A Range Rover story

The Big Baguett

Guest
So there I was this morning, toiling up a hill against the wind. The 'road' was wet and narrow with
broken edges -- definitely not the kind where you can just slip onto the verge. Then round the
corner up ahead comes a Range Rover. It wasn't his fault he took up almost all the available space
-- there wasn't much of it. I sighed and prepared to hop off and drag the bike up onto the verge. At
which point the Range Rover slowed down, pulled way over onto the verge and stopped. I cycled on up
the hill, acknowledging him -- a middle aged man -- as I went past. He nodded affably, waited till I
was safely past, then pulled back onto the road and went on his way.

Juts thought I'd mention it.
--
The Big Baguette

"The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So there I was this morning, toiling up a hill against the wind. The 'road' was wet and narrow
> with broken edges -- definitely not the kind where you can just slip onto the verge. Then round
> the corner up ahead comes a Range Rover. It wasn't his fault he took up almost all the available
> space -- there wasn't much of it. I sighed and prepared to hop off and drag the bike up onto the
> verge. At which point the Range Rover slowed down, pulled way over onto the verge and stopped. I
> cycled on up the hill, acknowledging him -- a middle aged man -- as I went past. He nodded
> affably, waited till I was safely past, then pulled back onto the road and went on his way.
>
> Juts thought I'd mention it.
> --
> The Big Baguette

...what!!!...he didn't then reverse up at you at speed to apologise ???? ;-)

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 12:33:44 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

>the Range Rover slowed down, pulled way over onto the verge and stopped. I cycled on up the hill,
>acknowledging him -- a middle aged man -- as I went past. He nodded affably, waited till I was
>safely past, then pulled back onto the road and went on his way.

Blimey! Common enough amongst Landie drivers but a Range Rover? Obviously Brian Aldridge out to get
some clandestine nookie and didn't want some story of his driving getting back to Jennifer.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

In article <[email protected]>, Dave <no- [email protected]> writes

>"The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> So there I was this morning, toiling up a hill against the wind. The 'road' was wet and narrow
>> with broken edges -- definitely not the kind where you can just slip onto the verge. Then round
>> the corner up ahead comes a Range Rover. It wasn't his fault he took up almost all the available
>> space -- there wasn't much of it. I sighed and prepared to hop off and drag the bike up onto the
>> verge. At which point the Range Rover slowed down, pulled way over onto the verge and stopped. I
>> cycled on up the hill, acknowledging him -- a middle aged man -- as I went past. He nodded
>> affably, waited till I was safely past, then pulled back onto the road and went on his way.
>>
>> Juts thought I'd mention it.
>> --
>> The Big Baguette
>
>...what!!!...he didn't then reverse up at you at speed to apologise ???? ;-)

I have to tell you I was impressed.

What has impressed me less is that it was pissing down while I was out -
- and now the sun is shining.
--
The Big Baguette

> I cycled on up the hill, acknowledging him -- a middle aged man -- as I went past. He nodded
> affably, waited till I was safely past, then pulled back onto the road and went on his way.

What a nice man - you too, for acknowledging the courtesy. I work on the theory that if a driver
shows me courtesy, I acknowledge with a friendly wave, or spoken thank you - hopefully a bit of
politeness means they'll be courteous to cyclistrs in the future. One can but hope.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

> > I cycled on up the hill, acknowledging him -- a middle aged man -- as I went past. He nodded
> > affably, waited till I was safely past, then pulled back onto the road and went on his way.
>
> What a nice man - you too, for acknowledging the courtesy. I work on the
theory
> that if a driver shows me courtesy, I acknowledge with a friendly wave, or spoken thank you -
> hopefully a bit of politeness means they'll be
courteous to
> cyclistrs in the future. One can but hope.
>
> Cheers, helen s

...with you on that one Helen, always...and in every aspect of life...a polite please and thank-you
goes a long way...or at least I keep optimistically hoping it does ;-).

