A REALLY big question from a South Beach Dieter

Gary

Guest
I lost 75 pounds on the SBD. I also exercised (walking 2 miles
daily...I'm 71 yrs old).

So putting myself into this great shape, I figured I'd be able to get
off all hypertension medications and cholesterol medications, as both
my blood pressure and cholesterol seemed to be back to normal.

Instead, I failed a nuclear stress test and wound up having a stent
placed in one of my coronary orteries because of about 90% blockage.
I got put onto aspirin and Plavix, as well as other blood pressure
meds. Four months after the stent, I failed another nuclar stress
test and had a second stent placed, in another artery.

I'm still dieting, so the really BIG question is whether I ought to go
on a different kind of diet? Could the fat in the SBD have caused my
problems, or at least contributed to them?

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> I'm still dieting, so the really BIG question is whether I ought to go
> on a different kind of diet? Could the fat in the SBD have caused my
> problems, or at least contributed to them?

Hard to believe you're asking this question of a group of total strangers.
Don't you think your doctors are the people most likely to give good advice?

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> I lost 75 pounds on the SBD. I also exercised (walking 2 miles
> daily...I'm 71 yrs old).
> I'm still dieting, so the really BIG question is whether I ought to go
> on a different kind of diet? Could the fat in the SBD have caused my
> problems, or at least contributed to them?

Are you getting most of your fats from things like fish, nuts, olives,
avocado? They are all good for your heart. Transfats and refined carbs
are bad for your cardiovascular system.

I don't know how long it took to lose 75 lbs. but I doubt that dieting even
for a year or two is enough to reverse all the damage done to your arteries
over several decades. If I were you and my lipids, CRP, homosistine(sp),
etc. were all good I would stick with it.

--
No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

"Ignoramus6685" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> USENET advice is not gospel. There is nothing wrong about asking a
> group of strangers for their opinions, and then evaluating those
> opinions. Doctors are not infallible either.
>
> --

No, they're not which is why a second opinion makes sense when there is
serious business at hand. And here is someone with a very serious condition
for whom, IMO, this group makes no sense. If he were to go to a cardio
group and ask there both for opinions and for where to go to get
supplementary medical advice I'd understand.

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
>I lost 75 pounds on the SBD. I also exercised (walking 2 miles
> daily...I'm 71 yrs old).

snip
> I'm still dieting, so the really BIG question is whether I ought to go
> on a different kind of diet? Could the fat in the SBD have caused my
> problems, or at least contributed to them?

Most ills known to man are not specifically from what we eat.....to beat the
grim reaper we may wish it were not so but the "health cards" you were dealt
has far more influence than specific choices you may make at the dinner
table. As it is some people's cholesterol is impacted greatly by diet and
others not much at all. Not to mention that it is a many year process for
the arteries to fill with these deposits.....assuredly your arteries were
plugging long before your diet,. in fact you can feel blessed that by losing
the 75lbs you greatly lessened the load on your heart and might even have
saved your life.

I'm not sure what harmful fats you think the SB diet encourages....it seems
to push fish, olive oil, lean meats lean poultry etc.....In my case I have
increased egg use(2 eggs every morning) but have dropped 40 points
cholesterol wise(of which it may or may not have been SB related due to
other medications). Soggy

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> I lost 75 pounds on the SBD. I also exercised (walking 2 miles
> daily...I'm 71 yrs old).

<snip>

Somehow I think the lifestyle you had BEFORE you lost that 75 lbs is the
problem & not the diet you used to lose those 75 lbs.

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:07:52 -0500, Anthony <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
>> I'm still dieting, so the really BIG question is whether I ought to go
>> on a different kind of diet? Could the fat in the SBD have caused my
>> problems, or at least contributed to them?

> Hard to believe you're asking this question of a group of total
> strangers.
> Don't you think your doctors are the people most likely to give good
> advice?

Absolutely not. Doctors have no clue.

--
Bob M
remove ".x" to reply

"Bob M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
>> Don't you think your doctors are the people most likely to give good
>> advice?
>>

> Absolutely not. Doctors have no clue.
>
> --

So who do you think? Members of Congress perhaps? Priests? Jesse Jackson?

Gary wrote:
|| I lost 75 pounds on the SBD. I also exercised (walking 2 miles
|| daily...I'm 71 yrs old).
|| So putting myself into this great shape, I figured I'd be able to get
|| off all hypertension medications and cholesterol medications, as both
|| my blood pressure and cholesterol seemed to be back to normal.
|| Instead, I failed a nuclear stress test and wound up having a stent
|| placed in one of my coronary orteries because of about 90% blockage.
|| I got put onto aspirin and Plavix, as well as other blood pressure
|| meds. Four months after the stent, I failed another nuclar stress
|| test and had a second stent placed, in another artery.
|| I'm still dieting, so the really BIG question is whether I ought to
|| go on a different kind of diet? Could the fat in the SBD have
|| caused my problems, or at least contributed to them?

