A recipe for skinless chicken breasts?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ken Knecht, Oct 4, 2005.

  1. Ken Knecht

    Ken Knecht Guest

    I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
    for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients please.
    No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I found
    there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
    course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
    I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.

    TIA
    --
    Untie the two knots to email me

    "A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
    count on the support of Paul." George Bernard Shaw

    Tags:

  2. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Ken Knecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
    > for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients please.
    > No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I found
    > there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
    > course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
    > I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
    >
    > TIA
    > --

    Pound the breast with a wine bottle or can of soup to even out the
    thickness. Pat dry with paper towels and sprinkle with S&P. Saute in 1 TB
    butter in a nonstick pan until lightly browned on one side, the turn. Place
    a thin slice of ham and some sliced or grated cheese on the top. Cover and
    cook just until done. If you overcook it will be dry. Until you get the hand
    of it, make a small slit in the meat and look. You want to cook just until
    the pinkness is gone, not a moment longer. Remove to a plate. Add 1/4c dry
    white wine of chicken stock to the pan and scrape up the goodies. Use as
    gravy.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  3. salgud

    salgud Guest

    Peter Aitken wrote:
    > "Ken Knecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
    > > for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients please.
    > > No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I found
    > > there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
    > > course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
    > > I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > --

    > Pound the breast with a wine bottle or can of soup to even out the
    > thickness. Pat dry with paper towels and sprinkle with S&P. Saute in 1 TB
    > butter in a nonstick pan until lightly browned on one side, the turn. Place
    > a thin slice of ham and some sliced or grated cheese on the top. Cover and
    > cook just until done. If you overcook it will be dry. Until you get the hand
    > of it, make a small slit in the meat and look. You want to cook just until
    > the pinkness is gone, not a moment longer. Remove to a plate. Add 1/4c dry
    > white wine of chicken stock to the pan and scrape up the goodies. Use as
    > gravy.
    >

    > --
    > Peter Aitken

    How about a simple stir-fry?

  4. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Ken Knecht wrote:
    > I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
    > for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients please.
    > No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I found
    > there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
    > course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
    > I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.

    Grind them up and make a chicken meat loaf, or chicken croquettes.

    Sheldon

  5. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Ken Knecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
    > > for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients

    please.
    > > No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I

    found
    > > there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
    > > course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
    > > I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > --

    > Pound the breast with a wine bottle or can of soup to even out the
    > thickness. Pat dry with paper towels and sprinkle with S&P. Saute in 1 TB
    > butter in a nonstick pan until lightly browned on one side, the turn.

    Place
    > a thin slice of ham and some sliced or grated cheese on the top. Cover and
    > cook just until done. If you overcook it will be dry. Until you get the

    hand
    > of it, make a small slit in the meat and look. You want to cook just until
    > the pinkness is gone, not a moment longer. Remove to a plate. Add 1/4c dry
    > white wine of chicken stock to the pan and scrape up the goodies. Use as
    > gravy.

    I do something similar but I butterfly the chicken and then pound it flat,
    stuff it with ham and swiss cheese, bread it, and then sautee it. If I have
    the ingredients, I'll make a roux, add swiss cheese and some whisky to make
    a sauce. Delicious!

    kili

  6. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Ken Knecht wrote:
    > I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
    > for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients please.
    > No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I found
    > there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
    > course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
    > I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
    >
    > TIA

    Most of the dishes I make with skinless chicken breasts involve
    pre-cooking by either pan frying until golden brown or grilling. Thin
    sliced is nice used in wraps and thicker sliced on top of Caesar salad.
    Quite often I will make them quite similar to how Peter mentioned
    except I don't flatten them and I add sauteed mushrooms to the gravy. A
    quick tip if you want to enjoy a wrap or salad but don't feel like
    cooking - prepare 2 or three of the chicen breasts as desired, cool,
    then freeze in a ziploc bag. Use as needed.

    We like the chicken breast done in a mushroom sauce and served with rice
    or broad egg noodles. I just lightly brown the chicken breasts and
    deglaze the pan. Then I saute mushrooms and return the chicken breasts
    to the pan. I pour a can of mushroom soup mixed with 1/2 can of milk
    over the chicken and mushrooms. This is then simmered until the sauce
    is thick.

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    Ken Knecht <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
    > for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients please.
    > No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I found
    > there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
    > course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
    > I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
    >
    > TIA

    I like to marinate them in some honey, lemon juice, yellow mustard and
    just a bit of Braggs Liquid aminos along with salt free lemon pepper and
    garlic powder.

