A REALLY big question from a South Beach Dieter

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Gary, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    I lost 75 pounds on the SBD. I also exercised (walking 2 miles
    daily...I'm 71 yrs old).

    So putting myself into this great shape, I figured I'd be able to get
    off all hypertension medications and cholesterol medications, as both
    my blood pressure and cholesterol seemed to be back to normal.

    Instead, I failed a nuclear stress test and wound up having a stent
    placed in one of my coronary orteries because of about 90% blockage.
    I got put onto aspirin and Plavix, as well as other blood pressure
    meds. Four months after the stent, I failed another nuclar stress
    test and had a second stent placed, in another artery.

    I'm still dieting, so the really BIG question is whether I ought to go
    on a different kind of diet? Could the fat in the SBD have caused my
    problems, or at least contributed to them?

    Tags:

  2. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > I'm still dieting, so the really BIG question is whether I ought to go
    > on a different kind of diet? Could the fat in the SBD have caused my
    > problems, or at least contributed to them?

    Hard to believe you're asking this question of a group of total strangers.
    Don't you think your doctors are the people most likely to give good advice?

  3. None Given

    None Given Guest

    "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > I lost 75 pounds on the SBD. I also exercised (walking 2 miles
    > daily...I'm 71 yrs old).
    > I'm still dieting, so the really BIG question is whether I ought to go
    > on a different kind of diet? Could the fat in the SBD have caused my
    > problems, or at least contributed to them?

    Are you getting most of your fats from things like fish, nuts, olives,
    avocado? They are all good for your heart. Transfats and refined carbs
    are bad for your cardiovascular system.

    I don't know how long it took to lose 75 lbs. but I doubt that dieting even
    for a year or two is enough to reverse all the damage done to your arteries
    over several decades. If I were you and my lipids, CRP, homosistine(sp),
    etc. were all good I would stick with it.

    --
    No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

  4. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    "Ignoramus6685" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > USENET advice is not gospel. There is nothing wrong about asking a
    > group of strangers for their opinions, and then evaluating those
    > opinions. Doctors are not infallible either.
    >
    > --

    No, they're not which is why a second opinion makes sense when there is
    serious business at hand. And here is someone with a very serious condition
    for whom, IMO, this group makes no sense. If he were to go to a cardio
    group and ask there both for opinions and for where to go to get
    supplementary medical advice I'd understand.

  5. "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    >I lost 75 pounds on the SBD. I also exercised (walking 2 miles
    > daily...I'm 71 yrs old).

    snip
    > I'm still dieting, so the really BIG question is whether I ought to go
    > on a different kind of diet? Could the fat in the SBD have caused my
    > problems, or at least contributed to them?

    Most ills known to man are not specifically from what we eat.....to beat the
    grim reaper we may wish it were not so but the "health cards" you were dealt
    has far more influence than specific choices you may make at the dinner
    table. As it is some people's cholesterol is impacted greatly by diet and
    others not much at all. Not to mention that it is a many year process for
    the arteries to fill with these deposits.....assuredly your arteries were
    plugging long before your diet,. in fact you can feel blessed that by losing
    the 75lbs you greatly lessened the load on your heart and might even have
    saved your life.

    I'm not sure what harmful fats you think the SB diet encourages....it seems
    to push fish, olive oil, lean meats lean poultry etc.....In my case I have
    increased egg use(2 eggs every morning) but have dropped 40 points
    cholesterol wise(of which it may or may not have been SB related due to
    other medications). Soggy

  6. Rox

    Rox Guest

    "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > I lost 75 pounds on the SBD. I also exercised (walking 2 miles
    > daily...I'm 71 yrs old).

    <snip>

    Somehow I think the lifestyle you had BEFORE you lost that 75 lbs is the
    problem & not the diet you used to lose those 75 lbs.

