A REALLY wide tire bike for the 650B crowd

news:[email protected]...

http://www.petersreviews.com/index.php?/archives/2677-Check-Out-This-Odd-
> > Custom-Beach-Bicycle.html
> >
> > or:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/y9jvdf

> Stay tuned for the Rivendell production version! A whole new niche to
> mine.....
>

> > Cheers,
> > David

Need to get a new fork and modify my frame for clearance...

Chas.

In article <[email protected]>,
"* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Solvang Cyclist wrote:
> > > All the talk lately about wide tires, then I came across this today:
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/y9jvdf

> > Stay tuned for the Rivendell production version! A whole new niche to
> > mine.....
> >

> Need to get a new fork and modify my frame for clearance...

Rivendell Schmivendell. Surly's already on it with their 26 x 4.0"
tires:

http://www.surlybikes.com/pugsley.html

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > Stay tuned for the Rivendell production version! A whole new niche to
> > > mine.....
> > >

> > Need to get a new fork and modify my frame for clearance...

> Rivendell Schmivendell. Surly's already on it with their 26 x 4.0"
> tires:
>
> http://www.surlybikes.com/pugsley.html

But the Surly stuff lacks the fine points: the cutesy name, the ornate
head badge, the over the top lugs, the big dose of self-serving BS by
GP, etc.

Will Riv call their 650B x 100 tire the Round Mound of Rebound?

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> > message
>> > news:[email protected]...

>> > Need to get a new fork and modify my frame for clearance...

>> Rivendell Schmivendell. Surly's already on it with their 26 x 4.0"
>> tires:
>>
>> http://www.surlybikes.com/pugsley.html

> But the Surly stuff lacks the fine points: the cutesy name, the ornate
> head badge, the over the top lugs, the big dose of self-serving BS by
> GP, etc.
>
> Will Riv call their 650B x 100 tire the Round Mound of Rebound?

Of course, Grant's "prose" in the Rivendell catalog and Reader is "self-
serving", but so what? Isn't all business marketing information self-
serving? I see nothing unique about that.

I do think that a lot of the Rivendell catalog is amusing and even silly,
but the fact that it is self-serving doesn't get me riled up at all.

Cheers,
David

Solvang Cyclist wrote:
> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

> > Tim McNamara wrote:

> >> Rivendell Schmivendell. Surly's already on it with their 26 x 4.0"
> >> tires:
> >>
> >> http://www.surlybikes.com/pugsley.html

> > But the Surly stuff lacks the fine points: the cutesy name, the ornate
> > head badge, the over the top lugs, the big dose of self-serving BS by
> > GP, etc.
> >
> > Will Riv call their 650B x 100 tire the Round Mound of Rebound?
> >

> Of course, Grant's "prose" in the Rivendell catalog and Reader is "self-
> serving", but so what? Isn't all business marketing information self-
> serving? I see nothing unique about that.
>
> I do think that a lot of the Rivendell catalog is amusing and even silly,
> but the fact that it is self-serving doesn't get me riled up at all.

It doesn't "rile" me either, David. It just is what it is; a guy
selling bikes to the audience he can find. Unfortunately, not everyone
sees things with your clarity. A quick tour of the Rivendell, I-Bob or
650B message boards will confirm this.

> Cheers,
> David

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in

message
> > news:[email protected]...

today:

> > > Stay tuned for the Rivendell production version! A whole new niche

> > > mine.....
> > >

> > Need to get a new fork and modify my frame for clearance...

> Rivendell Schmivendell. Surly's already on it with their 26 x 4.0"
> tires:
>
> http://www.surlybikes.com/pugsley.html

Do they come with snow tread design tires?

Chas.

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Tim McNamara wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in

message
> > > news:[email protected]...

today:

> > > Need to get a new fork and modify my frame for clearance...

> > Rivendell Schmivendell. Surly's already on it with their 26 x 4.0"
> > tires:
> >
> > http://www.surlybikes.com/pugsley.html

> But the Surly stuff lacks the fine points: the cutesy name, the ornate
> head badge, the over the top lugs, the big dose of self-serving BS by
> GP, etc.
>
> Will Riv call their 650B x 100 tire the Round Mound of Rebound?

Agreed, put on your hoodie, go have a lotti and then off to Pilades
class..

The idea is rather interesting though for folks who have to deal with snow
all winter long. I used to ride in the snow as long as it was soft and
slushy and my tires were running on the pavement underneath. I even had a
set of Clementi "Neve" sewups for riding in the snow.

I tried riding on ice and hard packed snow for a few minutes once. That
was with sewups or 700c x 28 clinchers. Didn't make it around the block.

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Tim McNamara wrote:

> message

> today:

> > > Rivendell Schmivendell. Surly's already on it with their 26 x 4.0"
> > > tires:
> > >
> > > http://www.surlybikes.com/pugsley.html

> > But the Surly stuff lacks the fine points: the cutesy name, the ornate
> > head badge, the over the top lugs, the big dose of self-serving BS by
> > GP, etc.
> >
> > Will Riv call their 650B x 100 tire the Round Mound of Rebound?
> >

> Agreed, put on your hoodie, go have a lotti and then off to Pilades
> class..

.....then come home, log on to the Riv site, read the propaganda and
plan your next Riv purchase.

> The idea is rather interesting though for folks who have to deal with snow
> all winter long. I used to ride in the snow as long as it was soft and
> slushy and my tires were running on the pavement underneath. I even had a
> set of Clementi "Neve" sewups for riding in the snow.
>
> I tried riding on ice and hard packed snow for a few minutes once. That
> was with sewups or 700c x 28 clinchers. Didn't make it around the block.

