clandestine nookie and didn't want some story of his driving getting back to Jennifer.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  4. In article <[email protected]>, Dave <no- [email protected]> writes

    >"The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> So there I was this morning, toiling up a hill against the wind. The 'road' was wet and narrow
    >> with broken edges -- definitely not the kind where you can just slip onto the verge. Then round
    >> the corner up ahead comes a Range Rover. It wasn't his fault he took up almost all the available
    >> space -- there wasn't much of it. I sighed and prepared to hop off and drag the bike up onto the
    >> verge. At which point the Range Rover slowed down, pulled way over onto the verge and stopped. I
    >> cycled on up the hill, acknowledging him -- a middle aged man -- as I went past. He nodded
    >> affably, waited till I was safely past, then pulled back onto the road and went on his way.
    >>
    >> Juts thought I'd mention it.
    >> --
    >> The Big Baguette
    >
    >...what!!!...he didn't then reverse up at you at speed to apologise ???? ;-)

    I have to tell you I was impressed.

    What has impressed me less is that it was pissing down while I was out -
    - and now the sun is shining.
    --
    The Big Baguette

  5. > I cycled on up the hill, acknowledging him -- a middle aged man -- as I went past. He nodded
    > affably, waited till I was safely past, then pulled back onto the road and went on his way.

    What a nice man - you too, for acknowledging the courtesy. I work on the theory that if a driver
    shows me courtesy, I acknowledge with a friendly wave, or spoken thank you - hopefully a bit of
    politeness means they'll be courteous to cyclistrs in the future. One can but hope.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > > I cycled on up the hill, acknowledging him -- a middle aged man -- as I went past. He nodded
    > > affably, waited till I was safely past, then pulled back onto the road and went on his way.
    >
    > What a nice man - you too, for acknowledging the courtesy. I work on the
    theory
    > that if a driver shows me courtesy, I acknowledge with a friendly wave, or spoken thank you -
    > hopefully a bit of politeness means they'll be
    courteous to
    > cyclistrs in the future. One can but hope.
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    ...with you on that one Helen, always...and in every aspect of life...a polite please and thank-you
    goes a long way...or at least I keep optimistically hoping it does ;-).

    Talking of which and totally unrelated and OT but...I was amused earlier today when I spotted some
    local scumbucket dropping the wrapping off her recently purchased Somerfield special sandwich
    suprise as I passed. I reached down, picked up the offending litter and passed it back to her,
    informing her she'd just dropped it. Her (what I assumed to be) mother took it off me and all three
    wimmin stood and stared as I turned to go back about my business. About 10 seconds later as I
    reached my wife and we were turning into the supermarket's door, I cast a glance over the shoulder
    to see them still looking, dropping the litter once more and mouthing some obscenities, (probably
    about my parentage, but they wouldn't have realised that!!). This was a couple of women who appeared
    to be in their mid-thirties and an older woman (anything from mid-50's - 70ish), seemed like a
    couple of sisters and mom. It stunned me that none of them appeared to think they'd done anything
    wrong (admittedly not on a par with mowing down cyclists with MDGs, but still) and I bet they
    complain of the area they live in being a sh*thole and probably also blame the local council /
    government / asylum seekers / Pakis, etcetc for it...... Still, you live in hope, eh.. It is fun
    handing people their carelessly discarded rubbish back and they're usually too stunned to respond if
    you don't hang about and get out of there smartish, like!! Dave.

  7. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Dave <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It is fun handing people their carelessly discarded rubbish back and they're usually too stunned
    > to respond if you don't hang about and get out of there smartish, like!!

    It's much more fun when it's a fag end.

  8. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > It is fun handing people their carelessly discarded rubbish back and they're usually too stunned
    > to respond ...

    I'm with you there. I remember one lunchtime walking past a trio of women sat in a parked car at the
    side of the road in the village where I work. As I was coming up to the car, the driver dropped a
    sandwich packet out of the window. I passed it right back in, saying "Excuse me, you dropped this".

    At least in this case I don't think they dropped it again.

    Thomas Paine

  9. Paul - XXX

    Paul - XXX Guest

    Dave deftly scribbled:

    > It is fun handing people their carelessly discarded rubbish back and
    they're
    > usually too stunned to respond if you don't hang about and get out of
    there
    > smartish, like!! Dave.

    I once handed back a rider his front wheel ... He didn't seem impressed ...

    I was a junction marshall at the time though .. ;)

    --
    ...................................Paul-xxx Seti 1399 wu in 10037 hours
    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  10. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Marc <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It's much more fun when it's a fag end.

    ...tossed back through the car window its just come out of ;-)

    Tony
    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  11. Madasu

    Madasu Guest

    On 09 Feb 2003 14:40:12 GMT, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter went and written:

    >> I cycled on up the hill, acknowledging him -- a middle aged man -- as I went past. He nodded
    >> affably, waited till I was safely past, then pulled back onto the road and went on his way.
    >
    > What a nice man - you too, for acknowledging the courtesy. I work on the theory that if a driver
    > shows me courtesy, I acknowledge with a friendly wave, or spoken thank you - hopefully a bit of
    > politeness means they'll be courteous to cyclistrs in the future. One can but hope.

    Me too Helen. But it works both ways. I was on-road this weekend and on a narrow road with a white
    transit behind me & approaching a bend. It seemed to me easier to slow down and ride tight in rather
    than to worry about the van for the next half a mile. The van passed and I got the 'hazard warning
    lights' thanks. Well it made me feel good.