    Grill them in the electric grill for 6 to 8 minutes depending on how
    thick they are.

    Let cool, slice thin and serve with marinara sauce and mushrooms.
    --
    Om.

  8. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ken Knecht wrote:
    > > I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
    > > for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients

    please.
    > > No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I

    found
    > > there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
    > > course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
    > > I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
    > >
    > > TIA

    > Most of the dishes I make with skinless chicken breasts involve
    > pre-cooking by either pan frying until golden brown or grilling. Thin
    > sliced is nice used in wraps and thicker sliced on top of Caesar salad.
    > Quite often I will make them quite similar to how Peter mentioned
    > except I don't flatten them and I add sauteed mushrooms to the gravy. A
    > quick tip if you want to enjoy a wrap or salad but don't feel like
    > cooking - prepare 2 or three of the chicen breasts as desired, cool,
    > then freeze in a ziploc bag. Use as needed.
    >
    > We like the chicken breast done in a mushroom sauce and served with rice
    > or broad egg noodles. I just lightly brown the chicken breasts and
    > deglaze the pan. Then I saute mushrooms and return the chicken breasts
    > to the pan. I pour a can of mushroom soup mixed with 1/2 can of milk
    > over the chicken and mushrooms. This is then simmered until the sauce
    > is thick.

    If you add some sherry to the sauce it gives it a much richer flavor. My
    family has been making it that way for years; we call it Chicken Noel, but I
    have no idea why.

    kili

  9. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Ken Knecht wrote:

    > I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
    > for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients please.
    > No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I found
    > there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
    > course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
    > I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
    >
    > TIA

    Oops forgot to add - If you can get your hands on Zehnders Chicken
    Seasoning, it is most excellent on either grilled or fried chicken breasts.

  10. Ken Knecht wrote:

    > I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any
    > suggestions
    > for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients
    > please.
    > No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I
    > found
    > there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
    > course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a
    > casserole?
    > I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > Untie the two knots to email me

    A favorite of mine is to season, egg (beaten yolks only) flour and bread
    crumb a boneless, skinless breast of chicken and saute in a bit of oil
    or butter in a skillet on top of the stove till the coating sets up and
    is nicely browned then transferr to a pot with several cups of good beef
    gravy (Heinz is acceptable) and 'fricasse' or stew or simmer in the beef
    gravy with 1/2 to 1 cup of good red wine till the chicken is done, about
    20 minutes.

    Using a slotted spoon remove the chicken, stir the gravy and serve with
    rice or potatoes or pasta.

    I can eat a whle half breast this way but often times the breast is
    sliced and served in several pieces.
    ---
    Joseph Littleshoes

  11. salgud wrote:

    > Peter Aitken wrote:
    > > "Ken Knecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > >I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any

    > suggestions
    > > > for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients

    > please.
    > > > No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes

    > I found
    > > > there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked.

    > Of
    > > > course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a

    > casserole?
    > > > I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
    > > >
    > > > TIA
    > > > --

    > > Pound the breast with a wine bottle or can of soup to even out the
    > > thickness. Pat dry with paper towels and sprinkle with S&P. Saute in

    > 1 TB
    > > butter in a nonstick pan until lightly browned on one side, the

    > turn. Place
    > > a thin slice of ham and some sliced or grated cheese on the top.

    > Cover and
    > > cook just until done. If you overcook it will be dry. Until you get

    > the hand
    > > of it, make a small slit in the meat and look. You want to cook just

    > until
    > > the pinkness is gone, not a moment longer. Remove to a plate. Add

    > 1/4c dry
    > > white wine of chicken stock to the pan and scrape up the goodies.

    > Use as
    > > gravy.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Peter Aitken

    > How about a simple stir-fry?