  7. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:07:52 -0500, Anthony <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]
    >> I'm still dieting, so the really BIG question is whether I ought to go
    >> on a different kind of diet? Could the fat in the SBD have caused my
    >> problems, or at least contributed to them?

    > Hard to believe you're asking this question of a group of total
    > strangers.
    > Don't you think your doctors are the people most likely to give good
    > advice?

    Absolutely not. Doctors have no clue.

    --
    Bob M
    remove ".x" to reply

  8. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    "Bob M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    >> Don't you think your doctors are the people most likely to give good
    >> advice?
    >>

    > Absolutely not. Doctors have no clue.
    >
    > --

    So who do you think? Members of Congress perhaps? Priests? Jesse Jackson?

  9. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

    Gary wrote:
    || I lost 75 pounds on the SBD. I also exercised (walking 2 miles
    || daily...I'm 71 yrs old).
    || So putting myself into this great shape, I figured I'd be able to get
    || off all hypertension medications and cholesterol medications, as both
    || my blood pressure and cholesterol seemed to be back to normal.
    || Instead, I failed a nuclear stress test and wound up having a stent
    || placed in one of my coronary orteries because of about 90% blockage.
    || I got put onto aspirin and Plavix, as well as other blood pressure
    || meds. Four months after the stent, I failed another nuclar stress
    || test and had a second stent placed, in another artery.
    || I'm still dieting, so the really BIG question is whether I ought to
    || go on a different kind of diet? Could the fat in the SBD have
    || caused my problems, or at least contributed to them?

    Unfortunately, the years of abusing our bodies isn't easily undone by a few
    months of lifestyle change.

    --
    Peter
    Website: http://users.thelink.net/marengo

  10. It's amazing that you made it to 71.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    >I lost 75 pounds on the SBD. I also exercised (walking 2 miles
    > daily...I'm 71 yrs old).
    >
    > So putting myself into this great shape, I figured I'd be able to get
    > off all hypertension medications and cholesterol medications, as both
    > my blood pressure and cholesterol seemed to be back to normal.
    >
    > Instead, I failed a nuclear stress test and wound up having a stent
    > placed in one of my coronary orteries because of about 90% blockage.
    > I got put onto aspirin and Plavix, as well as other blood pressure
    > meds. Four months after the stent, I failed another nuclar stress
    > test and had a second stent placed, in another artery.
    >
    > I'm still dieting, so the really BIG question is whether I ought to go
    > on a different kind of diet? Could the fat in the SBD have caused my
    > problems, or at least contributed to them?

  11. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Since "support" is in the name of the newsgroup, do you think you
    might be able to come up with something a bit more useful?

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 02:55:30 GMT, "JC Der Koenig"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It's amazing that you made it to 71.

  12. Perspective is useful.

    I don't expect you to understand.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Since "support" is in the name of the newsgroup, do you think you
    > might be able to come up with something a bit more useful?
    >
    > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 02:55:30 GMT, "JC Der Koenig"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>It's amazing that you made it to 71.

  13. Jim Bard

    Jim Bard Guest

    Gary, controlling your diet and body health is a great thing to do. This is
    the best thing for you.

    Unfortunately, time takes it's toll, and nothing guarantees us a day more
    health or good living than what the good Lord gives us.

    I think you are doing the right thing for you, and don't know what will
    happen in the future.All I can do is suggest that you live life by the
    flavor, not some false promise.

  14. greg

    greg Guest

    Anthony wrote:
    >>Absolutely not. Doctors have no clue.
    >>
    >>--

    > So who do you think? Members of Congress perhaps? Priests? Jesse Jackson?

    You have to search around until something makes sense to you. Taking the
    word of any of the above is foolish.