I wonder how a really wide tire would fare on hard packed snow and ice
(?). They don't work real well on automobiles, IIRC.

> Chas.

In article <[email protected]>,
"* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in

> message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > Need to get a new fork and modify my frame for clearance...

> > Rivendell Schmivendell. Surly's already on it with their 26 x 4.0"
> > tires:
> >
> > http://www.surlybikes.com/pugsley.html

> Do they come with snow tread design tires?

Beats me. Ask the folks at Surly. Here's what the bike and tires look
like:

http://tinyurl.com/y8hgtt

I rode a Puglsey around the block. 4" tires at 22 psi or whatever offer
a *cushy* ride. I rode up a curb and barely felt it. Snow would be no
problem. Glare ice might be a problem as it would be with anything but
studded tires, but other than that you could ride this on just about
anything.

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> * * Chas wrote:

<snip>
> > > Will Riv call their 650B x 100 tire the Round Mound of Rebound?
> > >

> > Agreed, put on your hoodie, go have a lotti and then off to Pilades
> > class..

> ....then come home, log on to the Riv site, read the propaganda and
> plan your next Riv purchase.
>

> > The idea is rather interesting though for folks who have to deal with

snow
> > all winter long. I used to ride in the snow as long as it was soft and
> > slushy and my tires were running on the pavement underneath. I even

had a
> > set of Clementi "Neve" sewups for riding in the snow.
> >
> > I tried riding on ice and hard packed snow for a few minutes once.

That
> > was with sewups or 700c x 28 clinchers. Didn't make it around the

block.

> I wonder how a really wide tire would fare on hard packed snow and ice
> (?). They don't work real well on automobiles, IIRC.
> >
> > Chas.

Lower the tire pressure.... ;-)

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > * * Chas wrote:

> <snip>
> > > >

> > > Agreed, put on your hoodie, go have a lotti and then off to Pilades
> > > class..

> > ....then come home, log on to the Riv site, read the propaganda and
> > plan your next Riv purchase.
> >

> > > The idea is rather interesting though for folks who have to deal with

> snow
> > > all winter long. I used to ride in the snow as long as it was soft and
> > > slushy and my tires were running on the pavement underneath. I even

> had a
> > > set of Clementi "Neve" sewups for riding in the snow.
> > >
> > > I tried riding on ice and hard packed snow for a few minutes once.

> That
> > > was with sewups or 700c x 28 clinchers. Didn't make it around the

> block.
> >
> > I wonder how a really wide tire would fare on hard packed snow and ice
> > (?). They don't work real well on automobiles, IIRC.
> > >
> > > Chas.

> Lower the tire pressure.... ;-)

Hmm...I wonder. IIRC, in automotive use, the answer was narrower tires,
studded with reduced pressure.

> Chas.

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> * * Chas wrote:
> > "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in

message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > * * Chas wrote:

> > <snip>

Pilades

> > > ....then come home, log on to the Riv site, read the propaganda and
> > > plan your next Riv purchase.

with
> > snow

and

even
> > had a

> > That

> > block.
> > >
> > > I wonder how a really wide tire would fare on hard packed snow and

ice
> > > (?). They don't work real well on automobiles, IIRC.

> > Lower the tire pressure.... ;-)

> Hmm...I wonder. IIRC, in automotive use, the answer was narrower tires,
> studded with reduced pressure.
> >
> > Chas.

When I was young, dumb and poor, I had a hotrod '58 Chevy that I ran 10"
or 12" wide street slicks on. When winter came it worked great in the
snow, I just lowered the tire pressure to about 18 PSI and started in 2nd
or 3rd gear feathering the clutch. The first time I hit a patch of ice oh
boy! I went out an bought a set of studded snow tires.

Chas.

Jasper Janssen wrote:

> 4 inch is a bit small, isn't it? those look like 8 inchers to me.

Whatever the link was, I'm glad I didn't click it!

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > message

> > > Rivendell Schmivendell. Surly's already on it with their 26 x 4.0"
> > > tires:
> > >
> > > http://www.surlybikes.com/pugsley.html

> > Do they come with snow tread design tires?

> Beats me. Ask the folks at Surly. Here's what the bike and tires look
> like:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/y8hgtt
>
> I rode a Puglsey around the block. 4" tires at 22 psi or whatever offer
> a *cushy* ride. I rode up a curb and barely felt it. Snow would be no
> problem. Glare ice might be a problem as it would be with anything but
> studded tires, but other than that you could ride this on just about
> anything.

See what I consider the bible for winter riding:
http://www.icebike.org/

Most days I ride 26x2.3" Nokian Freddies Revenz studded tires on a 44mm
"snowcat" rim commonly used in the bike Iditarod
http://www.alaskaultrasport.com/iti_home_page.html along groomed
snowmobile trails on logging roads in the mountains of NW Montana. So
long as it's not too slushy or deep it's only about 50% harder than in
the summer, and I confidently touch 30mph on the downhills. 1.9"
studded Nokian on stock narrow mtn rims on roads that are 95% black ice
can be taken all-out on rolling terrain w/out fear, once you accustom
your brain to the fact the ice is not slippery, except when you stop
and put your foot down, which will slip. There are nice cross 700c
studded tires as well. Winter riding is a little slow, but a lot
faster than snowshoes and xc skiis. Seems to me 4" is really overkill.
The only disavantage to the 2.3 studded and big rims is the weight
penalty, although the snow rims are drilled, and only about 650 gm.
4", esp combined with that monster bike, pretty much amounts to a
downhill rig, or a novelty bike.

Bill Westphal