    Or poach the bvreasts in stock or water and then when cool cut into
    large dice and marinate in a vinegrette for 1/2 hour and serve with a
    green salad.
    ---
    JL

  12. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    kilikini wrote:

    > "~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Ken Knecht wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
    >>>for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients

    > please.
    >
    >>>No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I

    > found
    >
    >>>there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
    >>>course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
    >>>I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
    >>>
    >>>TIA

    >>Most of the dishes I make with skinless chicken breasts involve
    >>pre-cooking by either pan frying until golden brown or grilling. Thin
    >>sliced is nice used in wraps and thicker sliced on top of Caesar salad.
    >> Quite often I will make them quite similar to how Peter mentioned
    >>except I don't flatten them and I add sauteed mushrooms to the gravy. A
    >>quick tip if you want to enjoy a wrap or salad but don't feel like
    >>cooking - prepare 2 or three of the chicen breasts as desired, cool,
    >>then freeze in a ziploc bag. Use as needed.
    >>
    >>We like the chicken breast done in a mushroom sauce and served with rice
    >>or broad egg noodles. I just lightly brown the chicken breasts and
    >>deglaze the pan. Then I saute mushrooms and return the chicken breasts
    >>to the pan. I pour a can of mushroom soup mixed with 1/2 can of milk
    >>over the chicken and mushrooms. This is then simmered until the sauce
    >>is thick.

    > If you add some sherry to the sauce it gives it a much richer flavor. My
    > family has been making it that way for years; we call it Chicken Noel, but I
    > have no idea why.
    >
    > kili

    It is good that way isn't it! I use a dry sherry and save the cream
    sherry for drinking :) A little white wine instead of sherry is good in
    the sauce too.

  13. > Ken Knecht wrote:
    > > I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any

    > suggestions
    > > for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients

    > please.
    > > No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I

    > found
    > > there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
    > > course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a

    > casserole?
    > > I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.

    > Grind them up and make a chicken meat loaf, or chicken croquettes.

    Add some ground shrimp and make raviolis. Or other stuffed pasta.
    Chicken and fish sausage is very good. And some mushrooms (sauce
    duxelles) makes a good filler for fish.---
    J (gesturing to "sheldon" with a specific finger) L

  14. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > kilikini wrote:
    >
    > > "~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    suggestions

    > > please.

    > > found

    casserole?

    > >>Most of the dishes I make with skinless chicken breasts involve
    > >>pre-cooking by either pan frying until golden brown or grilling. Thin
    > >>sliced is nice used in wraps and thicker sliced on top of Caesar salad.
    > >> Quite often I will make them quite similar to how Peter mentioned
    > >>except I don't flatten them and I add sauteed mushrooms to the gravy. A
    > >>quick tip if you want to enjoy a wrap or salad but don't feel like
    > >>cooking - prepare 2 or three of the chicen breasts as desired, cool,
    > >>then freeze in a ziploc bag. Use as needed.
    > >>
    > >>We like the chicken breast done in a mushroom sauce and served with rice
    > >>or broad egg noodles. I just lightly brown the chicken breasts and
    > >>deglaze the pan. Then I saute mushrooms and return the chicken breasts
    > >>to the pan. I pour a can of mushroom soup mixed with 1/2 can of milk
    > >>over the chicken and mushrooms. This is then simmered until the sauce
    > >>is thick.

    > > If you add some sherry to the sauce it gives it a much richer flavor.

    My
    > > family has been making it that way for years; we call it Chicken Noel,

    but I
    > > have no idea why.
    > >
    > > kili
    > >

    > It is good that way isn't it! I use a dry sherry and save the cream
    > sherry for drinking :) A little white wine instead of sherry is good in
    > the sauce too.

    I'm so glad someone else eats it this way, too! I usually add about 1/4 of
    a cup of sherry. You can taste the sherry, but it's not overpowering. I've
    grown up eating this dish this way and now if I go to someone's house and
    they make this sans sherry, something is definitely missing.

    kili

  15. ~patches~ wrote:

    > Ken Knecht wrote:
    > > I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any

    > suggestions
    > > for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients

    > please.
    > > No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I

    > found
    > > there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
    > > course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a

    > casserole?
    > > I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
    > >
    > > TIA

    > Most of the dishes I make with skinless chicken breasts involve
    > pre-cooking by either pan frying until golden brown or grilling. Thin
    >
    > sliced is nice used in wraps and thicker sliced on top of Caesar
    > salad.
    > Quite often I will make them quite similar to how Peter mentioned
    > except I don't flatten them and I add sauteed mushrooms to the gravy.
    > quick tip if you want to enjoy a wrap or salad but don't feel like
    > cooking - prepare 2 or three of the chicen breasts as desired, cool,
    > then freeze in a ziploc bag. Use as needed.
    >
    > We like the chicken breast done in a mushroom sauce and served with
    > rice
    > or broad egg noodles. I just lightly brown the chicken breasts and
    > deglaze the pan. Then I saute mushrooms and return the chicken
    > breasts
    > to the pan. I pour a can of mushroom soup mixed with 1/2 can of milk
    > over the chicken and mushrooms. This is then simmered until the sauce
    >
    > is thick.