Talking of which and totally unrelated and OT but...I was amused earlier today when I spotted some
local scumbucket dropping the wrapping off her recently purchased Somerfield special sandwich
suprise as I passed. I reached down, picked up the offending litter and passed it back to her,
informing her she'd just dropped it. Her (what I assumed to be) mother took it off me and all three
wimmin stood and stared as I turned to go back about my business. About 10 seconds later as I
reached my wife and we were turning into the supermarket's door, I cast a glance over the shoulder
to see them still looking, dropping the litter once more and mouthing some obscenities, (probably
about my parentage, but they wouldn't have realised that!!). This was a couple of women who appeared
to be in their mid-thirties and an older woman (anything from mid-50's - 70ish), seemed like a
couple of sisters and mom. It stunned me that none of them appeared to think they'd done anything
wrong (admittedly not on a par with mowing down cyclists with MDGs, but still) and I bet they
complain of the area they live in being a sh*thole and probably also blame the local council /
government / asylum seekers / Pakis, etcetc for it...... Still, you live in hope, eh.. It is fun
handing people their carelessly discarded rubbish back and they're usually too stunned to respond if
you don't hang about and get out of there smartish, like!! Dave.

Dave <[email protected]> wrote:

> It is fun handing people their carelessly discarded rubbish back and they're usually too stunned
> to respond if you don't hang about and get out of there smartish, like!!

It's much more fun when it's a *** end.

Dave wrote:
> It is fun handing people their carelessly discarded rubbish back and they're usually too stunned
> to respond ...

I'm with you there. I remember one lunchtime walking past a trio of women sat in a parked car at the
side of the road in the village where I work. As I was coming up to the car, the driver dropped a
sandwich packet out of the window. I passed it right back in, saying "Excuse me, you dropped this".

At least in this case I don't think they dropped it again.

Thomas Paine

Dave deftly scribbled:

> It is fun handing people their carelessly discarded rubbish back and
they're
> usually too stunned to respond if you don't hang about and get out of
there
> smartish, like!! Dave.

I once handed back a rider his front wheel ... He didn't seem impressed ...

I was a junction marshall at the time though .. ;)

--
...................................Paul-*** Seti 1399 wu in 10037 hours
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Marc <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's much more fun when it's a *** end.

...tossed back through the car window its just come out of ;-)

Tony
--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn

On 09 Feb 2003 14:40:12 GMT, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter went and written:

>> I cycled on up the hill, acknowledging him -- a middle aged man -- as I went past. He nodded
>> affably, waited till I was safely past, then pulled back onto the road and went on his way.
>
> What a nice man - you too, for acknowledging the courtesy. I work on the theory that if a driver
> shows me courtesy, I acknowledge with a friendly wave, or spoken thank you - hopefully a bit of
> politeness means they'll be courteous to cyclistrs in the future. One can but hope.

Me too Helen. But it works both ways. I was on-road this weekend and on a narrow road with a white
transit behind me & approaching a bend. It seemed to me easier to slow down and ride tight in rather
than to worry about the van for the next half a mile. The van passed and I got the 'hazard warning
lights' thanks. Well it made me feel good.

Oh...hi btw. I've been lurking for ages
--
Madasu

> Marc <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > It's much more fun when it's a *** end.
>
> ...tossed back through the car window its just come out of ;-)
>
> Tony
> --
Oh how I long for that opportunity !....requires perfect timing...been the victim of the flyin' ***
many a-time...(a-hem!...that's a UK ***, not a US ***!!), both on motor-cycle and bike. Although
scary on a push-bike it's downright lethal on a motor-bike, especially if you have your visor up,
'cos it's such a gorgeous day. In fact, offisher, this is my prime reason for trying to make sure
cars don't overtake me when I'm out on me motor-bike!!!

> > I cycled on up the hill, acknowledging him -- a middle aged man -- as I went past. He nodded
> > affably, waited till I was safely past, then pulled back onto the road and went on his way.
>
> What a nice man - you too, for acknowledging the courtesy. I work on the
theory
> that if a driver shows me courtesy, I acknowledge with a friendly wave, or spoken thank you -
> hopefully a bit of politeness means they'll be
courteous to
> cyclistrs in the future. One can but hope.
>
> Cheers, helen s

I do the same. This morning a Beamer driver waiting to turn right from a side road waited for me to
turn right from the main road into the side road , most unusual. Naturally I blew him a kiss.

Marnie.

