A rare outbreak of common sense?

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> The great thing about old cars is that most of them die
> over time anyway. How many cars out there still take
> leaded petrol?

Very few, and those of them that do can't move. There are
still quite a few that run on LRP though as witnessed by the
fact that many filling stations sell LRP but not diesel!

Graeme

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> Rigid horseboxes are a work of Stan and probably the
> single most incompetently driven vehicle you will ever
> encounter. There are a few which are big, expensive and
> driven by professional drivers, but large numbers are
> driven by horsey women who have NO CLUE how to drive
> something that big and are more worried about Dobbin in
> the back than about killing other road users anyway.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen while out cycling
was just such a vehicle with 3 such women sat in the front
and the word 'HORSES' writ large above them.

--
Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my
reply address)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:20:45 +0100, Danny Colyer
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>One of the funniest things I've ever seen while out cycling
>was just such a vehicle with 3 such women sat in the front
>and the word 'HORSES' writ large above them.

One of the scariest I've seen was one which had a woman of a
certain age driving it, looked like she'd blow away in a
decent puff of wind, holding the wheel in a death grip and
looking absolutely terrified. The box was on a Leyland
Terrier chassis, not an easy thing to control at the best of
times. I felt an immediate and pressing desire to be
Somewhere Else...

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

In message <[email protected]>, Vincent
Wilcox <[email protected]> writes

>So what. Who invented concentration camps?

The British.

The idea was to concentrate all the Boers into villages
where they could be watched to make sure they didn't indulge
in any guerilla warfare against the British. It made farming
a bit impractical so the Boers tended to starve, but the
Cape was strategically important.

What's this got to do with Stupid User Vehicles anyway? I'd
restrict them to 50mph like trailer caravans. It wouldn't
inconvenience anyone who needed an off-road vehicle.

--
Sue ];:))

In news:[email protected],
Sue <[email protected]> typed:

> What's this got to do with Stupid User Vehicles anyway?
> I'd restrict them to 50mph like trailer caravans. It
> wouldn't inconvenience anyone who needed an off-road
> vehicle.

Good idea. I'd suggest that goods vehicle limits should
appply to all vehicles over 2 tons. Makes it simple enough.
And takes 10mph off on NSL places apart from motorways.

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:58:22 +0100, [email protected] (Andy
Hewitt) wrote (more or less):

>Vincent Wilcox <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Dave Larrington wrote:
>> >
>> > PARIS, France -- Bulky, gas-guzzling sports utility
>> > vehicles (SUVs) could be banned from the chic but traffic-
>> > clogged streets of Paris within 18 months following a
>> > resolution passed by the city council.
>> >

>> Looks like the French are showing the way forward.
>
>Yes, who made the first MPV then?

Chrysler, in the USA.

--
Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr
Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122 Smalltalk

In article <[email protected]>,
Gawnsoft <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Yes, who made the first MPV then?
>
> Chrysler, in the USA.

What, before the Matra Espace?

But anyway, MPV != 4x4. From memory, there are no retail
French 4x4 vehicles of the X5/Range Rover/Land Cruiser
variety, nor have there ever been. In fact, aside from
military and agricultural vehicles, I can't think of many
more than the very rare Citroen BX 4x4 and various
homologation special rally things. Nothing you could walk
into a random car dealer and buy to drive away, I'm almost
certain. Can anyone think of any?

ian

Ian G Batten wrote:

> But anyway, MPV != 4x4. From memory, there are no retail
> French 4x4 vehicles of the X5/Range Rover/Land Cruiser
> variety, nor have there ever been. In fact, aside from
> military and agricultural vehicles, I can't think of many
> more than the very rare Citroen BX 4x4 and various
> homologation special rally things. Nothing you could walk
> into a random car dealer and buy to drive away, I'm almost
> certain. Can anyone think of any?

There's a 4x4 version of the Scenic and, IIRC, the Kangoo.
Renault used to do a 4x4 Espace as well. I'm not sure
whether they still do and am too idle to go and look.

There also used to be 4x4 versions of some of the mid-size
saloons with sporting pretensions - Peugeot 405 and Renault
21, I think.

The French military uses "Peugeot" 4x4's, but they're just
Mercedes-Benz G-Wagens with a lion on the front...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Dave Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:
> There's a 4x4 version of the Scenic and, IIRC, the Kangoo.
> Renault used to

Good point. Hardly going to cut it as an SUV, so they call
into the same spirit as the BX 4x4.

> do a 4x4 Espace as well.

I didn't know that.

> There also used to be 4x4 versions of some of the mid-size
> saloons with sporting pretensions - Peugeot 405 and
> Renault 21, I think.