    Supremes a l'Proust, chicken breasts sauted in butter with champagne
    grapes and white wine?
    ---
    JL

  16. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    This is very easy and tasty.

    Chicken a la Nancy

    (from Frank Perdue in 365 Ways to Cook Chicken)

    4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 garlic clove, finely chopped
    1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
    1 tablespoon flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1 can (14 ounces) whole artichoke hearts, drained and quartered.

    Pound chicken breasts and cut into 2 inch squares

    In a large frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Cook 2 to 3
    minutes a side, until tender and opaque. Remove chicken and keep
    warm.

    Add garlic, lemon and mushrooms to the same pan. Cook until tender,
    3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour, salt, pepper and oregano.
    Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add wine and bring to a boil, stirring
    until mixture thickens. Add artichokes and return chicken to pan.
    Simmer 2 minutes, until heated through.

  17. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Ken Knecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I have too many skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Any suggestions
    > for recipes - for one person, simple, usually on-hand ingredients please.
    > No, I've not looked on the net, I've tried too many using recipes I found
    > there that I hated. I prefer recipes others have made and liked. Of
    > course, that doesn't always work either; tastes vary. Maybe a casserole?
    > I don't mind re-heatable leftovers.
    >
    > TIA

    Yes, poach a few in some flavored chicken broth.
    When cool:
    Shred and reserve for - Chinese Chicken salad.
    Mince for a chicken salad (sandwich spread)
    Dice for a cob salad.
    Shred to use as Creamed Chicken (on Toast).

    Dimitri

  18. Faux_Pseudo

    Faux_Pseudo Guest

    _.-In rec.food.cooking, ~patches~ wrote the following -._
    > Oops forgot to add - If you can get your hands on Zehnders Chicken
    > Seasoning, it is most excellent on either grilled or fried chicken breasts.

    I have never had this Zehnders Chicken Seasoning you speak of which
    means I am completely unqualified to say that I think McCormmick Grill
    Mates Montreal Chicken seasoning is much better.

    --
    .-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
    ' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to

  19. Autumn

    Autumn Guest

    This is our favorite quick boneless chicken recipe.

    Raspberry Chicken Breast (1/2 the normal recipe)

    seasoned salt
    8 ounces boneless chicken breast cut into 1" strips
    1 tablespoon oil
    2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
    2 tablespoons sugar

    Fry chicken in oil till lightly browned. Sprinkle with seasoned salt to
    taste. Add vinegar and sugar, cook and stir till a sauce forms, about the
    consistancy of pancake syrup.

    I make this with 1 pound chicken, 2 tablespoons oil, 1/4 cup raspberry
    vinegar and 1/4 cup sugar. We wanted more sauce so I doubled the vinegar and
    sugar called for. It is really important to find a good raspberry vinegar
    for this, as I bought one once that was not so good and it was awful. The
    original recipe is from a company that sells raspberry vinegar at art and
    craft fairs, there is actual raspberries in the vinegar. I have not found
    this particular vinegar in stores. But I have been able to find several good
    brands at my local grocery store. Enjoy.

  20. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Faux_Pseudo wrote:

    > _.-In rec.food.cooking, ~patches~ wrote the following -._
    >
    >>Oops forgot to add - If you can get your hands on Zehnders Chicken
    >>Seasoning, it is most excellent on either grilled or fried chicken breasts.

    > I have never had this Zehnders Chicken Seasoning you speak of which
    > means I am completely unqualified to say that I think McCormmick Grill
    > Mates Montreal Chicken seasoning is much better.

    Zehnders of Frankenmuth makes the best chicken ever! You can find out
    more about them at http://www.zehnders.com and
    http://www.bavarianinn.com/bi/home.nsf/Public/Bavarian_Inn_History.htm
    I'm having a problem getting the first url to load without timing out so
    I don't know for sure if they have an online store but they likely do.
    They have a really nice on-site store so I stock up when there.
    Zehnders is a fine ground seasoning mix and IIRC McCormicks is a coarse
    mixture. It gives a really nice flavour & colour without the heavier
    texture. I used to use the Montreal steak spice from them but switched
    over to one put out by Tone's. It comes in a 28 container for almost
    the same price as the little containers McCormick's has and there is no
    noticeable difference in taste.