    Oh...hi btw. I've been lurking for ages
    --
    Madasu

  12. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > Marc <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > It's much more fun when it's a fag end.
    >
    > ...tossed back through the car window its just come out of ;-)
    >
    > Tony
    > --
    Oh how I long for that opportunity !....requires perfect timing...been the victim of the flyin' fag
    many a-time...(a-hem!...that's a UK fag, not a US fag!!), both on motor-cycle and bike. Although
    scary on a push-bike it's downright lethal on a motor-bike, especially if you have your visor up,
    'cos it's such a gorgeous day. In fact, offisher, this is my prime reason for trying to make sure
    cars don't overtake me when I'm out on me motor-bike!!!

  13. "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > I cycled on up the hill, acknowledging him -- a middle aged man -- as I went past. He nodded
    > > affably, waited till I was safely past, then pulled back onto the road and went on his way.
    >
    > What a nice man - you too, for acknowledging the courtesy. I work on the
    theory
    > that if a driver shows me courtesy, I acknowledge with a friendly wave, or spoken thank you -
    > hopefully a bit of politeness means they'll be
    courteous to
    > cyclistrs in the future. One can but hope.
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    I do the same. This morning a Beamer driver waiting to turn right from a side road waited for me to
    turn right from the main road into the side road , most unusual. Naturally I blew him a kiss.

    Marnie.

  14. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > At which point the Range Rover slowed down, pulled way over onto the verge and stopped. I cycled
    > on up the hill, acknowledging him -- a middle aged man -- as I went past. He nodded affably,
    > waited till I was safely past, then pulled back onto the road and went on his way.
    >
    > Juts thought I'd mention it.

    You shouldn't do that. If the place that sold it to him get to hear, they'll no doubt find himn in
    breach of contract and repossess it!

    Toby

  15. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    > Blimey! Common enough amongst Landie drivers but a Range Rover? Obviously Brian Aldridge out to
    > get some clandestine nookie and didn't want some story of his driving getting back to Jennifer.

    Have you noticed the only person who ever rides a bike in Ambridge is Linda Snell? (Linda
    is generally a figure of fun; opinionated, and a bit of a crank, for those unfamiliar with
    The Archers.)

    Toby

  16. Graeme Dods

    Graeme Dods Guest

    news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
    > It is fun handing people their carelessly discarded rubbish back and they're usually too stunned
    > to respond if you don't hang about and get out of there smartish, like!!

    I can beat that, but I don't recommend anyone else trying what I did. I was cycling home along one
    of the converted railway tracks in Edinburgh when I saw some teenage ned take finish the glass
    bottle of whatever he was drinking (Lucozade or something) and then throw it down on the ground,
    smashing it (I'm fairly certain smashing it was his intention). Most of the glass seemed to be held
    in by a plastic covering on the bottle, but enough of it spread around to cause problems. I
    deliberately skidded loudly to a halt directly behind him (he hadn't seen or heard me) and as he
    jumped from fright I shouted at him to pick all the glass up. He was so shocked he timidly picked up
    what he could and kicked the rest into the verge then carried the bulk of it to the nearest bin a
    good hundred yards or so away. I'm sure he'd have dumped it before then as he kept looking around at
    me, but I cycled slowly behind him with a "I'll stand for none of your nonsense" look I learned from
    friends/relatives who are teachers.

    I felt pretty chuffed with myself afterwards then gradually it dawned on me that as this was a ned
    with a broken bottle then I was damned lucky he didn't take exception to being told what to do!

    Have fun! (but think carefully before reacting to stuff that pisses you off)

    Graeme

  17. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Graeme Dods wrote:
    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    [snip good anecdote]

    > Have fun! (but think carefully before reacting to stuff that pisses you off)

    Indeed - although TBH neds (at least singly) are usually spineless wimps.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  18. Lardy Ninja

    Lardy Ninja Guest

    Marnie Crittle wrote:
    > "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>>I cycled on up the hill, acknowledging him -- a middle aged man -- as I went past. He nodded
    >>>affably, waited till I was safely past, then pulled back onto the road and went on his way.
    >>
    >>What a nice man - you too, for acknowledging the courtesy. I work on the
    >
    > theory
    >
    >>that if a driver shows me courtesy, I acknowledge with a friendly wave, or spoken thank you -
    >>hopefully a bit of politeness means they'll be
    >
    > courteous to
    >
    >>cyclistrs in the future. One can but hope.
    >>
    >>Cheers, helen s
    >

    > I do the same. This morning a Beamer driver waiting to turn right from a side road waited for me
    > to turn right from the main road into the side road , most unusual. Naturally I blew him a kiss.
    >
    > Marnie.

    Aaaaaaah sweeeeet!! What a lovely thread, makes ya feel good about human nature :)

    LN

  19. Fortyeight16

    Fortyeight16 Guest

    "Madasu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Me too Helen. But it works both ways. I was on-road this weekend and on
    > narrow road with a white transit behind me & approaching a bend. It seemed to me easier to slow
    > down and ride tight in rather than to worry about the van for the next half a mile. The van passed
    > and I got the 'hazard warning lights' thanks. Well it made me feel good.

    I usually see something to thank a driver for every day, even if it's just a wave to say "thanks for
    not cutting me up". A little graciousness goes a long way.

  20. Toby Barrett <[email protected]> wrote: ( Have you noticed the only person who ever rides a
    bike in Ambridge is Linda ) Snell? (Linda is generally a figure of fun; opinionated, and a bit of a
    ( crank, for those unfamiliar with The Archers.)

    Close questioning of the only expert I know suggests that several of the younger inhabitants use
    bicycles, and that bicycles left outside houses at nights are a frequent and sure sign of illicit
    nookie. My expert failed to come up with any names.

    Don't any of the farm workers use bikes? Are there farm workers?

    ("Doesn't Ned Larkin still have a bike?")