  15. A_M

    A_M Guest

    Anthony wrote:

    > "Ignoramus6685" <[email protected]NOSPAM.6685.invalid> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > USENET advice is not gospel. There is nothing wrong about asking a
    > > group of strangers for their opinions, and then evaluating those
    > > opinions. Doctors are not infallible either.
    > >
    > > --

    > No, they're not which is why a second opinion makes sense when there is
    > serious business at hand. And here is someone with a very serious condition
    > for whom, IMO, this group makes no sense. If he were to go to a cardio
    > group and ask there both for opinions and for where to go to get
    > supplementary medical advice I'd understand.

    his question is diet related though and we're a low carb group. may be
    in the most unlikely circumstances, there is a guy in here who suffered
    something similar, have given up low carb or keep on doing low carb, and
    can provide some first hand experiences. who knows???

  16. A_M

    A_M Guest

    Anthony wrote:

    > "Ignoramus6685" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > USENET advice is not gospel. There is nothing wrong about asking a
    > > group of strangers for their opinions, and then evaluating those
    > > opinions. Doctors are not infallible either.
    > >
    > > --

    > No, they're not which is why a second opinion makes sense when there is
    > serious business at hand. And here is someone with a very serious condition
    > for whom, IMO, this group makes no sense. If he were to go to a cardio
    > group and ask there both for opinions and for where to go to get
    > supplementary medical advice I'd understand.

    his question is diet related though and we're a low carb group. may be
    in the most unlikely circumstances, there is a guy in here who suffered
    something similar, have given up low carb or keep on doing low carb, and
    can provide some first hand experiences. who knows???

  17. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    "A_M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > his question is diet related though and we're a low carb group. may be
    > in the most unlikely circumstances, there is a guy in here who suffered
    > something similar, have given up low carb or keep on doing low carb, and
    > can provide some first hand experiences. who knows???

    Well sure, it's possible. What's odd is that here's a guy who has had two
    invasive procedures to unblock ateries and you'd think that his docs would
    have prescribed a very specific diet and exercise regime; I know this has
    been the case with friends of mine who have had cardio events or surgery.
    Seems a bit casual for him to just drop by a low carb grow and ask what we
    think.

  18. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    "A_M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > his question is diet related though and we're a low carb group. may be
    > in the most unlikely circumstances, there is a guy in here who suffered
    > something similar, have given up low carb or keep on doing low carb, and
    > can provide some first hand experiences. who knows???

    Well sure, it's possible. What's odd is that here's a guy who has had two
    invasive procedures to unblock ateries and you'd think that his docs would
    have prescribed a very specific diet and exercise regime; I know this has
    been the case with friends of mine who have had cardio events or surgery.
    Seems a bit casual for him to just drop by a low carb grow and ask what we
    think.

  19. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:49:56 -0500, Anthony <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "A_M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>>

    >> his question is diet related though and we're a low carb group. may be
    >> in the most unlikely circumstances, there is a guy in here who suffered
    >> something similar, have given up low carb or keep on doing low carb, and
    >> can provide some first hand experiences. who knows???

    > Well sure, it's possible. What's odd is that here's a guy who has had
    > two
    > invasive procedures to unblock ateries and you'd think that his docs
    > would
    > have prescribed a very specific diet and exercise regime; I know this has
    > been the case with friends of mine who have had cardio events or surgery.
    > Seems a bit casual for him to just drop by a low carb grow and ask what
    > we
    > think.

    But the diet and exercise regimen prescribed would be based on a
    fallacious understanding of what causes heart disease. Heart disease is
    not caused by cholestorol and low fat is horribly wrong. Doctors are fed
    lines of BS by companies wanting to sell them drugs. For instance,
    overall mortality of users of statins is no better than people who did not
    use statins. For every decrease in heart disease, there's an increase in
    effects such as cancer. Ask your doctor if they've heard that. Ask your
    doctor why statins are beneficial for heart disease (he/she will tell you
    because it's reduction in LDL, although this is NOT true; the reduction in
    LDL has nothing to do with reduced heart disease).

    The cholesterol/heart disease link is a myth. The link between high fat
    and heart disease is a myth (although the link between high carb and heart
    disease may not be).

    --
    Bob in CT

  20. Bob M