The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> At which point the Range Rover slowed down, pulled way over onto the verge and stopped. I cycled
> on up the hill, acknowledging him -- a middle aged man -- as I went past. He nodded affably,
> waited till I was safely past, then pulled back onto the road and went on his way.
>
> Juts thought I'd mention it.

You shouldn't do that. If the place that sold it to him get to hear, they'll no doubt find himn in
breach of contract and repossess it!

Toby

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> Blimey! Common enough amongst Landie drivers but a Range Rover? Obviously Brian Aldridge out to
> get some clandestine nookie and didn't want some story of his driving getting back to Jennifer.

Have you noticed the only person who ever rides a bike in Ambridge is Linda Snell? (Linda
is generally a figure of fun; opinionated, and a bit of a crank, for those unfamiliar with
The Archers.)

Toby

news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
> It is fun handing people their carelessly discarded rubbish back and they're usually too stunned
> to respond if you don't hang about and get out of there smartish, like!!

I can beat that, but I don't recommend anyone else trying what I did. I was cycling home along one
of the converted railway tracks in Edinburgh when I saw some teenage ned take finish the glass
bottle of whatever he was drinking (Lucozade or something) and then throw it down on the ground,
smashing it (I'm fairly certain smashing it was his intention). Most of the glass seemed to be held
in by a plastic covering on the bottle, but enough of it spread around to cause problems. I
deliberately skidded loudly to a halt directly behind him (he hadn't seen or heard me) and as he
jumped from fright I shouted at him to pick all the glass up. He was so shocked he timidly picked up
what he could and kicked the rest into the verge then carried the bulk of it to the nearest bin a
good hundred yards or so away. I'm sure he'd have dumped it before then as he kept looking around at
me, but I cycled slowly behind him with a "I'll stand for none of your nonsense" look I learned from
friends/relatives who are teachers.

I felt pretty chuffed with myself afterwards then gradually it dawned on me that as this was a ned
with a broken bottle then I was damned lucky he didn't take exception to being told what to do!

Have fun! (but think carefully before reacting to stuff that pisses you off)

Graeme

Graeme Dods wrote:
> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message

[snip good anecdote]

> Have fun! (but think carefully before reacting to stuff that pisses you off)

Indeed - although TBH neds (at least singly) are usually spineless wimps.

--
Guy
===

Marnie Crittle wrote:
> "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>>I cycled on up the hill, acknowledging him -- a middle aged man -- as I went past. He nodded
>>>affably, waited till I was safely past, then pulled back onto the road and went on his way.
>>
>>What a nice man - you too, for acknowledging the courtesy. I work on the
>
> theory
>
>>that if a driver shows me courtesy, I acknowledge with a friendly wave, or spoken thank you -
>>hopefully a bit of politeness means they'll be
>
> courteous to
>
>>cyclistrs in the future. One can but hope.
>>
>>Cheers, helen s
>

> I do the same. This morning a Beamer driver waiting to turn right from a side road waited for me
> to turn right from the main road into the side road , most unusual. Naturally I blew him a kiss.
>
> Marnie.

Aaaaaaah sweeeeet!! What a lovely thread, makes ya feel good about human nature :)

LN

"Madasu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Me too Helen. But it works both ways. I was on-road this weekend and on
> narrow road with a white transit behind me & approaching a bend. It seemed to me easier to slow
> down and ride tight in rather than to worry about the van for the next half a mile. The van passed
> and I got the 'hazard warning lights' thanks. Well it made me feel good.

I usually see something to thank a driver for every day, even if it's just a wave to say "thanks for
not cutting me up". A little graciousness goes a long way.

Toby Barrett <[email protected]> wrote: ( Have you noticed the only person who ever rides a
bike in Ambridge is Linda ) Snell? (Linda is generally a figure of fun; opinionated, and a bit of a
( crank, for those unfamiliar with The Archers.)

Close questioning of the only expert I know suggests that several of the younger inhabitants use
bicycles, and that bicycles left outside houses at nights are a frequent and sure sign of illicit
nookie. My expert failed to come up with any names.

Don't any of the farm workers use bikes? Are there farm workers?

("Doesn't Ned Larkin still have a bike?")