A Rear Spoke Broke. Twice.

Keith Alexander®

Guest
Once, on a heavy incline. I was mashing maybe.
But just now, on push off.

Inflated the tires to 110PSI as usual.
Trek 1000. **** wheels, maybe?

LBS looked at the rim tape last time, said
no issues there.

Suggestions on replacements?

I'm going to the LBS to see what they say/have,
but any input would be great.

---
k e i t h a l e x a n d e r
http://www.nootrope.net
http://www.modernamerican.com
aim: nootrope9 gogogo

- - e n d t r a n s m i s s i o n - -

"Keith Alexander®" <keith@REMOVE!nootrope.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Once, on a heavy incline. I was mashing maybe.
> But just now, on push off.

How old are the spokes? How much tension is on the spokes? Where on the
spoke did it break? Was it a pulling or non pulling (torque-wise) spoke?
Drive side or non drive side?

Answers to those questions will yield much information.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:07:56 -0500, "Carl Sundquist"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>How old are the spokes?

*** Bike was purchased on 8/1/04.
450+ miles on it.

>How much tension is on the spokes?

*** How can I measure that?

>Where on the spoke did it break?

*** Popped out at the nipple.
Still attached to the hub.

>Was it a pulling or non pulling (torque-wise) spoke?

*** How can I determine that?

>Drive side or non drive side?

*** Drive.

If by "drive" you mean the side with the cassette.

>Answers to those questions will yield much information.

*** Thank you.

---
k e i t h a l e x a n d e r
http://www.nootrope.net
http://www.modernamerican.com
aim: nootrope9 gogogo

- - e n d t r a n s m i s s i o n - -

> *** Popped out at the nipple.
> Still attached to the hub.

Did it break near the nipple, or become unscrewed, or did the nipple itself
break?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Keith Alexander®" <keith@REMOVE!nootrope.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:07:56 -0500, "Carl Sundquist"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>How old are the spokes?

> *** Bike was purchased on 8/1/04.
> 450+ miles on it.
>
>>How much tension is on the spokes?

> *** How can I measure that?
>
>>Where on the spoke did it break?

> *** Popped out at the nipple.
> Still attached to the hub.
>
>>Was it a pulling or non pulling (torque-wise) spoke?

> *** How can I determine that?
>
>>Drive side or non drive side?

> *** Drive.
>
> If by "drive" you mean the side with the cassette.
>
>>Answers to those questions will yield much information.

> *** Thank you.
>
> ---
> k e i t h a l e x a n d e r
> http://www.nootrope.net
> http://www.modernamerican.com
> aim: nootrope9 gogogo
>
> - - e n d t r a n s m i s s i o n - -

"Keith Alexander®" <keith@REMOVE!nootrope.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:07:56 -0500, "Carl Sundquist"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >How old are the spokes?

> *** Bike was purchased on 8/1/04.
> 450+ miles on it.

Old age fatigue not a factor then.

> >How much tension is on the spokes?

> *** How can I measure that?

It's not easy if you are inexperienced. There are tensiometers available,
but recognizing spokes tension great enough to pop spokes should be apparent
to anyone with a little wheelbuilding experience.

> >Where on the spoke did it break?

> *** Popped out at the nipple.
> Still attached to the hub.

Hmmm ...

> >Was it a pulling or non pulling (torque-wise) spoke?

> *** How can I determine that?

Pulling spokes are the ones which "pull" the rim around. IOW, in a rear
wheel with crossed spokes (as opposed to a wheel where the spokes radiate
out directly to the rim and do not cross each other) the pulling spokes will
be the ones going counter-clockwise from the hub on the drive (cassette)
side and clockwise from the hub on the nondrive side. Pulling spokes tend to
fail because of stresses due to wheel torque.

> >Drive side or non drive side?

> *** Drive.
>
> If by "drive" you mean the side with the cassette.

Correct. Drive side spokes are subject to more tension than non drive side
spokes dur to hub flange offset to fit the cassette.

Hmmm. As a general rule, old, pulling, overtensioned drive side spokes are
the most likely to fail, but they do so more commonly at the head (hub).

Your wheels were most likely machine built, so theoretically should be
tensioned reasonably correctly. Who repaired the initial spoke break? How
many broken spokes total? All of the same type (side of the hub,
pulling/nonpulling)? I assume they were all on the rear wheel. How much do
you weigh and how many spokes were in the wheel (I expect 32 spokes for a
production wheel)?

"Keith Alexander®" <keith@REMOVE!nootrope.net> wrote in message

> >Did it break near the nipple, or become unscrewed, or did the nipple

itself
> >break?

> *** Just kinda popped loose.

Do you mean the spoke broke or that it just pulled out of the nipple and
there is no piece of the spoke remaining in the nipple?

Keith Alexander® <keith@REMOVE!nootrope.net> writes:

> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 04:52:12 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Did it break near the nipple, or become unscrewed, or did the nipple itself
> >break?

> *** Just kinda popped loose.

Thassa weird one.

Like the nipple apparently unscrewed?

Are you sure you have the correct spoke length. Like not trying to use
(inadvertently) a spoke that's a coupla mm or so less than required with a
short nipple so that you never really had a tightening in effect?

Spokes do break, especially on the dished side. But replacing it with a new
spoke/nipple pair of the correct length should solve this.

Did you hear anything when it let loose?

--
le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett
Six Day Site: http://sixday.741.com/

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:15:36 -0500, "Carl Sundquist"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Do you mean the spoke broke or that it just pulled out of the nipple and
>there is no piece of the spoke remaining in the nipple?

*** There was no spoke left in the nipple.

The spoke that was left didn'y quite reach the nipple.

The break, if it was a break, was clean.

All fixed now...

And new Bontragers on order.

---

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:30:41 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>Like the nipple apparently unscrewed?

*** Nipple was still there.

>Are you sure you have the correct spoke length. Like not trying to use
>(inadvertently) a spoke that's a coupla mm or so less than required with a
>short nipple so that you never really had a tightening in effect?

*** LBS did the repair. GOod people, limited selection.

>Did you hear anything when it let loose?

*** Oh yes.

BOTH freaking times...

---
k e i t h a l e x a n d e r
http://www.nootrope.net
http://www.modernamerican.com
aim: nootrope9 gogogo

- - e n d t r a n s m i s s i o n - -

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:58:38 -0500, "Carl Sundquist"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Who repaired the initial spoke break? How
>many broken spokes total? All of the same type (side of the hub,
>pulling/nonpulling)? I assume they were all on the rear wheel. How much do
>you weigh and how many spokes were in the wheel (I expect 32 spokes for a
>production wheel)?

*** Two, LBS, Yes, 225, 32.

---