You're right: indeed I have a memory I've driven one of the
405 4x4s. They're inevitable, I suppose: the BX and the 405
share a floorpan and more.

ian

in message <[email protected]>, Ian G Batten
('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Gawnsoft
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >Yes, who made the first MPV then?
>>
>> Chrysler, in the USA.
>
> What, before the Matra Espace?
>
> But anyway, MPV != 4x4. From memory, there are no retail
> French 4x4 vehicles of the X5/Range Rover/Land Cruiser
> variety, nor have there ever been. In fact, aside from
> military and agricultural vehicles, I can't think of many
> more than the very rare Citroen BX 4x4 and various
> homologation special rally things. Nothing you could walk
> into a random car dealer and buy to drive away, I'm almost
> certain. Can anyone think of any?

The Citroen 2cv was produced in a twin engine version for
the North African market. The front engine drove the front
wheels, while the rear engine drove the rear wheels. Both
throttles were linked to the same accelerater pedal, both
clutches to the same clutch pedal, and both gearboxes to the
same gearstick, but nevertheless I can't help feeling that
it must have been interesting to drive. The 2cv is very
light and doubling the horsepower would actually give it
good - indeed possibly terrifying - acceleration. The rear
engine could be switched off and it's clutch disengaged for
on-road use.

Apart from that the Renault Megane Scenic is available in a
4x4 version.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

Anagram: I'm soon broke.

('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Dave Larrington
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> There's a 4x4 version of the Scenic and, IIRC, the
>> Kangoo. Renault used to
>
> Good point. Hardly going to cut it as an SUV, so they call
> into the same spirit as the BX 4x4.

A BX has better ground clearance than a Range Rover, you
know. Yet another benefit of variable ride height
suspension.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

---===***<<< This space to let! >>>***===---
Yes! You, too, can SPAM in the Famous Brooke Rotating .sig!
---===***<<< Only $300 per line >>>***===---

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:05:04 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>A BX has better ground clearance than a Range Rover, you
>know. Yet another benefit of variable ride height
>suspension.

[*] May require that your main hydraulic pipe does not split
and spray the entire vehicle with LHM.

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> A BX has better ground clearance than a Range Rover, you
> know. Yet

I do. I ran a BX, with the original Ghandini ``space cadet''
intrument pack, for four years.

ian

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:05:04 GMT, Simon Brooke
> <[email protected]> wrote in message <54d6q1-
> [email protected]>:
>
> >A BX has better ground clearance than a Range Rover, you
> >know. Yet another benefit of variable ride height
> >suspension.
>
> [*] May require that your main hydraulic pipe does not
> split and spray the entire vehicle with LHM.

Makes good shampoo that stuff - doesn't it Guy? :)

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS Honda
Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:36:02 +0100, [email protected] (Andy
Hewitt) wrote in message
<1gfhvfq.4c9aenoeeiwnN%[email protected]>:

>> [*] May require that your main hydraulic pipe does not
>> split and spray the entire vehicle with LHM.

>Makes good shampoo that stuff - doesn't it Guy? :)

That was ATF, as you will remember from the smell :-D

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I do. I ran a BX, with the original Ghandini ``space
> > cadet'' intrument pack, for four years.
>
> I loved that console. The whole thing was so elegant, the
> controls were right under your fingers, and in particular
> the indicator switch was particularly neat. I drove one of
> those for quarter of a million miles.

And it was impossible to leave the rear fog light on.

The only problem I had was that Citroen were too cheap to
use a relay for the headlamps, so that thing where the
whole right side could be pressed to switch between dip and
main carried 10 Amps. Mine melted the little switch a
couple of times.

('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <54d6q1-
> [email protected]>, Simon Brooke
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> A BX has better ground clearance than a Range Rover, you
>> know. Yet
>
> I do. I ran a BX, with the original Ghandini ``space
> cadet'' intrument pack, for four years.

I loved that console. The whole thing was so elegant, the
controls were right under your fingers, and in particular
the indicator switch was particularly neat. I drove one of
those for quarter of a million miles.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; It appears that /dev/null is a conforming
XSL processor.

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:36:02 +0100,
> [email protected] (Andy Hewitt) wrote in message
> <1gfhvfq.4c9aenoeeiwnN%[email protected]>:
>
> >> [*] May require that your main hydraulic pipe does not
> >> split and spray the entire vehicle with LHM.
>
> >Makes good shampoo that stuff - doesn't it Guy? :)
>
> That was ATF, as you will remember from the smell :-D

It was crimble eve, I wasn't taking all that much notice at
the time, I just wanted to get back in to the bacon and
picalili sarnies ;-)