Unfortunately, the years of abusing our bodies isn't easily undone by a few
months of lifestyle change.

--
Peter
Website: http://users.thelink.net/marengo

It's amazing that you made it to 71.

--
Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
>I lost 75 pounds on the SBD. I also exercised (walking 2 miles
> daily...I'm 71 yrs old).
>
> So putting myself into this great shape, I figured I'd be able to get
> off all hypertension medications and cholesterol medications, as both
> my blood pressure and cholesterol seemed to be back to normal.
>
> Instead, I failed a nuclear stress test and wound up having a stent
> placed in one of my coronary orteries because of about 90% blockage.
> I got put onto aspirin and Plavix, as well as other blood pressure
> meds. Four months after the stent, I failed another nuclar stress
> test and had a second stent placed, in another artery.
>
> I'm still dieting, so the really BIG question is whether I ought to go
> on a different kind of diet? Could the fat in the SBD have caused my
> problems, or at least contributed to them?

Since "support" is in the name of the newsgroup, do you think you
might be able to come up with something a bit more useful?

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 02:55:30 GMT, "JC Der Koenig"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>It's amazing that you made it to 71.

Perspective is useful.

I don't expect you to understand.

--
Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Since "support" is in the name of the newsgroup, do you think you
> might be able to come up with something a bit more useful?
>
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 02:55:30 GMT, "JC Der Koenig"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>It's amazing that you made it to 71.

Gary, controlling your diet and body health is a great thing to do. This is
the best thing for you.

Unfortunately, time takes it's toll, and nothing guarantees us a day more
health or good living than what the good Lord gives us.

I think you are doing the right thing for you, and don't know what will
happen in the future.All I can do is suggest that you live life by the
flavor, not some false promise.

Anthony wrote:
>>Absolutely not. Doctors have no clue.
>>
>>--

> So who do you think? Members of Congress perhaps? Priests? Jesse Jackson?

You have to search around until something makes sense to you. Taking the
word of any of the above is foolish.

Anthony wrote:

> "Ignoramus6685" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > USENET advice is not gospel. There is nothing wrong about asking a
> > group of strangers for their opinions, and then evaluating those
> > opinions. Doctors are not infallible either.
> >
> > --

> No, they're not which is why a second opinion makes sense when there is
> serious business at hand. And here is someone with a very serious condition
> for whom, IMO, this group makes no sense. If he were to go to a cardio
> group and ask there both for opinions and for where to go to get
> supplementary medical advice I'd understand.

his question is diet related though and we're a low carb group. may be
in the most unlikely circumstances, there is a guy in here who suffered
something similar, have given up low carb or keep on doing low carb, and
can provide some first hand experiences. who knows???

"A_M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> his question is diet related though and we're a low carb group. may be
> in the most unlikely circumstances, there is a guy in here who suffered
> something similar, have given up low carb or keep on doing low carb, and
> can provide some first hand experiences. who knows???

Well sure, it's possible. What's odd is that here's a guy who has had two
invasive procedures to unblock ateries and you'd think that his docs would
have prescribed a very specific diet and exercise regime; I know this has
been the case with friends of mine who have had cardio events or surgery.
Seems a bit casual for him to just drop by a low carb grow and ask what we
think.

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:49:56 -0500, Anthony <[email protected]> wrote:

> "A_M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>>

>> his question is diet related though and we're a low carb group. may be
>> in the most unlikely circumstances, there is a guy in here who suffered
>> something similar, have given up low carb or keep on doing low carb, and
>> can provide some first hand experiences. who knows???

> Well sure, it's possible. What's odd is that here's a guy who has had
> two
> invasive procedures to unblock ateries and you'd think that his docs
> would
> have prescribed a very specific diet and exercise regime; I know this has
> been the case with friends of mine who have had cardio events or surgery.
> Seems a bit casual for him to just drop by a low carb grow and ask what
> we
> think.

But the diet and exercise regimen prescribed would be based on a
fallacious understanding of what causes heart disease. Heart disease is
not caused by cholestorol and low fat is horribly wrong. Doctors are fed
lines of BS by companies wanting to sell them drugs. For instance,
overall mortality of users of statins is no better than people who did not
use statins. For every decrease in heart disease, there's an increase in
effects such as cancer. Ask your doctor if they've heard that. Ask your
doctor why statins are beneficial for heart disease (he/she will tell you
because it's reduction in LDL, although this is NOT true; the reduction in
LDL has nothing to do with reduced heart disease).

The cholesterol/heart disease link is a myth. The link between high fat
and heart disease is a myth (although the link between high carb and heart
disease may not be).

--
Bob in CT